The best versions for each David Bowie album?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Haristar, Jul 10, 2017.

1. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

Four!

ChangesOneBowie
    ChangesTwoBowie
    Golden Years
    Fame And Fashion

Sebastich, TonyCzar and 93curr like this.
  2. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

:yawn:

3. no.nine

no.nine (not his real name)

Thank you for the link. Reading it again clarifies some things. But I'm pretty sure there was a different blog that I was thinking of when I mentioned not trusting the writer's credibility, not this one (which I had also previously seen).

Anyway, I think that the CORE point I made in my initial post here isn't in any serious dispute: that RCA stopped manufacturing Bowie CDs because their right to do so ran out, not because Bowie wanted them to stop.

I would speculate that they figured compilations would sell in higher numbers. The fact that these comps seem to be the easiest RCAs to find used might bear that out - there may have been more copies pressed. And/or there's the possibility that they just didn't have enough time before the contract expiration to get around to the live albums.

Those are my guesses, and I'm sticking to them! :D

Haha, you're right! I had forgotten about Changestwobowie!

karmaman likes this.
  4. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

the yawn is entirely appropriate!

johnnystrings likes this.
  5. HiResGeek

HiResGeek Seer of visions

I'd say as a longtime fan that the RCA CDs, while expensive and OOP, generally have the best sound. Specifically the German and Japanese RCA CDs. If you search the forum, you can get some more info on which specific RCA disc is best for which corresponding release.

This is coming from a fan who lived with the Rykos for years, and was blown away by the warmth and dynamic range of the RCAs. Pretty impressive for the early days of CD (they came out in the mid-80s and were deleted in 1988 when RCAs rights to the Bowie catalogue expired.)

I've listened to the new remasters (hi-res FLAC from HDT), the Rykos, high quality vinyl rips, and some excellent independent R2R SACDs, but the RCAs are my preferred version.

sound chaser, mdm08033 and andycherry like this.
  6. captainsolo

captainsolo Forum Resident

What I’m trying to figure out is which of the pre-Let’s Dance albums stand on US versus U.K. originals. So far when I’ve tried originals they outdo every other I’ve tried but I was wondering if you have to get an original U.K. issue for each one. Early US and dynaflex copies can sound great, but I will say that my U.K. kick cover TMWSTW is slightly better than a US one I’ve heard.

So far this is what I’ve come up with:
    TMWSTW-UK kick
    Hunky Dory-UK original
    Ziggy-UK 6E/4e
    Aladdin Sane-UK?
    Diamond Dogs-UK?
    Pinups-UK and the US dynaflex different mix
    Young Americans-US or UK? I have a US black label reissue with original stampers.
    Station to Station-UK but some swear by US originals. My U.K. is excellent.
    Low-UK?
    Heroes-UK? All I have is a US black label reissue that sounds pretty good.
    Lodger-?
    Scary Monsters-?

Solace likes this.
  7. PADYBU

PADYBU Forum Resident

I've only done a lot of comparisons for Ziggy and yes the 6E/4E "mainman" pressing is the one for me

CBackley and AaronW like this.
  8. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

i don't think so, just very different mastering. the US is extremely bright.

9. Solace

Solace Forum Resident

Good list. My favourites:
    Hunky Dory- UK 5E/3E quite convincingly. 3T/3T Bobil/Rasputin is more 'reserved; the 4E/3E has a very dull first side. Shootout: Bowie - Hunky Dory on Vinyl
    Ziggy-UK 6E/4e. But the 7e/4E is virtually identical and, of course, the 1E/1E is jolly nice too. Shootout:
    Best LP pressing of David Bowie's Ziggy Stardust ?
    Aladdin Sane- 1981 RCA International Green BILBO quite convincingly. The 3T/3T first pressing is good but more veiled and not as energetic; the US 1st is energetic but slightly shrill; the 4E/4E Dave is veiled to the point of dull. Shootout:
    Definitive David Bowie Aladdin Sane LP version?
    Diamond Dogs-UK 1st 1oly, but the RCA International Green is nice too.
    Young Americans-UK 1st
    Station to Station-I have a UK A-2E/B-1E 1st which is excellent
    Low-UK 1st
    Heroes- 3E/5E Dave or 3E/6E Dave (virtually identical) quite convincingly. Not always easy to find as there were so many pressings of this in 1977 due to Elvis's death and RCA using different plants to manufacture the album. Shootout: “Heroes” David Bowie LP (vinyl) shoot-out!
    Lodger- 2017 Visconti Remix! Finally some MUSCLE in this much maligned and brilliant record.
    Scary Monsters- UK 1st

NunoBento, mishima's dog and GyroSE like this.
  10. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

Deceptive among the others on the list, not the original mix, but the over the top reverb and butchered BKS guitar solo mix.

