The BILL EVANS thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Yesternow, Dec 15, 2017.

1. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

I know that. I own the 3LP and the 2CD. I was responding to a comment re: Resonance.

2. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

The bag was not sealed. Open at the top, LPs packaged outside the sleeve.
    It's excellent. About as full and rich as a piano trio recorded live in 1969 could sound.

Aegir, teag and Harrison_Bergeron like this.
  3. thecomposer10

thecomposer10 Forum Resident

For those still looking for the LP of Behind the Dikes, Obsession Records in Anchorage AK had two copies ($69) the last time I was in a few days ago. You might try to call and see if he can ship.

4. frightwigwam

frightwigwam Talented Amateur

Anyway, Elemental Music is just another label run by Zev Feldman.

5. mkortjohn

mkortjohn Forum Resident

Yes, I consider Elemental the same as Resonance for all intents and purposes. Does anyone know why BTD was released on Elemental and not Resonance?

ILovethebassclarinet and teag like this.
  6. Harrison_Bergeron

Harrison_Bergeron Well-Known Member

I’m more curious why Anagram Music is listed as the label on the RSD website.

7. frightwigwam

frightwigwam Talented Amateur

After seeing that on the website, I had an idea that they might be creating a label just for Bill Evans releases, named for his interest in anagrams. But, I don't see "Anagram" anywhere on the CD package or discs.

8. Thats the way most good retailers and the japanese mailorder services send their LP's to protect the cardbord covers. If they say its mint it is mint is my experience. Think about it.

9. sigmafloyd

sigmafloyd Active Member

Did anyone else get a screwed-up version of Behind the Dikes?

Mine came with 4 LPs, 2 of LP 1 and 2 of LP2. No LP3!!!!

Bought it from the ingroove at 1:00PM on the dot.

Would love to find someone else with a screwed up order that has Disc 3.

CBackley likes this.
  10. sigmafloyd

sigmafloyd Active Member

On a related note to above, if anyone wants to get LP1 and LP2 on the cheap, minus the packaging, I'd be down to sell them. LP1-2 contain the entire 3/26/69 show

11. Sent you a PM on that :righton:

12. teag

teag Forum Resident

That was after I had sent one.

13. sigmafloyd

sigmafloyd Active Member

Yes, extras already spoken for, but if anyone does have a disc 3, please DM me!

14. sambamaster

sambamaster Forum Resident

I live in Italy and have to say, Amazon.it is the worst. Amazon Germany is almost always cheaper. So now that the CD of Behind the Dikes is available over here, I compared prices and Amazon.de had it for €22, Amazon.it has it for €29. Even with the €5 shipping fee from "outside Italy", it was cheaper. And, it still arrived overnight, from the same exact warehouse used by Amazon.it. I really don't understand the pricing policies over here!!! And actually, the shipping was not €5 since I ordered a Keith Jarrett CD at the same time, also with a lower price than Italy, and it also arrived today, from the same Italian warehouse which is about 90 minutes from my home! So my out of pocket for "Dikes" was about €25, four under Italy's price.
    I'm so glad I'm moving to Mexico at the end of August, Italy is an infuriating place to live...lovely, with ok food, but grrrrrrrrrr! (Mexican food is far more interesting in my opinion, and I know both cuisines intimately...)

The music on this CD is really fantastic, but that should come as no surprise...the recording is top notch also. I highly recommend this release! Congrats to Zev on another winner.

15. mkortjohn

mkortjohn Forum Resident

misteranderson likes this.
  16. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

17. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

I purchased this a few months ago through CD Japan but I see that it’s now sold out there too.

18. Martin Henry T

Martin Henry T Well-Known Member

Following all the excitement concerning the latest releases of " new " material on Resonance, Craft and Elemental, I found time to revisit The Paris Concert ( edition 1 + 2 ) which I have on vinyl ...... I had forgotten just what a wonderful set of releases these are ..... not just in the quality of the recording and mastering which has a level of clarity particularly on the piano which is IMO only matched by that of
    You Must Believe in Spring and the 80's OJC remasters , but in which despite their late recording date ( November 1979) see's Bill's playing well removed from the hard swinging typical of his many 70's releases and more reminiscent of the more contemplative , space filled earlier issues of the late 50's and early 60's.

These were recorded as a live date by Radio France for radio transmission , and then issued both on CD and Vinyl by Elecktra / Asylum Records , part of Warner ...... I dont know if there is any digital step involved , however either way they sound absolutely terrific !

Last edited: Aug 3, 2021
    JazzcornerND and mkortjohn like this.
  19. mkortjohn

mkortjohn Forum Resident

What year is your release? Everyone raves about the ORG 2X45 release, but I wonder if the magic is more in the quality of the original recording than in subsequent remasterings.

20. Martin Henry T

Martin Henry T Well-Known Member

On no , I didn't even know about the ORG release .......
    No I was referring to the 83 standard vinyl release , themselves pretty special ...... Can anyone point me in the direction of a comparison between the two ?

21. ILovethebassclarinet

ILovethebassclarinet Forum Resident

Hmmm, I'm still awaiting the arrival of the August issue...

22. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

I bought two copies of Behind the Dikes; one on RSD, and one a few days later online. My first set was all dish warped to various degrees so I wanted a replacement. The replacement was also all dish warped. I listened to one of the copies and, man, what a great album! The warping is unfortunate but it didn’t appear to affect the sound at all.

23. ILovethebassclarinet

While I've FEARED breaking the disc on more than one occasion when fighting with a too tight set of spokes, I've never actually done so; spokes, OTOH, are generally just waiting to be broken; not infrequently, as happened last Friday, they've broken before I've even gotten the disc into the player for the first time. I've come to favor the 'mini-double LP' style format, as long as the pockets are large enough to accommodate inner sleeves; "nothing to break."

frightwigwam likes this.
  24. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

It is funny that record covers were conceived in order to protect the records, but now many people will not put any record inside the cover in order to protect the cover.

25. ILovethebassclarinet

In the "2 option either/or question," I'd gladly prefer the pristine LP with a damaged cover over the damaged LP with a pristine cover...

Aegir likes this.