The Best Youtube Channels

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by jbmcb, Nov 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Some of our very own forum members post stuff on YouTube.

Jimmy B. likes this.
  2. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

ok that made me sad

3. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

Emergency Awesome - for sci-fi, Comic-book, fantasy coverage of movies and television. This guy covers the bases, and knows his stuff.

The Pedal Show - 2 British guitar geeks explore the world of effects pedals, amps, guitars and so much more!

The Serial Squadron - restorer of vintage serials. Nobody does it better, or cares as much about chapterplays, cliffhangers, and the lore behind their making.

4. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Andrew Huang - Canadian musical mastermind who can make delicious jams out of absolutely anything!

Binging with Babish - self-taught home chef Andrew Rea makes recipes from TV and movies; also has a Basics with Babish series discussing simple recipes for common pantry items. Start with Babish's take on the Krabby Patty from Spongebob; the added bonus is that once the ludicrous media version has been unleashed, many times Rea will put his own spin on a more practical version of the dish.

bill wurtz - solo music artist creating songs, bits and videos with a super-pleasing sound; best known for his 9-minute history of japan lesson, complete with catchy jingles. Great songs include the earworm "La de da de da de da de day oh" - this song goes places!

Davie504 - incredible bassist from Italy blasting through memes, theme songs, and covers with the power of four strings...or more...or less...

Frog Leap Studios - do you like heavy metal covers of decidedly non-metal songs, often resulting in something absolutely ludicrous? Yeah, obviously.

Kristine Summer - young classic rock fan does reviews and vlogs about her music taste, particularly her love for some Liverpool band nobody's ever heard of, among others

Mary Spender - actually describes herself very well: "Singer, songwriter and guitarist based in the UK. " Covers, originals and general guitar nerdery. Last but not least, she happens to be an attractive, funny and endearing young lady well on her way to big things.

mattiboo - Talented guitarist and Beatles fan who breaks down the six-string stylings of our beloved Fab Four. Even tackles A Day In The Life without breaking a sweat.

Movieclips Trailers - just what it sounds like. get your movie trailers here. warning: will make sitting through 20 minutes of them in the theater rather redundant :D

Ninja Sex Party - NSFW, obviously. LA-based comedy band starring a lady lovin' fella ("who's tall, his name is Dan, and he's Jewish") and a real absolutely not-just-a-guy-in-a-balaclava ninja named Brian who make rockin' jams about naughty business and everything in between.

TWRP (Tupperware Remix Party) - NSP recently teamed with these Canadian synthfunk sensations for some jammin' covers of 70's and 80's classics, as well as a number of tight and funky masterpieces of their own making.

Peter Hollens - phenomenal singer creating acapella masterpieces spanning multiple genres and featuring a range of special guests

Rob Scallon - Chicago-based guitar wizard who loves banjos, beards, and b-shovels. He likes shovels.

samuraiguitarist - lots of Canada on this list. And guitar. Lots of guitar.

Sarah Longfield - Oh yeah. She can shred. Great songwriter too. Impeccable tone.

Smooth McGroove - Acapella video game covers. 'Nuff said.

Ten Second Songs - Have you ever wanted to hear the same song in 20 different genres? Of course you have.

WABCRADIO77 - defunct channel now but the archive is delightful. 45s and LPs including original mono mixes and vintage radio airchecks

...just to name a few. :D

5. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

Nah, it was going to the crusher anyway, see the rotted out floors? (Just like mine!) But they shred lots of other great stuff on that channel, too. I like when they shredded the office shredder.

6. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

7. the pope ondine

I know....but I just love those bugs :love:

8. Propinquity

Propinquity Forum Resident

9. the pope ondine

10. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

Metallica and Van Halen Channels:righton:

11. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

Not really a show but I enjoy watching these guys review rock tracks that they have never heard before:

Lost In Vegas

And I was able to go back and watch most of James at 16 which I had not seen since i was a kid.

anti PC., jbmcb, vconsumer and 3 others like this.
  12. OneChance

OneChance Forum Resident

Two channels I've been watching a lot of lately:

PictureFit - Health and fitness info provided in a simple, illustrated manner.
    Kurzgesagt - Making science look beautiful.

13. MusicMatt

MusicMatt Quality over Quantity

If you’re an Adam the Woo fan, you’ll probably recognize my avatar.

jbmcb likes this.
  14. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

BrightSunFilms: Vids about abandoned malls and theme park rides, cancelled projects, exploring abandoned locations.

Philip DeFranco: Fun (usually) take on the news. Very good at weighing all sides of stories.

