The Best WHO's "Tommy" CD?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Michael, May 19, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JPartyka

JPartyka I Got a Home on High

As far as Tommy goes, I only own an early US Decca LP which is not bad, impressively crisp and clear. A friend of mine played me his UK Track original, though, and it was awesome. The best version I've ever heard.

He also played me his UK Track Who's Next, and it sounded dull, dull, dull. No high end info. We suspected he might just have a duff copy ... But in any case I have yet to hear a version that trumps Steve's CD.

2. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

Sure Luke,

I've been a Hoffmanite since 1985... when I bought the "Made in Japan by JVC for MCA" version. I loved it. I remember at the time a review that called this CD "the best reason to own a CD player".
    When the first gold DCCs came in the early 90s I wrote Steve suggesting he do a gold of Who's Next. He responded with a very nice note... which I still have.

THEN...like a fool, I read in ICE that the MCA expanded versions were going to be definitive, and I sold my Hoffman MCA for $4.50 BEFORE the 1996 remasters even came out.

Needless to say...I haven't done this since.

Thanks to you...I got the Canadian...which of course is still the best on CD. Like you... I've also been looking to replace my lost real 1985 Hoffman CD.

As far as "Who's Next"... my UK Track is only slightly better than my DECCA.

My Live at Leeds and Tommy UK Track are miles ahead better than my DECCAs.

By the way....last week I got the new UK "My Generation" on LP (from Red Trumpet)... it has extra tracks...Is this the same version that is going to be out on CD?

BC

3. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Sounds like you don't have a good Decca copy, as they do exist...

I believe that My Generation LP is a bootleg. The new release will be in stereo.

4. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

I totally agree with the first part.

I remember buying my Who's Next DECCA in the early summer of 1972...almost a whole year after it came out. So...I may not have the best pressing or maybe it is too worn out (although there is no surface noise or scratches). The UK Track... I inherited from a UK person that probably did not play it very much (I know he bought it in 1971). Again... the differences are not as big as with the other two (Live and Tommy).

BC

5. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

Very thin pressing, lots of pops, clicks etc., and slighly faded cover.
    ITS A BOOT!!!

Most of it is MONO...some of the extra tracks are stereo.

Thanks Luke.
    BC

6. Joe Koz

Joe Koz Prodigal Bone Brotherâ„¢ In Memoriam

Originally Posted By Luke
    I agree withe your friend Rich. I was able to get a original Decca. I'm more than happy. It sounds "open & airy", bass is "tight", and Moon's
    cymbals are not as harsh as other copy's I've heard.

Joe

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.