The biggest charting hit that was exclusive to a Greatest Hits type compilation?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Rooster_Ties, Sep 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

The Chemical Brothers-The Golden Path, #17 UK Singles Chart, 2003 "Singles 93-03"
    Here's the most excellent 'Extended Version'

Binni likes this.
  2. hurple

hurple Forum Resident

I'm starting to get the impression that people just post whatever pops into their head without even peeking at the OP.

:pineapple:

Matty, Jayseph, mrjinks and 1 other person like this.
  3. c-eling

James had two chart from the 1998 comp 'Best Of'
    Destiny Calling-#17/Runaground-#29 (UK)

DPK and Binni like this.
  4. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Most of Johnny Mathis' hits, including "Wonderful Wonderful" and "Chances Are", were exclusive to his greatest-hits album. As was noted here, you did not get these songs if you bought the recent, massive boxed set of his albums.

5. Timeless Classics

Timeless Classics Senior Member

Jackson's Browne "Somebody's Baby" - Jackson Browne recorded the song for the film Fast Times At Ridgemont Hight simply because he was friends with the writer, Cameron Crowe. Other than the soundtrack, which it became the only hit, the song as only appeared on Jackson Brown Greatest Hits compilations.. Reached #7 on US weekly Billboard top 100, and finished the entire year at #68. Great song.

6. BobFan115

BobFan115 Forum Resident

"Sue (Or In a Season of Crime)" was a new song/lead single from Bowie's late career GH package Nothing Has Changed. I do not know how high it charted but Maria Schneider won a Grammy for it (arranging). Bowie then redid it on Blackstar.

jfeldt and Alexlotl like this.
  7. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Sometimes songs with videos that get massive play seem like they charted higher than they did!

8. hurple

hurple Forum Resident

Either that or I live in a weird Tom Petty-centric bubble that makes all his stuff seem far more popular than it actually is. I was also shocked that Hypnotic Eye was his first #1 album. So, there is that.

500Homeruns likes this.
  9. How about Van Halen - "Me Wise Magic"? :)

Papi Hipbone323 likes this.
  10. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

If Soundtracks that compile past hits and new tunes count, I am going with either Stayin Alive or How Deep Is Your Love

11. DPK

DPK Forum Resident

Nice picks! Coincidentally, I just now listened to "Destiny Calling" on YouTube. What a great tune! "Runaground" ain't too shabby either. I love this band.

c-eling likes this.
  12. NiceMrMustard

NiceMrMustard Forum Resident

Hypnotic Eye was probably #1 due to downloads vs. sales of the actual CD. Apples to oranges.

13. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I think "MJLD" was just a super-popular video and that inflated the song's success.

Same with "Don't Come Around Here No More" - single "only" got to #13 but the video played constantly!

phillyal1 likes this.
  14. NiceMrMustard

NiceMrMustard Forum Resident

A few not mentioned yet......OMD's "Dreaming" (top 20 hit in the US), R.E.M.'s "Bad Day" from their Warner Bros. Greatest Hits set (not sure if it charted, but it was played on AOR in my town), The Fixx "Deeper and Deeper."

15. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

I recall Hypnotic Eye being #1 due to ticket bundling with a new tour.

EDIT: Yup.

16. BwanaBob

BwanaBob Forum Resident

God are people dense.

Don't you understand the word "debut"?
    It's when something first appeared - period.
    Singles, soundtrack cuts, b-sides before the greatest hit release are ineligible for this discussion.
    I have a headache from reading this thread and I'm not even the OP.

hurple and music4life like this.
  17. music4life

music4life Senior Member

"Read 'em and Weep" from Barry Manilow's Greatest Hits, Vol II (1983) #18 Pop, #1 AC
    "Once Upon a Long Ago" from Paul McCartney's "All The Best!" (1987) #10 Pop (UK)

18. ZippyPippy

ZippyPippy Forum Resident

Ah, so I’m not alone.

My wife and I have a running joke about the song as played live. First at verizon, it seemed to turn into a dirge that went like 20 minutes to the point that it really seemed to go off the rails — we actually got up and left.

Now, any sort of jazz odyssey hint from another artist immediately makes me sing, as he did, the words ‘ribbon in the sky’ repeatedly. (And then, he mgm show this year with the singalong made me burst out laughing.)

Oatsdad likes this.
  19. LarsO

LarsO Forum Resident

To me this one wins the thread. He had some big and puffy ballads but they were good!

20. c-eling

See Post #2 :winkgrin:

21. radickeyfan

radickeyfan Forum Resident

as someone mentioned On The Radio by Donna S .....is the correct answer , as the biggest hit introduced on hits comp ....it was used in Foxes (film) but that was released 6 months after the album

22. lloydie77

lloydie77 Forum Resident

I logged in just to post my favorite song that fits the criteria: Alabama's "She and I", the single from their first greatest hits comp. It's a killer tune and the best thing they ever did IMO, as well as being a huge hit at the time.

23. JeffHunt

JeffHunt Stray Cat Strutting

Re-recorded and released as the single off of Keith's Greatest Hits album (it wasn't on the original pressings), it was a #1 country hit shortly after:

24. LouieG

LouieG Forum Resident

"The Other Guy" - Little River Band (US #11, US/AC #6) - released with 1982's Greatest Hits LP.

25. radickeyfan

radickeyfan Forum Resident

a lot of replies-but like pointed out earlier in the thread it is Donna Summer On The Radio

Clark V Kauffman likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.