The biggest charting hit that was exclusive to a Greatest Hits type compilation?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Rooster_Ties, Sep 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SWLABR

SWLABR Forum Resident

Anything on Beatles Past Masters. 30+ songs, almost all hits, none previously released on an album. WOW!

2. Papi Hipbone323

Papi Hipbone323 The Stouffer's Lasagna of Audiophiles

Ozzy Osbourne "Back on Earth" --- #3 on the Mainstream Rock Chart in 1997 from The Ozzman Cometh.

3. Matty

Matty Senior Member

Well, it's accurate to say that they weren't released between 1963 and 1970 on any of the Beatles' UK studio albums. But the majority of them appeared on US albums during that time, and all of them (or nearly all of them) had appeared on hits collections in the US and UK long before the Past Masters collections came out.

4. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

Actually it appeared on the Aus/NZ release of the Arrival album, so technically it doesn't qualify.

5. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

Elton John must have a few.

Don't Go Breaking My heart
    Philadelphia Freedom
    Lucy In the Sky With Diamonds

for starters. All No. 1 hits in at least some territories, I believe.

6. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Happens all the time in Country, which is very much a hit-driven genre. The last album in the contract is practically guaranteed to be a best-of album, where everything else on the album is already playing on the radio, which is the major consumption vehicle for Country fans. So, how you gonna drive that album, which is more than likely the last shot you're gonna get at getting any money out of that artist because they most likely just signed with another label? Don't let 'em out the door with at least a couple of sure-hit tracks - and remember, in this genre the writers are usually more willing than the artist to take your direction. Because whether the artist is jumping ship or not, writers have to keep up a good relationship with all their clients!

So, a greatest-hits-with-benefits album as your contractual obligation project is great all around: artist keep their profile while changing gears with the next deal, writers get another notch in their resume, and your old label gets another shot at the catalogue...which also keeps their new label from insisting the first thing their new artist does is to re-do all their old hits so the new label can have a shot at them.

phillyal1 and Szeppelin75 like this.
  7. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

Big french hit as well. Sadly, many people don't even know it's a remake. I hate what they did to the beat! A straight in your face thing instead of a groovy reggae beat.

8. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

I always find amazing that a re-recorded b-side did so well! It's a great song and the video was cool.

The only thing I don't like is that this 1980-1990 Best Of screamed "okay, enough of that 90s stuff, "Pop" was a mistake, it flopped - by U2 standards...- here's what U2's all about. That image. Not "Pop", not "Zooropa".
    I absolutely loved and still love U2 in the 90s! By no means a mistake.
    It was still a good package though. I like the first version with the bonus CD of b-sides. And I still don't know why they included the beautiful "October" song as a ghost track :)

9. Alexlotl

Alexlotl Forum Resident

Not huge hits, but a few of interest…

Crowded House’s best of, Recurring Dream, had three new tracks, all of which were released as singles. Two were UK top 20s, with Instinct hitting #12, their second biggest hit. I think they all charted well in NZ/AUS too.

The Divine Comedy re-recorded The Pop Singer’s Fear of the Pollen Count for their Best Of and made #17 in the UK - not sure if that counts.

10. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

OP wants songs that debuted on GH collections period, not non-album tracks that subsequently appeared on GH collections.

So none of these Elton songs apply. They were non-album singles and weren't tied into GH sets when released...

Jayseph likes this.
  11. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

Fair enough. I missed the OP's bit in brackets.

12. Beatlened

Beatlened Forum Resident

Sure it qualifies . Read the criteria.

13. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

You're not alone! ;)

mrjinks likes this.
  14. LouieG

LouieG Forum Resident

"Spanish Harlem" (US Pop #2, R&B #1) by Aretha Franklin appeared on her 1971 compilation "Aretha's Greatest Hits". The song was the first track on Side A, so I'm guessing it was recorded specifically for the album, even though the single was released 3 months prior to the LP.

15. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Yup. Elton has released a few songs (as singles) with new compilations, though they were at the end of his singles' success days. "You've Gotta Love Someone" was on the To Be Continued box as a new single, and he released a new single with his Love Songs comp, too.

A couple others that were moderately successful that I don't think have been mentioned: The Beautiful South and Paul Weller went UK top 20 with new songs for Carry On Up The Charts ("One Last Love Song") and Modern Classics ("Brand New Start"), respectfully. They were less successful when they tried that trick again with subsequent new singles/new compilations, though (Solid Bronze - "The Root of all Evil", More Modern Classics - "Brand New Toy").

Someone mentioned the two new Billy Joel tracks earlier with his Greatest Hits; he also tried that again, with Greatest Hits Vol 3, though his recording of Dylan's "To Make You Feel My Love" (which pre-dated Bob's version!) didn't even crack the top 40. Continuing the chain, Dylan had done that a couple years earlier, releasing "Dignity" as a single from his Greatest Hits Vol 3 album (to moderate UK success). As Colin pointed out, Mull of Kintyre doesn't fit for McCartney, but Once Upon A Long Ago certainly fit for the UK from Paul's All The Best...

Oatsdad likes this.
  16. peterpyser

peterpyser Forum Resident

Tears For Fears 'Tears Roll Down'

17. ShayLaB

ShayLaB Forum Resident

Justify My Love

The Immaculate Collection

#1 in US, #2 in UK

phillyal1 and jfeldt like this.
  18. DPK

DPK Forum Resident

Foo Fighters' "Wheels" only made it to 72 on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 but it topped Billboard's Hot Rock Songs list and did well on other top sellers lists.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
  19. peterpyser

peterpyser Forum Resident

'Do It To Me' and 'My Destiny' from Lionel Richie's 'Back To Front'.

Sting 'When We Dance' from 'All This Time'.

Donna Summer 'On The Radio'

20. ShayLaB

ShayLaB Forum Resident

Radio by Robbie Williams from Greatest Hits 2004

UK #1

21. ShayLaB

ShayLaB Forum Resident

The Bitterest Pill UK #2
    Beat Surrender UK #1

The Jam.

From compilation Snap!

22. DPK

DPK Forum Resident

Public Image Limited's "Don't Ask Me" reached #2 on the Billboard U.S. Alternative Songs chart and #22 on the Billboard U.K. singles chart. Not too shabby, especially for PiL.

c-eling likes this.
  23. DPK

DPK Forum Resident

Great tunes by a fantastic band, but I don't think they qualify, based on what I think the OP was looking for. Those were just two non-album singles (The Jam had several of 'em) that were released about a year before Snap!

24. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

I thought of that tune when this thread started, but didn't think it charted, pretty cool!

25. hurple

hurple Forum Resident

I would say Mary Jane too. It only made it to #14? Good lord, that song was EVERYWHERE when it was current. And, it's only grown in stature since.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.