The Bevis Frond

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gramps, May 22, 2022.

1. Gramps

Gramps Forum Resident Thread Starter

I don't know if there has been a post about these guys, but I think The Bevis Frond is one the greatest bands in the last 30+ years. Nick Saloman has to be the one of the best relatively unknown guitar players/songwriters of his generation.

Last edited: May 22, 2022
  2. jonnyhambone

jonnyhambone Forum Resident

Agreed, do you have a favorite? I think one problem/great asset of his is that his albums are so sprawling and overwrought that it’s a hard slog sometimes, even with all the great moments and as a big fan.
    My favorite overall is usually New River Head, their classic I’d presume. Great mix of the perfect, if nasally, pop nuggets and the stretched out psych jams. North Circular is another that has some real gems on it. Great band!

3. Gramps

You sound like a friend of mine, who has a connection with Blue Cheer with me. If it's you, that's fun. If not, that's ok. My favourite album is Valedictory Songs.

Billchi_11 likes this.
  4. dharma bum

dharma bum Forum Resident

I don't know much about them at all...I've only heard We're Your Friends, Man and it was one of my two favorite albums of 2018.

5. barryalan

barryalan Cat in Space

Nick Saloman's group. He's pretty cool. Really good guitar heavy psych, fits the label "acid rock" perfectly. I had their first three albums on vinyl, on Reckless Records: Miasma, Inner Light, and Triptych. I'd recommend them all. "Eyes in the Back of My Head" was like an anthem of theirs. I'm afraid I lost track of them in the 90s, for awhile I wasn't interested in following rock music at all. Black Sun Ensemble was another group on the same label at the same time pursuing similar territory.

[​IMG]

6. Gramps

Yeah, they are still happening. Bevis Frond are just going on tour in Great Britten in the next few weeks. Nick's starting his own record company called 'Blue Matter' which will be releasing the highly anticipated 'Gadsby & Skol' material on a remastered vinyl lp, amongst others.

7. numer9

numer9 Beatles Apologist

Bought New River Head when it came out...good stuff

BPMC likes this.
  8. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

Gramps and linklinc1 like this.
  9. JoeDea

JoeDea Forum Resident

I think they are pretty good but I xtrugg!e with full albums. I have heard lots of individual tracks I really enjoy though.

zongo and dlemaudit like this.
  10. Spinone

Spinone Forum Resident

I've only got a couple of albums, Any Gas Faster and New River Head. I enjoy them both, but I don't play them regularly.

11. Deja Doh

Deja Doh QUARANTINED

He'd Be A Diamond.

zongo, hoggydoggy, Marty T and 2 others like this.
  12. dlemaudit

dlemaudit Forum Resident

amazing pop song , covered by Teenage Fan Club

Marty T likes this.
  13. Deja Doh

Deja Doh QUARANTINED

I also like What Did For The Dinosaurs.

zongo likes this.
  14. manicpopthrill

manicpopthrill Forum Resident

Is North Circular considered one of their best? Good enough for an entry point?

15. Jeepster39

Jeepster39 Forum Resident

Nick's been incredibly prolific and consistent for years now. One of Britain's best songwriters. Hard to pick a favorite album, but I'd also suggest Valedictory Songs and White Numbers.

Gramps likes this.

16. Yes, it is solid, mature, a refinement over the more wild wooly idiosyncratic earlier Woronzow/REckless era albums.

manicpopthrill likes this.
  17. Jeepster39

Jeepster39 Forum Resident

It's a great one, but also a triple album with stuff like the 12+ minute endurance test The Pips. But you'll uncover some pop gems on it for sure. New River Head might be the best starting point.

jonnyhambone and manicpopthrill like this.
  18. manicpopthrill

Got a copy of North Circular on the way for a few bucks.

I sampled New River Head and wasn't crazy about the skronky freakout of "White Sun." But then I liked the next tune, "Drowned." I imagine that sort of contrast in sounds happens more frequently on the earlier albums?

zongo likes this.

19. Yes, he does longer Hendrixian shronk fests and pastoral/poppy British psych homages. The Hendrixian blowouts are what made his name.

Bevis Frond: Solar Marmalade

20. manicpopthrill

Probably best I work my way forward from North Circular, rather than backwards.

zphage likes this.
  21. seg763

seg763 Senior Member

22. schizzzo

schizzzo Forum Resident

Thanks for the hint. Ordered!

23. Aura

Aura Forum Resident

Subbing to this thread. Please tell me I'm not the only longtime fan with all the Woronzow releases on vinyl and also four different pressings of Miasma on vinyl. :)

schizzzo and zphage like this.
  24. Aura

Aura Forum Resident

Also, reading comments upthread... I love the full albums and each is a well worn glove at this point. Admittedly, "The Pips" is probably the only song I'm ever apt to skip, but not always.

It does take immersion and repeated listens to really appreciate the eclecticism and depth of each title. I will grant that that's harder these days in the age of Twit(ter) bit sized chunks plus the speed and attention span of social media. Putting on a 2xLP or 3xLP of The Bevis Frond is meant to be a journey and a travelogue. Afterwards, you will feel as if you left and have been somewhere.