11. GyroSE

GyroSE Forum Resident

Good lists above. Here are my vinyl favourites:

• TMWSTW- the most recent reissue: IMHO this is one of the really good ones among the reissues, very clear and full sounding. Highly recommended.
    • Hunky Dory- UK5E/3E: for long the EMI100 pressing was my favourite but the 5E/3E has something really special soundwise. Full of life and very airy.
    • Ziggy- UK 6E/4E: I really like the 40th Anniversary pressing, it was my favourite soundwise for several years but I found the 6E/4E nearly two years ago and since then it's my favourite. It sounds full and vibrant.
    • Aladdin Sane- RCA International green label reissue: I've the 3T/3T and the EMI Millennium pressings and I like both very much but just a couple of weeks ago I found a RCA International green label pressing in great shape. This one is very good sounding with a big and full sound image. This one is now my go to version.
    • Pin Ups- UK 1st: to me this is the best sounding of all of Bowies 70's albums. Very good sound on this pressing- highly recommended if you want to show off your sound system with music from David Bowie.
    • Diamond Dogs- UK 1st (1oly): excellent pressing. I really like the RCA International green pressing but the UK 1st sounds better to these ears.
    • Young Americans- UK 1st: I've three pressings of this album (the others are GER 1st pressing and UK 1981 black label reissue) and to me the UK 1st is the best sounding.
    • Station to Station- GER 1st: a lot of people have the US 1st pressing as their favourite and some like the UK 1st more but my favourite is the German 1st pressing. I've all three pressings plus the most recent reissue, I've compared them and to these ears the German 1st pressing sounds the best on my sound system. Excellent pressing all over.
    • Low- UK 1st: I only have this pressing so I haven't been able to compare it to any other vinyl pressings.
    • Heroes- UK 1st: I've the Sterling A2/B2 pressing and I like how it sounds. I've heard good things about the 3E/5E that Solace mentions above- I'm looking for that one right now.
    • Lodger- UK 1st: I only have the UK 1st so I haven't been able to compare to any other pressing- this one is quite thin sounding IMHO. I will probably get the 2017 Visconti remix.
    • Scary Monsters- UK 1st: some prefer the US original pressing but to these ears the UK 1st sounds better.

Solace likes this.
  12. Solace

Solace Forum Resident

Yep! It's not perfect, I grant you, but I love it!

vonwegen likes this.
  13. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

It certainly does have its moments. Hard to forget the original if you grew up with that one.

14. Solace

Solace Forum Resident

Do check out the 3E/5E (or 3E/6E) 'Dave' Heroes. Much, much fuller IMO than the US 'Sterling' cut, which was used on quite a few UK pressings at the time, as well as the German 1st (I think).

GyroSE likes this.
  15. Solace

Solace Forum Resident

I'm sure if you love the original then the new one has too many changes on it. The trouble is I always hated the original mix (man, did I try...), which to me always sounded stodgy and tired. The new re-mix just openned up the whole thing for me: the band now sounds full and alive and the songs can be heard in all their brilliance. The subject for another thread, anyway.

vonwegen likes this.
  16. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

Anyone with good recommendations for his first 2 albums?
    Are the current remasters even close to originals or slightly later reissues?

17. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

The expanded deluxe mono/stereo “David Bowie” on deram/universal is good! The expanded deluxe 40th David Bowie (space oddity) is probably good enough, The RCA space oddity is better if you don’t want to sit down but hard to get and the new master is ok if you don’t mind the odd syllable missing.

Leonthepro likes this.
  18. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion

Space ditty?

Tim

CBackley, vonwegen, IFP and 2 others like this.
  19. Mikewest

Mikewest Forum Resident

The worst two Bowie tracks ever you have just mentioned!

20. Timbo21

Timbo21 Forum Resident

Has anyone got the US Sterling version of "Heroes"?

I bought a copy, which sounds great. The only issue is there is a really nasty crackle that hits on each low piano note on "Sense of Doubt" Side 2.
    It's weird because it's just when the piano note plays. I've had it cleaned with a VPI RCM, which has made no difference. I'm wondering of it's a pressing fault, or just my copy?

Many thanks

21. leonafonte

leonafonte Ah Um is life’s first and deepest impulse!

I have bought the toshiba cd box. I like so much the ‘99s.

22. FloydVivino

FloydVivino Forum Resident

Guys, sorry, non-native here. Could you please translate:

23. FloydVivino

The general consensus seems to be the best vinyl pressings you can get are the original UK or US, depending on album/era. However, those classed as G are pricey at best (and not worth risk) and the VG+ ones are ridiculous. Nevermind NMs. While waiting for richer times, I'm on to buying reissues. Try not to cringe and let me know how bad are the locally found following vinyl reissues, and what other (if any) would you recommend instead, inside the 30eur price range:

Station to Station (2017, Parlophone)
    Aladdin Sane (2016, Parlophone)
    Aladdin Sane (1981, RCA International, UK)
    Aladdin Sane (1990, EMI, UK)
    Diamond Dogs (2019, Parlophone, 45th Anniversary Edition, Red)
    Hunky Dory (2016, Parlophone)
    Low (2018, Parlophone)

I've found some UK-based NM reissues for some of these, but an added 15eur for shipping costs put them beyond budget. Among these there might be "not the best, not great, nothing like the original, but good value for money" or "please don't, not that one, wait for better times, buy a CD instead for the meantime, but that's throwing money out of the window", sort of feedback.

Any views comment, alternatives, suggestions are most appreciated!

Best
    Uncle F.

24. FloydVivino

We are referring to vinyl reissues, right?

25. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

My copy has this problem as well and it sucks because otherwise its flawless and sounds great.
    Not a mark on it and like you cleaned it , even wood glued it to know avail.

Timbo21 likes this.