The Best WHO's "Tommy" CD?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Michael, May 19, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

My friend Rich has always said the best version you can get is a Decca original - pre MCA.

2. Joe Koz

Joe Koz Prodigal Bone Brother™ In Memoriam

Luke,

Thanks for the info, I'll see if they still have it & pick it up.

Joe

3. vex

vex New Member

I have three vinyl pressings: Decca WLP, Decca stock original, and MCA reissue. I owned the MCA reissue first, and thought it sounded "okay", but never really thought about it when I bought it new all those years ago.

Later, I sought out the original Decca just from a collectable standpoint, not necessarily to get a better sounding LP. Anyway, I'm real anal about condition and it took me years to find a Decca original where both the record and sleeve were in good enough shape for my tastes (this set is notorious for showing pronounced jacket ring-wear). Of course, this was in the years BE (before eBay) and you can probably find a dozen suitable copies there at any given time... or perhaps not.

In any event, I was quite thrilled to find a good clean Decca original, and as an added bonus, it sounded WAY better than the MCA reissue. Not long after I stumbled upon a Decca WLP in immaculate condition and it sounds superb, beating the pants off the stock copy. I know there is some dispute about WLP's in general, so I'm guessing I just got lucky and have one very early in the stamper's life.

Long story short, it's certainly worth seeking out a Decca original!

4. Joe Koz

Joe Koz Prodigal Bone Brother™ In Memoriam

Vex,

Thanks, I hope I still can get this pup. I saw it about a week ago. Vex, does an original Decca have "stereophonic" printed across the top of the Decca label? I also forgot how thick and heavy the cover is.

Joe

5. Dob

Dob New Member

OK...... in that case, many people feel (myself included) that there is also a difference between the Japan CDs and the USA CDs, so we should also list the Japan versions of the original 2 CD set, the 1CD remaster, and the remix. That's three more versions. Maybe we should also include the Polydor CD versions?

6. vex

vex New Member

Hi Joe,

I can't recall what the specifics of the label are. I'm afraid my stock copy is inaccessible at the moment. I only keep the "best" copies of my collection immediately accessible for listening, with the rest being packed away. Good luck on grabbing that LP!

Vex

7. Dob

Dob New Member

I generally can't hear a difference between the original CD and the CD-R burn, but when I do (think) I hear a (VERY) slight difference, the CD-R is the one that sounds better. Anyone else experience this?

8. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Most CD burners do a little unwanted eq'ing when making a copy.

Some folks find that the CD-R sounds "better" to them then their source, but listen carefully; basically, it's adding 1/2db at 10,000 cycles to everything. Not better, just crisper.

HiFi Guy 008 likes this.
  9. Dob

Dob New Member

Steve,

"crisper" - yeah, if I had to describe it, that word is pretty close!

How audible is 1/2 db? Do you need "golden ears"? I thought that 1 db was supposedly the threshold of human hearing - or does that just refer to overall volume differences (which one is louder)?

How would a burner add this 1/2 db boost? If this is some sort of data corruption? If so, how can it work in such a specific way? It would be much appreciated if any explanations were phrased in "layman's" terms.

10. Steve Hoffman

Dob,

You must have golden ears, Pal, 'cause you can hear it.

Actually, 1/2 db is real easy to hear, especially at the treble range. So, now you know that you can hear just 1/2 db, imagine what the Rhino 4 db treble boost does to stuff. OUCH!

To answer your question, every darn CD-R I've ever heard seems to add a little "something" up there. Why? Dunno. But they do. They shouldn't, but they do...

YouKnowEyeKnow likes this.
  11. Dob

Dob New Member

Is it possible that this 10k boost is added upon PLAYBACK, in the analog realm?

The reason I ask is that such an alteration to the data stream seems impossible. Perhaps this is an incorrect analogy, but I think of the data stream (zeroes and ones) on a cd as being similar to the data stream (letters and spaces) in a book. If the data stream of a book is corrupted, we would expect to find typos, misspellings and such, not actual word/sentence substitution - especially not in a way that would read as proper english.

Perhaps the D/A converters in a CD player are reading the CD-R data in a different manner than a regular CD, and making a less accurate conversion, which results in the 10k boost.

12. Steve Hoffman

Sounds possible.

I would be interested in hearing what others think.

Can you start a new thread?

13. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Computer burners?

If I rip audio from one CD, then burn that to a CD-R, then rip that audio, the audio from the original CD will EXACTLY match that of the CD-R.

Nothing is being changed...

14. krabapple

krabapple New Member

News to me. If it's a 1/2 db boost, it should definitely show up in measurements of the original vs. copy. Has it?

And if so, which burners were in use? I want to make sure to avoid them.

15. Steve Hoffman

Never mind, Krabapple, my ears must be lying to me.

16. feinstein

feinstein Member

I have the Simply Vinyl, the pre-MCA Decca (make sure when you look for a Decca that it does not have the "MCA" logo on it -- in addition to the Decca logo), and a mid-1970's vintage "Track Records" import from Great Britain.

Frankly, the "Track Records" import comes in first place by a wide margin in terms of soundspace and the presence of actual high-frequencies. If you can find one, get the "Track Records" pressing, even a late one.

Second place is the Simply Vinyl. It's very smooth and liquid sounding. I believe though that it's mastered from the digital master tape that produced the first single CD version of "Tommy" in the early 1990's. For some reason, the vinyl is less abrasive than the CD. The packaging sucks though since they didn't bother to reproduce the libretto or the tri-gatefold sleeve of the original Track or Decca.

Last place goes to my U.S. Decca. This is simply due to the horrid vinyl that it was pressed on. It lacks any semblence of high-frequency.

17. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Hmm, my copy sounds quite nice, and my buddy Rich swears by those Decca originals... To quote him:

18. Steve Hoffman

"Decca originals"

is way to vague a term to use. Some sides (one and three, I think) were recut over 16 times in 5 years, never from the same tape twice. When the company moved from NYC to LA, a lot of parts were recut, for the worse.

So, there are some good sounding ones, and some bad sounding ones out there...

19. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

I have the US DECCA Tommy original set...nothing special.

I'm going to quote my self again....

And I will add....better than any LP version I've heard.

BC

20. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

After seeing Steve's Post I should modify to "My DECCA copy is nothing special"
    BC

21. feinstein

feinstein Member

Lukpac commented about his Decca pressing:

Hmm, my copy sounds quite nice, and my buddy Rich swears by those Decca originals... To quote him:

I reply:

I noticed that your buddy Rich's comment shows that he never sampled a U.K. "Track" original or Simply Vinyl. My comment on the mediocre quality of my Decca pressing was based on my comparison to my "Track" mid-70's pressing and the Simply Vinyl pressing, so maybe our "comparative listening" tests are skewed.

22. vex

vex New Member

I'd sure like to get my hands on a clean U.K. Track original and give it a spin. I don't doubt that it would beat out the U.S. Decca original!

23. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Actually, according to Rich, Track = Polydor - they are the same, and when he says "Polydor original" he actually means "Track original".

24. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

I don't mean to beat a horse to death...(please forgive me If I keep repeating my self), but in order to save two more similar threads I will say that the same goes for "Live at Leeds" and "Who's Next".

Tommy, Live at Leeds, and Who's Next original UK Track LPs are superior in sound to any LPs (US DECCAs) or CDs I've heard.

IMHO feinstein got it right.

BC

25. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Have you heard Steve's CD of Who's Next?

Keep in mind Who's Next was mastered in the US...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.