The Big Moving Coil Cartridge Poll - Under $1000

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Davey, Jan 11, 2022.

1. Davey

Davey NP: Bianca Scout ~ Pattern Damage (2024) Thread Starter

This is a companion poll to The Big Moving Coil Cartridge Poll - $1000 to $1300

Only stipulations are that cartridge is moving coil and new, currently in production, and available to purchase in the US for under $1000. There are a couple cartridges I put on the poll that may be in the discontinuation process, but still widely available. And there are a couple overlaps from the other poll right at the $1000 price point, so I went ahead and added them so this poll can stand on its own ...

Cyclone Ranger and punkmusick like this.
  2. Over the years I only owned one $1000.00 cartridge and that was a Shelter 501MKII and sold it within two months. I didn't venture into the above $500.00 MC cartridge range for a while. I've been using the AT-33PTGII for a few years. I rotate cartridges based on mode but after a while the 33 always returns.

Triffid, nutsfortubes and Davey like this.
  3. mkane

mkane Strictly Analog

I have a shelter that out right now but we do have Denon 301mkII we use quite often. The 103's (R's, M, D )are also good.

Hendertuckie, MCM_Fan and Davey like this.
  4. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

I voted Audio-Technica AT-OC9XSL because that's all I got.
    I do thoroughly enjoy it, but seeing that the Ortofon Quintet Black S is 999$ I can't help but wonder how that sounds...

Icethorn, HiFi Guy and Davey like this.
  5. Davey

Yea, the Shelter 501 is pretty popular in the other poll, the current MkIII version is $1300 now, so unfortunately priced out of this poll.

6. BillWojo

BillWojo Forum Resident

Denon DL-103 and when you wear it out, have it retipped with a nicer stylus. Even if you get a boron cantilever with a microline stylus, added it to the cost of the cartridge when new it's still under the $1000.00
    At that point it can play in the 1000 to 2000 poll and beat most of them in sonics. Amazing deal.

BillWojo

7. plastico

plastico Forum Resident

I had a Dyna10 x5 mk1 and still have a Denon DL -301 mkII. That 301 did a lot of things right! Got rid of the Dynavector, kept the Denon then got the AT ART 9. Now the Denon is collecting dust in a drawer!
    Cheers, Doug

Davey likes this.
  8. Davey

I know a lot of you feel this way, but do you have any theory as to why the 103 with boron and MicroRidge would be better than those cartridges in the other poll, most with similar (or even the same) cantilever and stylus? Which ones have you heard? Or even why it would be better than the $500 AT-OC9XML in this poll that comes from factory with boron cantilever and MicroLine stylus (boron cantilever and MicroRidge stylus is only about $100 from Namiki in quantities of 100)? Is it related to the very low compliance of the 103 and the usual installation on a heavier tonearm (I do think most cartridges sound better on higher mass arms, if tonearm dynamics can be controlled well)? Or the suspension? Or the plastic body?

Last edited: Jan 11, 2022
  9. Davey

Yea, just over a year ago, the ART9 could be purchased direct from AT here in the US with 15% discount code for $841, probably would've been the top dog in this poll. Still a pretty popular option in its new form even with the 50% effective price increase :)

BTW, previous thread with a lot of good discussion around some of the listed options ... Sub $1K MC Cartridges: Three Winners

Last edited: Jan 11, 2022
    HiFi Guy likes this.
  10. elvisizer

elvisizer Forum Resident

i've had 3 of the carts on this survey (denon dl-110, Audio-Technica AT33PTG/II, and the Hana SL) and my pick is the SL.

11. Davey

Yea, I thought the Hana SL would probably be the big favorite in this poll based on all the attention it has gotten over the last few years, seems to be the favorite recommendation of many.

12. Mad shadows

Mad shadows Forum Resident

I would like to add Ortofon SPU#E to the list. On a suitable heavy arm its hard to beat.

googlymoogly, BillWojo and Davey like this.
  13. dconsmack

dconsmack Senior Member

AT33PTG/2. It’s one of the best cartridges ever. Most carts I’ve owned have been around $2k (and up to $8k) The AT is the one I currently use and the only one I’ve ever bought two of. It’s got everything… impeccable build quality, tapered boron cantilever, MicroLine stylus, wide stereo separation, relatively flat frequency response, full and smooth sound, and best-of-the-best tracking performance. I’m finally content.

14. MCM_Fan

MCM_Fan Senior Member

I voted for the Denon DL-301 MkII because the table I run it on has a low mass tonearm (8g effective mass) that works best with a high compliance cartridge. There aren't many high compliance options in LOMC cartridges. I like the Denon, quiet in the groove, pleasant sounding, etc., but with a heavier tonearm, my answer might be different.

Hendertuckie and Davey like this.
  15. BillWojo

BillWojo Forum Resident

Davey, I can't make a direct comparison to those other cartridges but I have read numerous times that a well modded DL-103 will compete with or beat a lot of $2000 cartridges. I think the reason is that the generator was very well designed from day one, back in the 60's. My guess is that Denon just got it right. Somehow they made that cartridge make music sound natural, not sterile or analytical. When modified you don't loose the musical characteristic of it, it just produces more detail.
    That said, there are a few carts that I would like to try someday, a SPU and a AT33PTG/2.

BillWojo

HiFi Guy, Doctor Fine and Davey like this.
  16. woodpigeon

woodpigeon Forum Resident

I’m in the inverse position — enjoying the Quintet Black, but also watching so many people rave about the OC9 series at a much lower price point.

HiFi Guy and Davey like this.
  17. Westerwick

Westerwick Forum Resident

I voted for the Dynavector 10x5 only because it was the only sub MC cart I owned. I moved on to a Dynavector 17D later and then a Van den Hul before settling on a Transfiguration.

Davey likes this.
  18. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

So what are the strong points of the Black?
    Is it the 'S' version?

woodpigeon likes this.
  19. StratDoc

StratDoc Sapien

The Goldring Eroica LX is a nice cart for well under $1000.

Davey likes this.
  20. Davey

Thanks, I missed Goldring in both polls, don't hear much about them on the MC side and some of the big stores have discontinued them, are you a past user? I see Goldring and I only think MM or MI, but knew they also have a MC line, looks like the Eroica and Elite both come in under $1000 now, and the Ethos around $1500.

21. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

Better scratch this thread and start all over then...

22. Davey

Yea, the results probably won't be accepted by the poll oversight committee now. Oh well, apologies to the Goldring faithful.

And while I'm making apologies, can't believe I left Benz Micro off the list, the Glider would probably be my top pick if it was there. Not easy to buy under $1000 in the US right now, but can be had for $700-$800 from kron. And the ACE may still be in play too, not sure if he gets them anymore, but was offered in the $550 range. And the Gold should've definitely been on the list. In my own feeble defense, I referenced some of the big stores like Upscale and MD to round out the selection list, and none of them carry Benz Micro carts.

23. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

This thread is still quite valid, the poll is just window dressing.

Davey likes this.
  24. tiger roach

tiger roach Forum Resident

Love the Hana SL, but to be fair, it is the only one listed that I have heard. :D

25. VintageVibe

VintageVibe Forum Resident

Voted Denon 103r 'cause I've had 3. Also currently using the 103D on the newer deck.

Kind of itching to try the Hana ML.

Anyone using one?

RobGordon35 and Spazotron3000 like this.