The Best Unknown Guitarist in the World

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ken E., Feb 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ken E.

Ken E. Senior Member Thread Starter

The title of a WNET Channel 13 (here in NYC) documentary, aired in 1971; concerns the late, great Roy Buchanan. I know I've seen this at 3:00 A.M. through bleary eyes since its initial airing. I have tried Google, IMDB, AV Guide, seems no one can tell definitively if this is available on any media today.
    I'd appreciate all the help I can get, THX! in advance.

2. FredCamp

FredCamp Senior Member

As far as I know, this documentary is not available in any format. I have a VHS copy that I bought about 10 years ago from a guy at a record show who was seeling tapes out of the trunk of his car. I think my copy is third or fourth generation, but I can't really tell you what the original source was.

3. rjp

rjp Senior Member

phil keaggy.

4. Done A Ton

Done A Ton Birdbrain

I saw this when it came out. There's a segment where Roy is playing a tune (Shotgun"?) with Nils Lofgren, who was probably still a teenager. Hot Stuff! If you find this, let us know. I'd love to get a copy.

5. teaser5

teaser5 Cool Rockin' Daddy

Oh yeah, I remember that show. Roy was God here in DC back then. Yes, I believe that Nils was there and as I recall a very wide eyed Jeff Beck was in the wings watching. Wasn't a song from Blow By Blow (Cause We've Parted...?) dedicated to Roy?

I have told this story here a couple of times. I saw Alice Cooper on his "Nightmare" tour at the old Cap Centre in the Maryland burbs back in the day. That particular band had the Lou Reed "Rock 'N' Roll Animal" guitarists; Dick Wagner and Steve Hunter...no slouches. Anyway the story went that Cooper knew that Buchanan lived in town and invited him to do a brief set before openers The James Gang did their thing. On the telescreen you could see both bands in the wings including Alice without his makeup watching this guy do his ****. He was astonishing. Even the glitter kids in the audience were amazed by what they heard and saw.

Buchanan and Danny Gatton...two DC area guitar legends both tragically gone. Shame... :shake:

Peace-
    Norm

PS: If anyone in the world has a tape of that show it just may be Joe Lee of Joes Record Paradise in Rockville Maryland. That's the store to visit BTW if you are ever in town. I will look into it. Also I believe that there is an authorized Roy Buchanan website....

6. teaser5

Try this link for the documentary story and much more Roy stuff.
    Cheers-
    Norm

7. Brian Cruz

Brian Cruz Forum Resident

Is that the name of the documentary? If not, I vote Kenny Vaughan, a Nashville session guy. He smokes! :thumbsup:

8. Arthur

Arthur Forum Resident

WOW! Great story Norm, thank you very much for the link.

9. FredCamp

FredCamp Senior Member

I saw this documentary when it first aired. I remember being blown away, even at the ripe old age of 11, when Roy played "Messiah Will Come Again". I'd never heard anything like it before. To this day, I think it's perhaps the greatest slow blues performance ever.

10. teaser5

My pleasure!
    Cheers-
    Norm
    :righton:

11. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

Great link Norm. Speaking of rare Roy footage has anyone else seen the footage of Jimi Hendrix and Roy jamming at the Generation Club in NYC? It's very cool footage. Jimi mainly plays rhythm and lets the then unknown Buchanan solo. From the look on Jimi's face it's obvious he's getting a kick out of watching Roy. I can't remember who else they were jamming with. I'll try and find out.

Chris

12. 120dB

120dB Forum Resident

Roy DVD

I saw a "gray market" DVD of this program for sale at a
    record show last weekend. I can't comment on the quality,
    but it is in circulation if you look hard enough.

13. MikePh

MikePh Forum Resident/Song and Dance Man

Anyone looking for this can PM me, I've got a decent VHS video of this that I paid for but really have no need for.

14. Ken E.

Sir, I greatly appreciate the offer but no longer own a VCR.
    Thank You very much anyway.
    Sorry, I do not know how to respond to a private message.

15. Ken E.

What a great story! I never realized that many of the players I have compared to RB were doing things he invented with technology that post-dated him by several years.

16. Gardo

Gardo Audio Epistemologist

I agree. :righton:

17. FredCamp

FredCamp Senior Member

Yes, and you agreed back in '71 when you were the one who insisted we watch the show. Of course, you thought it might be about Pete Townshend.:)

18. Gardo

Gardo Audio Epistemologist

Mother always liked you best! :laugh:

19. dcooper

dcooper New Member

I never had the pleasure of seeing Roy Buchanan live, but I did see Danny Gatton play at various venues around DC about 10 times before he died and I'll never forget it. I've never seen guitar played better than that, and I doubt I ever will.

Dan Cooper

20. teaser5

I have posted this here before but this seems to be the thread for me to repeat myself:
    Danny Gatton once grabbed my half empty Heineken bottle off the table at the old Psychedelly in Bethesda Maryland and played slide with it...never spilled a drop.
    I swear to God.
    An amazing player.
    Amazing

Peace-
    Norm

21. dcooper

dcooper New Member

That's funny...I only saw him do it with Budweiser longnecks. Does it sound different with an import?!

Dan

22. Steve-oh

Steve-oh Senior Member

Great article, thanks for posting, Norm. One question - the article keeps mentioning an upcoming Alligator box set. Whatever happened to that? I'd love to have a Buchanan box.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.