The biggest charting hit that was exclusive to a Greatest Hits type compilation?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Rooster_Ties, Sep 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rooster_Ties

Rooster_Ties Senior Member Thread Starter

Plenty of tracks that were added to Greatest Hits albums, that *weren't* previously on any other album (or that *hadn't* been previously released as a non-LP single).

So what "new song" added to a Greatest Hit compilation of any sort -- LP or CD era -- was the BIGGEST HIT (highest charting, or 'most well-known', however else you want to measure it).

Basically, were there ever any massive, massive hits where their first release was exclusive to a "Best of..." type album??

2. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Pet Shop Boys-Miracles, 2003 'Popart'
    1 UK Dance
    10 UK Singles
    OMD-Dreaming, 1988 'The Best of OMD'
    16 US Billboard

3. Sammy Waslow

Sammy Waslow Just watching the show

Tom Petty - never one to happily play along with record company strategy - wasn't convinced by the idea of the obligatory "previously unreleased tracks" being included on the Greatest Hits album, but acknowledged that Mary Jane's Last Dance ended up being a sizeable hit, which justified its inclusion. Reaching #14 on the Billboard chart, only four Petty singles had charted higher in the US up to that point. It's obviously by no means Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers' biggest hit, but - in terms of new tracks being used to prompt completists to fork out for such compilations - it's a standout.

4. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

I thought that one was much bigger. At the very least it looms very large in his legend.

5. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Depeche Mode-Only When I Lose Myself, 1998 'Singles 86>98
    1-Spain
    Charted worldwide

pantofis, Neonbeam and negative1 like this.
  6. guerilla1977

guerilla1977 Forum Resident

Released on Rock 'n' Soul: Part 1 and reached #2 in the US.

[​IMG]

7. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

The Canadian version of Queens Greatest Hits in 1981 included their collaboration with David Bowie "Under Pressure", not released on a studio album until 1982.

pinkrudy, George P, basie-fan and 4 others like this.
  8. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

Kate Bush - Experiment IV off "The Whole Story"

Ireland #12
    UK #23

9. x2zero

x2zero Forum Resident

Stevie Wonder's Original Musiquarium I, had a few singles, biggest I think was That Girl

10. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

One interesting case: the Grass Roots already had two greatest hits albums by 1971, but scored a top ten hit with "Sooner or Later." They must not have had enough songs for a new studio album, so ABC put out another greatest hits album including "Sooner or Later" plus songs from the previous two hits albums.

Suncola and rodentdog like this.
  11. CheshireCat

CheshireCat Forum Resident

Cliff Richard's 'Private Collection 1979-1988', contained one new track, the new single MISTLETOE AND WINE, a UK number one, and the year's best selling single.

12. WolfSpear

WolfSpear Music Enthusiast

Lady - Kenny Rogers
    #1 USA

From his Greatest Hits (1980)

13. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

"Tonight She Comes" by the Cars hit #7 on the Billboard Top 40.

Joe W, ZippyPippy, Pete Puma and 17 others like this.
  14. Michael P

Michael P Forum Resident

"A Beautiful Morning" from The Rascals "Time / Peace The Rascals Greatest Hits".

15. BadJack

BadJack doorman who always high-fives children of divorce

Madonna's "Justify My Love", from "The Immaculate Collection", hit #1.

phillyal1, Dodoz, smokeverbs and 20 others like this.
  16. Saul Pimon

Saul Pimon Co-hosts Nothing Is Real Beatles Podcast (Jason!)

“You’re Only Human (Second Wind)” by Billy Joel went Top Ten in the US. Don’t think it’s remembered particularly well - does he play it in concert?

smokeverbs, pantofis, 905 and 5 others like this.
  17. bataclan2002

bataclan2002 All You Need Is Now.

Sly and the Family Stone- Thank You...
    maybe include this. It was a single, hit number 1 and then appeared on Greatest Hits. I think of it as coming from the GH album but I could be wrong.

Hammerpeg likes this.
  18. Rooster_Ties

Rooster_Ties Senior Member Thread Starter

If it was a single first, and charted from that -- I don't think that counts.

I was thinking of songs that were exclusive to the Greatest Hits -- unless, I suppose, the single was the single-release in conjunction with the Greatest Hits package. Subtle distinction, I realize.

But some huge non-LP single running up the charts, and then 2 years later it appears on a Greatest Hits album -- that's not what I'm looking for here.

smokeverbs and CheshireCat like this.
  19. downer

downer Senior Member

Olivia Newton-John ‘Heart Attack’ from Olivia’s Greatest Hits Vol. 2 - US Pop No. 3

Also featured another new track ‘Tied Up’ that went to No. 38

20. Szeppelin75

Szeppelin75 Forum Resident

Always by Bon Jovi charted to No3 on the Comp Cross Road charted #4 US and #2 UK. They had several No1 hits but this was a major domestic and International Hits selling in the millions.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
    Maffune, ponkine and Interpolantics like this.
  21. bataclan2002

Yes I see what you mean. Thank You hit no. 1 in February and Greatest Hits came out in November. Wiki says it’s from the album “Greatest Hits”. But it’s still questionable whether it fits your original query. Was it a single from a GH, or was it a single that got included. 9 months gap makes it questionable.

22. bataclan2002

This is the best answer so far. I mean Lady is practically a signature song. Good catch.

23. cut to the chase

cut to the chase Forum Resident

ABBA - 'Gimme! Gimme! Gimme! (A Man After Midnight)' from 'Greatest Hits Volume 2' (1979)
    top 3 all over Europe including #3 in the UK & Germany, #1 in France, Belgium, Switzerland
    top 10 in Australia
    sampled in Madonna's worldwide smash 'Hung Up'

mBen989, greelywinger, Hermes and 6 others like this.
  24. cs2003

cs2003 Forum Resident

Elvis - "A Little Less Conversation" from the album ELV1S.

JasonA, Maffune, Hammerpeg and 5 others like this.
  25. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

"September" was new to "The Best of Earth, Wind & Fire, Vol. 1" and it got to #8.

Arguably their most popular song now, though - I get the impression it's better remembered than any of their other tracks...

Joe W, ZippyPippy, snkcube and 22 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.