The Big Moving Coil Cartridge Poll - $1000 to $1300

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Davey, Jan 10, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

very similar to what I heard between the original ART9 and the Cadenza Blue. The Blue won out but it was not a slam dunk. The ART9 was slightly cleaner, more colorful and fun. The Blue in my system had a bigger sound stage to the already huge ART9 sound, and slightly better dynamics. No bad considering the Cadenza was twice the price of the original ART9.

5-String likes this.
  2. doctor fuse

doctor fuse Forum Resident

I only have the Benz Wood SL, so following this thread to see how the competition compares in all of your expert opinions.

3. labreahouse

labreahouse Forum Resident

I bought a Hana ML this summer and have been totally impressed by its performance, absolutely love it. Since I haven't heard any others on the list, I can only assert the Hana ML is the best here.

culabula and chipcalzada like this.
  4. okc_craft

okc_craft It All Matters

I’ve heard the Art9xa, art9xi, and the Hana ML. I voted for the Art9xa, in my system it had the most finesse and it gave the largest soundstage in my room.

5. chipcalzada

chipcalzada Forum Resident

Hana ML, it does all the audiophile superlatives and most important of all gets me lost in the music.

culabula and IainS like this.
  6. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

Always surprising to me that Dynavector and Sumiko get little mention on this board.

searing75 likes this.
  7. dial

dial Well-Known Member

I don't spend so much for just a cartridge.

8. Djohm

Djohm Forum Resident

Maybe most owners like me, since I mounted the XX2 MKii almost 2 years ago - no issues, no drama. Routine stylus cleaning with Blu Tack with every record and still sounding good. That said, I am very interested in pairing the Hana ML with my Rega table.

9. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Forum Resident

Well, for me it's Sumiko Blackbird, although I used the high output and not the low. I haven't seen a list price on them of $1000 in over ten years, they have been $1100-$1300 in that time. I'm kind of heart broken that they have discontinued them. However I have 4 of them, three in my main system, and one has a channel that went out for some reason. I'v also turned into a Sumiko fan boy and like all the cartridges from them that I'v tried.

4 Sumiko Blackbirds
    1 Sumiko Blue Point EVO III
    2 Sumiko Talisman Virtuoso DTi
    1 Sumiko Talisman Virtuoso Boron

Some of the Sumiko cartridges where designed, incidentally, by David Fletcher, the engineer responsible for SOTA turntables. This is how I got started with the Sumiko line of cartridges and having SOTA Star Sapphires, NOVA and now a Cosmos. I also use SOTA Phono Head Amps, designed for them by John Curl. I guess I'm all in the family, and it's a great family to be apart of.

SOTA back in the day sold Sumiko arms and cartridges as well as SME arms. The top offerings would be a Star Sapphire, SME Series V arm with a Sumiko Talisman Virtuoso DTi or Boron.

I use the Blackbirds exclusively on my tables today, SOTA Star Sapphire, Nova and a Comet at the moment, one with a SME Series IV iv arm the others with SME Series V arms. I find this cartridge very neutral, pulling all the detail out of the record but not elevating surface noise giving a very open soundstage. The way I have staged them actually makes my room sound bigger, pushing the walls and celling out. This is in part the use of the SOTA Phono Head Amps with the Sumiko Blackbirds, it takes up the sound stage and space a bit further than the cartridge alone.

The EVO III is a great budget cartridge, close to the Blackbird that you might not be able to tell witch is witch depending on your system. The EVO was around before the BB, and was hot rodded to come up with the Blackbird.

LANK likes this.
  10. Classic Car Guy

Classic Car Guy - Touch The Face Of God -

Just curious where is your 10-20 or location?

11. chipcalzada

Hello @Classic Car Guy, situated in S.E. Asia, Manila, Philippines to be exact.

12. PopularChuck

PopularChuck Senior Member

I had and loved a Dynavector 20x2H high output. Absolutely wonderful sound.

I recently upgraded to a Hana Umami Red after upgrading my turntable.

