The big disappointment: announced but never released

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by no time, Sep 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

2. Reed Black

Reed Black Forum Resident

Frank Zappa - Hot Rats Project/Object release.
    August 2019 will be the 50th anniversary of Hot Rats, so maybe we'll see it released then. Fingers crossed.

3. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

Some years ago when Iconoclassic re-released The Tubes' Capitol albums there was talk of them also releasing the previously unreleased A&M Suffer for Sound album. They ended up putting out half of it as bonus tracks but I'd love the full album put out as well.

izgoblin likes this.
  4. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

You wonder why they canceled it when Ric looked so excited about it.

5. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

You must have known that nothing would be better than the 12 free CD box set with a bonus 8 track.

6. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

I'm bummed that the AF SACD of "The Dude" never materialized
    and that the Mofi (I think) SACD release of "Ricky Lee Jones" self titled album never materialized either.

Boden9 and art like this.
  7. IconoclassicRecs

IconoclassicRecs Senior Member

The only talk of this being put out happened internally between Iconoclassic and the Tubes. It was decided mutually that the entire project should not come out and then we let the band pick which songs they wanted added as bonus tracks on Remote Control.

izgoblin likes this.
  8. edenofflowers

Thanks for the info. It's a shame we didn't get the whole album but I was surprised that the tracks - which I assume A&M still legally own(?) - that we did get were available at all. Was it just not financially viable to release the whole album? I'm a Tubes nut so although I appreciated what we did get it was a shame we didn't get the whole thing. Cheers for what we did get though. I think I heard the whole thing was happening via in interview with one of the band members at the time.

9. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

Back in the 90s, one of the record chain stores had a kind of kiosk where you could look up a song and what album it was on, who it was by, etc. They had a listing for something like a 22 track CD of the Allman Joys. A couple of those came out on Skydog, but the rest...like you said, never saw the light of day.

belardd and PhantomStranger like this.
  10. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

I remember hearing about this one too. I think Nash even stated it was in process in several interviews.

Looks that this is another one that won't happen unless hell freezes over.

11. Graham 12" Remix

Graham 12" Remix Graham Sylvian, Graham Gedge or Graham from Felt

Three Ryan Adams records will not now be released this year.

I have no idea how to think about this one, other than being sad about the whole thing.

NunoBento likes this.
  12. arriano

arriano The California Kid

13. IconoclassicRecs

IconoclassicRecs Senior Member

If I recall the events correctly when we went back to the repertoire I don't think that either the band or the label felt all of the material was that strong and could justify a standalone release. I do recall Fee being interviewed a few times surrounding the release so he may have mentioned a possible release of all or some of the tracks around the time that Remote Control was being worked on. Fee/The band picked the bonus tracks and the label was in full agreement with their choices at the time.

At the end of the process I still feel that it was one of the label's best releases and it was a great honor to work so closely with the original band for the project. Prairie provide us with extra artwork and Michael Cotten worked with our art director to make this a special re-issue and Fee Waybill spearheaded the whole project. Then Vic and I went into the studio and were able to find a great tape, which was the cherry on the top of the sundae!

14. edenofflowers

Thanks for you and the team's work, it was much enjoyed, and thanks for the extra info here. :righton:

15. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

jimmy page.

16. Terry

Terry Senior Member

Tons of DVD-A

17. PsychGuy

PsychGuy Forum Resident

Spirit's "Clear" on SACD. Dunno if "12 Dreams" was announced.

wayneklein likes this.
  18. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Another bloody Yank down under...

Mine would have to be the time Buffett said something about having discovered some never-issued recordings from his Barnaby years (1970-71). Although his two Barnaby albums sound nothing like what he became (he'd never even been to Key West at the time, and they sound more along the lines of John Prine and Steve Goodman, with whom he was friends), I love them both and would love to hear more from that era. I seem to recall he even had a title - Buried Treasure - planned. But nothing seems to have come of it since then.

19. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Second volume of PF Sloan's 1960s demos on Varese Sarabande if the first volume sold. It didn't and he passed away.

craig4755 and melstapler like this.
  20. Hey Vinyl Man

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaand, having written that, I got curious to see if there were any updates, and googled it to discover Volume 1 has in fact been released! Heaven only knows how that escaped my attention when I was actively looking for it all this time, but...

21. jbmcb

jbmcb Forum Resident

This one is a bit obscure, but Variance by Jega:

He's an electronic music guy from England, who released two phenomenal albums in the late 90's, Spectrum and Geometry. In the early 2000s he was set to release Variance, but a demo copy leaked onto the internet and was everywhere within weeks. He ended up scrapping that project and re-recording two discs of new material and releasing *that* as Variance, but it took another five years.

The worst part is, though you can still find the demo floating around the internet, it was never finished. Some of the tracks were clearly works in progress, and he said he's never going to bother polishing them up. That, and the tracks are *really good*

22. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

The Elton John 5.1 SACD's that are done and not released just ticks me off. How do you guarantee that zero money is made from a 5.1 project? By not releasing it. To me that is absolute just bat s**t crazy.

NunoBento likes this.
  23. jbmcb

jbmcb Forum Resident

Are those the tracks that comprise Before The Beach? My wife's a big fan of Jimmy Buffet and, while he's not my cup of tea, I like that album. In fact I need to head over to the songs that you were surprised to hear in a store thread...

24. TimeWarper

TimeWarper A Well Respected Man

The Vanda and Young Story Vol 2 / The Shame Just Drained 2?
    What is it with people naming albums volume 1 only to have no other volumes?

Mylene likes this.
  25. Hey Vinyl Man

From the same era, but mostly previously unreleased. As noted above, it turns out the album has in fact been released. It has one song that was on Before the Beach (maybe a different recording, I'm not sure) plus both sides of his very first single, which came out a year or so before his first album. The rest is never-released.

jbmcb likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.