The biggest charting hit that was exclusive to a Greatest Hits type compilation?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Rooster_Ties, Sep 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bruno Primas

Bruno Primas Forum Resident

I thought that maybe it qualified because the OP labeled it, "Greatest Hits-TYPE", album, not just limiting it to a greatest hits album, but something in the greatest hits arena.....

.....see what I did there?

2. tensummoner

tensummoner wish i had a nickle.. thats it just wish i had 1

as painful it is for me to do this, i have to give credit where it is due. so I nominate "Tears In Heaven" from Eric Clapton's Unplugged greatest hits album

All Down The Line likes this.
  3. ‘Don’t Stop’ by The Rolling Stones was recorded specifically for Forty Licks in 2002 and reached #21 on the US Billboard Mainstream Rock charts and #36 on the UK Singles charts.

‘Doom and Gloom’ by The Rolling Stones was recorded specifically for GRRR! in 2012 and reached #8 on the US Billboard Herritage Rock charts and #21 on the UK Airplay Top 50 charts.

‘One More Shot’ by The Rolling Stones was recorded specifically for GRRR! in 2012 and reached #13 on the US Billboard Herritage Rock charts and #74 on the UK Airplay Top 100 charts.

All Down The Line likes this.
  4. davecaddie

davecaddie Forum Resident

Personal favourite's - Tom Petty Mary Jane's Last Dance (also such a cool video) & U2 - Window in the Skies - IMO an super under-rated track on their 18 album...blow away the crappy (again imo) collaboration with Green Day - The Saints Are Coming,

Bruno Primas and BeatlesBop like this.
  5. Grant Halliday

Grant Halliday Forum Resident

Chili Peppers’ “Fortune Faded” from 2003’s Greatest Hits reached #11 in the UK singles chart and stayed in the charts for 9 weeks. Not amazing but pretty good going by the Chili Peppers’ chart history in the UK. To compare, the most recent lead single from the last album, Dark Necessities, peaked at #72 and spent 2 weeks in the charts.

tensummoner likes this.
  6. Hermes

Hermes Past Master

Beatles will have some contenders :)

7. debased

debased Senior Member

Earth, Wind & Fire - September (#8 Hot 100, #1 R&B)
    George Benson - Turn Your Love Around (#5 Hot 100, #1 R&B)

8. BadJack

BadJack doorman who always high-fives children of divorce

The only Beatles song that would remotely qualify would be that godawful "Movie Medley" thing from 1982, which nearly hit the top 10. However, I guess it wasn't actually on the "Reel Music" compilation it was designed to promote, so even that doesn't quite make it.

Oatsdad and BeatlesBop like this.
  9. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

Originally released on Clapton's soundtrack to the movie "Rush" a year before, so NOPE.
    And I don't think the Unplugged album (which contains 7 blues covers, 3 songs from Journeyman, and only one original Clapton song recorded before 1989) counts as any sort of "greatest hits."

somnar, mrjinks and Oatsdad like this.
  10. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Was that the Stars on 45?

11. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

No although it was one of several medlies from various bands that followed the Stars on 45 hit in 1981.

12. mtvgeneration

mtvgeneration Forum Resident

The U2 song that was originally recorded for a greatest hits album and was a big hit is the joint venture with Green Day, "The Saints are Coming," from the U218 Singles album. It was not a big hit in the USA, but it was #1 in at least 10 countries and did well in many other countries.

tensummoner likes this.
  13. Pelvis Ressley

Pelvis Ressley Down in the Jungle Room

Far from the biggest, but memorable: "Missing You" (#23 Billboard) and "Make Love Stay" (#29 Billboard) from Dan Fogelberg's Greatest Hits.

14. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

History was a combined new material/Greatest hits album. Grey area there.

15. JayNYC

JayNYC Chase that sound

this is a great thread, thank you to @Rooster_Ties for starting it

16. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

The answer would be...

Mull Of Kintyre.

Studio_Two and Clark V Kauffman like this.
  17. The Police Don't Stand So Close To Me '86 (distinct from the Don't Stand So Close To Me single from 1980). An execrable song from their '86 Singles album that did manage to chart to #46 in the US -so not a contender, but I just wanted another chance to dump on this crummy remake.

18. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

So Clapton Unplugged was a "Greatest Hits" album... :rolleyes:

19. All That Money Wants by The Psychedelic Furs recorded for their All Of This And Nothing hits collection managed to make it all the way to #1 on the US Billboard Modern Rock Tracks chart.

negative1 and George P like this.
  20. Beatlened

Beatlened Forum Resident

Fernando by Abba.

Was added as an afterthought to the recently released Abba's Greatest Hits as it was their new single. It was number one for ages in Australia (for 15 weeks I think), No. 1 in the UK for 4.
    Number one also in Austria, Ireland, Belgium, Canada, Holland, France, Germany, Hungary, New Zealand, Mexico, South Africa and Switzerland. Wasn't number 1 in Sweden though and made no. 13 in the USA

It didn't appear on any of Abba's studio albums.

I doubt there's anything bigger than this.

21. bataclan2002

bataclan2002 All You Need Is Now.

For the record, That Girl peaked at #4 pop.

22. rjp

rjp Senior Member

dan fogelberg - missing you b/w make love stay

Galley likes this.
  23. Hexwood

Hexwood Forum Resident

ABBA - Gimme! Gimme! Gimme!

Jarleboy likes this.
  24. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

First one I thought of.

Adding a previously unreleased song to a greatest hits compilation, as a purchase incentive for those who might already have all or most of the albums, seemed to become a standard thing at some point in the 1990s.

Jarleboy likes this.
  25. MarcS

MarcS Forum Resident

Monkees -That Was Then this is Now was a top 20 hit and 1986 and first appeared on a Best of the Monkees collection that year;
    Fleetwood Mac; As Long as You Follow was on a 1988 Greatest Hits album and was a #1 a/c hit..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.