13. Classic Car Guy

Right on... Is it lock down?
    Was wondering about the travelling pace to Manila at this time of the year..

14. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

How do you all hear so many different carts to be able to make a judgment? I guess I’m not very adventurous, I find something I like and just stick to it. I’ve used nothing but Dynavector for the past 15-20 years. Right now I’m using the high output version of the 20X2 and I love it.

15. chipcalzada

Sadly we're on lockdown currently. It was getting better prior to the Omicron surge, restaurants and malls were full, life seemed to be getting back to normal but unfortunately, the virus never seems to know when to quit. On the flip side, the work from home setup has its perks (more time for audio).

16. Classic Car Guy

Be safe.... I miss Tropical Hut Hamburger.
    Can you get new vinyls in the Philippines ?

17. chipcalzada

Thanks! Likewise! Tropical Hut is an institution, I take it you've been visiting the Phils for quite some time? There are loads of records stores (new and used) now however most people have been buying online due to Covid.

Classic Car Guy likes this.
  18. dial

dial Well-Known Member

Ah the famous disease.

19. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani/Dobrawa Czocher ~ Inner Symphonies Thread Starter

Picking a favorite cartridge from a poll doesn't have to be a considered judgement based on multiple cartridge comparisons, it can be just as simple as picking your favorite cartridge. It's really just a popularity poll, could've (or maybe should've) worded the questions as, Which MC cartridge do you use in the $1000 to $1300 price range?, but I thought the favorite angle would add some extra context :)

Anyway, interesting results so far, I didn't realize the Hana ML was so popular here, but guess it's to be expected since the Hana SL ran away with the lower cost poll too.

Synthfreek likes this.
  20. avanti1960

all you have to do is shear a cantilever, then you have opportunity to try something else ( like i did, twice!)
    The DVs are a solid choice but when i was looking for someting else this forum suggested the Audio Technica and to review two huge threads about them on the Audiogon.
    I tried it I liked it.

Synthfreek likes this.
  21. LakeMountain

LakeMountain Vinyl surfer

The Hana series has managed to make a deep cut, but here in Europe there is a new kid on the blocks. SkyAnalog.
    The SkyAnalog G-1 falls in your given range (1k€), but the new P1 and P2 ( 500€ and 780€) all also get raving reviews. Both P1 and P2 have a boron cantilevers and fine line stylus cuts.
    SkyAnalog is a Chinese company:eek:.

Davey likes this.
  22. Davey

Yea, I saw that review in Stereo Magazine last year, not sure I'm quite ready to buy a Chinese cartridge, still many good choices from countries I would prefer to support, but they do look nice ...

[​IMG]

Skyanalog G-1 Review

Lowbeats also tested the three of them and compared ... 3er-Test MC Tonabnehmer Skyanalog G-1, G-2 & G-3: The sky is the limit - LowBeats

Last edited: Jan 18, 2022
  23. avanti1960

Davey likes this.
  24. LakeMountain

LakeMountain Vinyl surfer

It does not fall in this thread, but the P1 seems to be amazing within its price range.
    Skyanalog P-1 Review

25. Davey

Yea, I agree, that one seems more poised for competition with the likes of the similarly priced and featured AT-OC9XML. The whole line seems to have a similar frequency response, with a significant dip in the 5k region, and then rise back up to a little below the lower level, probably gives it a nice mellow sound, most LOMC carts are pretty flat to around 10k and then have a quick 2-3dB rise at around 15k. Guess it has to do with mass and damping of the cantilever... I don't know what frequency they are measuring the compliance, though I guess it is kind of low.

[​IMG]

The Hana Unami is one that clearly shows the more normal LOMC response, though it has a bigger peak than most ...

[​IMG]

Below is a more normal LOMC response, this top trace the Thorens repackaged AT-OC9XSL (I think, the response is about the same as I measure on my AT-OC9XML) ...

[​IMG]

But I guess the Skyanalog cartridge frequency response isn't much different from the Ortofon Quintet Black S below ...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 18, 2022
    LakeMountain likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.