Shane Dawson: I feel weird saying this, but his content has changed so much recently and it's actually really great. Fun "haunted" videos, some inspirational series (reconnecting with his father; spending a day with a blind Youtuber and letting her drive a car, wearing blind goggles for a bit to see how various ailments affect people's vision and lives). He still has a particular brand of humor, but I think there's stuff for people of all types to like.

15. kanakaris

kanakaris Forum Resident

Just watched the Steve Earle episode , amazing and thanks for this.

darryl hollingsworth likes this.
  16. Damien DiAngelo

Damien DiAngelo Forum Resident

A few of my more recent favorites:
    Objectivity. Nerding out over things in museums.
    Today I Found Out. Kind of what it sounds like. Its a short daily show that teaches you something new every day. Usually a short story about a historical event, but not always of course.
    Regular Car Reviews. If you are looking for horsepower numbers, or track stats, these are not the car reviews you are looking for. Heck, if you're serious about buying a car, these are not the car reviews you are looking for. Sure, he gives his honest opinions on the cars, but he is funny, and pretty deep sometimes too. You'll get some history behind the cars too.
    He's not always reviewing cars you may be looking to go buy though.

17. yamfox

yamfox Forum Resident

Technology Connections - Does polished, in-depth videos about various aspects of technology, including such things as explaining how exactly how analog TV works, a whole series on Laserdisc and why it wasn’t more successful, the Playstation 1’s flawed copy protection and so on.

Nostalgia Nerd - Charming Brit who covers computers and games up to about 1995 or so. The jewel of his channel are “The ___ Story” computer documentaries, which cover the history and technical details of classic computer models in insane detail and can be over an hour long.

Oddity Archive - Coloradan with a half-obscured face who’s created his own little public access-esque world around obscurities from the past. His show is framed as proper numbered episodes, with subject matter ranging from the history of early TV to how to bake reel-to-reel tapes to having a laugh at bad Pickwick rip-off LPs and LaserKaraoke discs.

Lindsay Ellis - Film graduate who does great video essays on various facets of the medium. Her latest three-parter on the Hobbit movies is extremely interesting and impressive in scope.

Folding Ideas - Lately similar to Lindsay Ellis’ format (they’re friends), just with more focus on his monologue rather than film clips. Really great deconstructions that explain why exactly recent terrible movies were so bad.

Daniel Ibbertson/Slopes Game Room - Brit who covers the history of classic video game series, as well as shorter videos on fun facts and a recurring show called KickScammers about failed Kickstarters or ones that didn’t fulfill their promises.

Ashens - Reviews “tat” (crappy items) and expired food on his famed brown sofa while making hillarious wisecracks. My YouTube comfort food for over 10 years running.

Midnight’s Edge - Covers news in regards to superhero and sci-fi franchises. Good for staying up to date with the newest scoops, if you care about that sort of thing.

ToddInTheShadows - Reviews new pop songs and does interesting retrospective videos on one-hit wonders. Funny and likable and has a charmingly low-tech production value.

RedLetterMedia - Known for their “Plinkett reviews” of the Star Wars prequels, some cynical drunks out of Wisconsin who nonetheless are frequently hilarious and on-point with their movie discussions. Your enjoyment of their content very much hinges on getting to know their personalities and connecting with their very specific, raunchy tone, but among a certain audience they are considered some of the best content makers on the internet. Definitely check out a “Wheel of the Worst” video to see how funny they are when forced to watch torturously bad content.

Steve Carras likes this.
  18. Brendan K

Brendan K Forum Resident

theneedledrop (Anthony Fantano) is great for new album reviews. He also reviews classic albums, does vinyl hauls and discusses music-related topics on his second channel, Fantano.

Frank and Channel 33 RPM are a great vinyl channel as well.

LilacTeardrop likes this.
  19. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  20. bherbert

bherbert Forum Resident

My current favourite is the Mark Wiens channel. He travels around the world reviewing food.

21. Rick Bartlett

For you tinklers in guitars and amplifiers, check out:
    The Guitologist
    D-Lab
    12Volt Vids and
    Uncle Doug.....

You'll thank me later.

22. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

Great thread idea. I mostly look at individual music video clips, political, or sex-related matters, but sometimes I notice that the same person may be behind a number of videos of good quality and interest. Some of the videos someone has produced for the music piece slay me, real Labours of love.

Case in Point : You Tube Value Added Posts - Brenda Lee

I wouldn't subscribe (Youtube's "You like this so maybe you'll like this list" can be annoying enough) but I may check some of the channel references other posters have made above.

23. vconsumer

vconsumer Unapologetically 70s

Already mentioned just one page back.

24. Rick Bartlett

Ahhh :doh:
    That's what tiredness will do. To make it worse, it was me that posted it.
    :hide:

25. Rick Bartlett

some interesting 45's here:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.