the best sound (system) you ever heard

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by helter9skelter, Sep 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. audio

audio New Member

Best sound system I've ever heard was a pristine 1940s Wurlitzer jukebox playing a mint Charlie Christian 78 about two years ago. I can't describe it...but it was absolutely stunning...the presence, the tonality,...pure magic. Astounding. I've never heard anything like it.

This should give you a pretty good idea of my general philosophy about hi-fi and where I am coming from. It is like a beautiful woman. You could hand me a photo taken in bright light where I could see with ultra-vivid clarity the structure of her face, the lines, the bone structure, the dimensions, the colors,....look at it over and over again...and remember it forever in exquisite recollection. But I would much rather skip the photo. I would rather close my eyes and experience the emotion, feel the warmth of her flesh, the smell of her hair.....even if I don't catch all the subtle details.

2. audio

audio New Member

:bigeek:

3. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

The mastering suite at Chesky Records has a 6.0 setup (L-R, elevated L-R, Rear L-R) that sound incredible...forget the exact components but it used to have Melos tube amps plus Verity Audio Parsifal speakers.

Playing the Bucky Pizzarelli Swing Live disc you were immersed in a jazz club with waitresses passing by with glasses clinking. Very hypnotic!

4. Barry Wom

Barry Wom New Member

tell me about it :-(

only got £600 for them - incredible value for money. But when I run off with Winona Ryder I'll get some more, and 63's and 989's and Avantguarde Unos!! so there!
    Tim

5. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Forum Hall Of Fame

Hi Tim,

Don't be so sure about that...... Winona's gonna have a real hard time fitting those speaks into her purse! :D

Take care,
    Jeffrey

6. Ken E.

Ken E. Senior Member

A third vote for the legendary "wall of sound" system.
    About 10 years ago I was walking up Fifth Ave. here in NYC, heard what I was sure was a piano eminating from a store in longer in business. I walked inside, made my way towards the source of this sound and found my path blocked by 25 gawking 'philes. All I know was the amplification - AirTight. I've never been fooled like that since.

7. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

I had a similar experience at the Stereophile HiFi show back in 2004 (or was it sooner?)...Bruce Candy was there with his Halcro monster amps and they were driving I think B&Ws...superbly clean and natural sounding.

Too bad I left my Amex Centurion card at home. :D

8. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Sorry to briefly hi-jack the thread, but did any of the "Dead-spinoff" bands featuring former members of the Dead utilize the same legendary sound system, or engineers (Healy and his assistant, whose name I can't remember)? Or did they go more conventional? Thanks.

P.S. Okay, back to the thread. My granddad had a system consisting of a huge Technics receiver and a pair of Thiel CS speakers, an early model. This was fed via a Sansui turntable with a MM cart, can't remember, maybe a Stanton. Not all audiophile stuff, but a magical combination when it came to a seductive midrange, of all things. Another time, I heard some electrostatic speakers that pulled a disappearing act. It was difficult, until I saw the membrane of the speaker vibrating, to believe they were producing the sound I was hearing. I'm going to the Rocky Mountain Music Fest 2, so perhaps I'll have new tales to tell, when I return.

9. audio

audio New Member

Sorry for the threadcrap, but can you discuss the difference between the 57s and 63s according to your ears?

10. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Avantgarde horn speakers make my ears bleed. Heard them with $100K+ of electronics at the last Stereophile show. Absolutely horrid.

11. audio

audio New Member

Horns are rarely pleasant, IMO. They shout and bark....no matter what. They can be loads of fun at low volume, but the minute you turn them up...they'll clear the room.

12. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Agreed.

13. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Forum Hall Of Fame

Hi,

Dan Healy is Bobby's sound engineer. :laugh: Seriously, Dan hasn't worked w/ any members of the band since '92.

IMO, the best sound people hooked up, after '95, w/ Phil. In some cases, it didn't work out. :sigh: Things change, i dug the good ole' daze.

Take care,
    Jeffrey

14. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

It is a Model 5.

15. Vinyl-Addict

Vinyl-Addict Groovetracer Manufacturer

I agree Lee. My local dealer had a pair driven with Nagra amps I believe, excruciatingly shrill sound.:eek:

16. Monsieur Gadbois

Monsieur Gadbois Senior Member

Oh yeah, these Avantgarde Meta duos($55,000!) made my ears bleed at this year's CES:

[​IMG]

17. JRH

JRH Forum Resident

Kinda

I've heard a number of great systems, but the most moved I've ever been was hearing John Lee Hooker on my buddies Quad ESL 63's. Driven by a Cary amps and a obscure and expensive subwoofer that for the life of me cant' remember the name (I think it started with an E). I just remember being 100% mismerized by the sound. I could close my eyes and virtually see Hooker sitting in front of me playing and tapping his foot. Hookers voice was just haunting. Was the system as impressive with other type of music? Well not really, but in this instance it was the best I've heard.

18. Keim

Keim Hangin' here from the start

My own. Does that mean I haven't heard very many good systems? Or, does it mean I've got a good system? Check out my profile, and judge for yourself!

19. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

I don't know Keim...I hear the Superwhamodyne speakers lack in the top end. :D

20. t3hSheepdog

t3hSheepdog Forum Artist

anyone ever hear some really really amazing electrostatics?

21. audio

audio New Member

Other than the Quads we've been discussing over the last several posts....no. Never.;)

22. Keim

Keim Hangin' here from the start

They hold their own in that department. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.