The BILL EVANS thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Yesternow, Dec 15, 2017.

1. Aegir

Aegir Forum Resident

My first stop was Sound Exchange in Wayne. It opened at 10 and I got there at 10:15. There were a large number of people in the store already, so I don’t know if they had it and someone bought it or they never had it. My second stop was Station 1 in Pompton Lakes which opened at noon. Not wanting a repeat of what happened earlier, I got there at 11:30 and waited in my car in front of the store. Around 11:45 a guy came outside to put a rack of DVDs in front of the store. I asked him if they had Behind the Dikes and he said no. At that point I figured by the time I got to another record store in the area everything would have been picked through so I gave up and went home.

ILovethebassclarinet likes this.
  2. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

The CD will be just as good. It will save about $60, which can be used for car repairs

3. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

Very familiar with both shops. The guys at Station 1 are great, and Art, the owner of Sound Exchange, is gruff, but actually a pretty nice guy. I didn't know Sound Exchange ever bothered with jazz, and didn't know Station 1 had started doing RSD. Haven't been out to Station 1 since Christmastime. I should get out there soon.

Resonance, Elemental, or whatever label Zev Feldman is involved with do a nice job with CDs too. Can't have everything on vinyl. I'm mulling over whether to chase Roy Brooks' Understanding down on vinyl or just get the CD for $25 or whatever it is.

$60 will get you a set of windshield wipers...

4. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

I went to Scotti’s in Summit at around 1. They only had the Hargrove Miller left. I’m sure the Evans was sold out early. I was looking for some non jazz material and I was successful.

Did you try calling Jim Eigo’s store in Warwick, NY. Sometimes he has stuff others don’t. It’s not that far, just a straight drive up Rt 15 and then some small roads.

5. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

That only pays for the installation.

6. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

What is that store?

I knew "Jimmy" about 50 years ago.

He might still be upset about the time we were shopping together and I found some stuff that he wanted too. We did not stop speaking, but he never went out hunting with me after that.

7. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

Record store in a small mall. He also has a company called Jazz Promotion Services.

8. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Name of the store and name of the mall?

9. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

Sound Exchange doesn't do jazz at all, I was there at about 10 minutes after 10am, so Aegir and I were probably in line and in the store at the same time. They can try and order jazz for RSD if you tell him ahead, but he will only order 1 copy and he can't hold it as per RSD rules. Regardless, I went picked up a few things, and when I asked once again about Jazz, he said he did bring in Miles Davis and Aretha (not jazz, but not his typical customer either). I bought the Aretha (and other items) and told him I would call him before any other RSD and see if can get some jazz titles.

And I was at Scotti's at 1pm as well, so Bradd and I were probably in the store at the same time. I left about 1:20pm, after I purchased my stuff (picked up the last copies of M.T.B. Consenting Adults and Christian McBride, and got a Charles Lloyd but there were some left) and after talking to Gary and Susan for about 15 minutes.

Pretty ironic two other SHF members in the two stores I went to at the same time and we didn't know. Just in case.... even though I am fully vaccinated I still wear a mask when indoors at any store, and I have a pretty full and long white beard which sticks out of the mask (and I was wearing a Dead hat) - so maybe either of you saw me?

Last edited: Jul 19, 2021
  10. frightwigwam

frightwigwam Talented Amateur

I don't know about that, but if you google his name + Warwick, NY, his Facebook, Linkedin, and a page with phone/email info comes up in the first three hits.

11. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

Same here about being fully vaccinated and wearing a mask. I’m sure we missed each other because I was the only masked person there!

12. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

Original Vinyl Records
    314 State Route 94 South
    Store 7
    Warwick

www.original vinyl records.com

Tribute and frightwigwam like this.
  13. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

I forgot to add that it’s very rural out there so the “mall” is maybe seven or eight stores. I’ve been out there for brief hikes on the Appalachian Trail with my son.

14. MalteseFlamingo

MalteseFlamingo Well-Known Member

I just got through record 1 of Behind the Dikes and sq is very good. Better than the resonance Hilversum concert. It will take me a few days to digest the music itself. Bill has been pretty lively so far.
    It was sold out at 2 stores near me so I got it on eBay.

15. frightwigwam

frightwigwam Talented Amateur

Bill Evans & Eddie Gomez, "Up with the Lark," Monterey 1975

paulmock and lemonade kid like this.
  16. Martin Henry T

Martin Henry T Well-Known Member

Can anyone clarity if the Behind the Dykes ( and for that matter the other Bill Evans released over the years that have been recorded initially for radio transmission ) is likely to be an analogue recording....... the release is stated to be sourced directly from the original tapes , but my understanding has been that recordings sourced from broadcasts were digitalised or was this only when they have literally been recorded from a broadcast aka bootlegged ?

If not then indeed the CD will be as good as the vinyl to me.

Apologies both if this is a daft question ( but then we will never learn ) and if this has been brought up elsewhere .

Harrison_Bergeron likes this.
  17. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

My understanding is that none of them are AAA, but the ones from broadcasts are from original sources (Pre-FM), not from a cassette or RTR tape made by a fan.

As for whether any of the CD versions are "as good" as vinyl, that's all down to you.

paulmock and Harrison_Bergeron like this.
  18. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing

Lovely!

frightwigwam likes this.
  19. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Anyone else here get the RSD Behind The Dykes. I'm seeing some good feedback on this regarding the SQ on the RSD thread, but I'm still ever so hesitant to spend $63 on this, still the original sell where I can get it, but I just have such cold feet after dealing with a couple of the recent RSD releases.

edit - looks like this is a good one. Did I ever get lucky, just called my local store and they still had one copy left #431 and for the original sell of $64...they are holding it and will pick it up this Friday.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2021
  20. Martin Henry T

Martin Henry T Well-Known Member

Thanks .....that was my understanding too , but not sure of the scientific basis of this ........ it would make sense however that the recording was made using conventional analogue means to a master tape , and this used to broadcast , in which case the use of the source tape from the broadcaster as in Behind The Dykes should be analogue , however this is not being claimed as far as I am aware .... strange. If anyone knows the technical issues behind this I would be interested to have this clarified.

In the mean time I have amassed 40+ vinyl pressings from Bill Evans , and 20+ cd's ( I think that this is a bit of an obsession now , but dont tell the wife ) so I can afford to miss this one at the price in the UK of GBP 78 ....thats 0ver 110USD .....hence my preference in this instance for the cd set !

scotti likes this.
  21. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

Bill Evans feature in new issue of Mojo (#334, September 2021).

22. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

These most always have a digital step used (Elemental Records and Resonance) so I'm sure Behind The Dykes does as well. When these are mastered properly, they can sound really good, which seems to be what folks are saying about this Bill Evans..

23. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

24. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Some interesting comments. As far as LaFaro and Ornette Coleman I think the Ornette! album is more important than Free Jazz (although LaFaro and Charlie Haden nearly steal the latter album with their duet on side two).

25. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

I love it, the kid who wrote the article mentions of his death on the interstate. Interstates were in their infancy in 1961! Scott died on a winding, 2 lane road in a very rural ,part of NY State. :sigh:

Back to our regularly scheduled broadcast....

ILovethebassclarinet and Aegir like this.