The Black Crowes are in Sunset Sound recording a new album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Graham, Jan 21, 2022.

1. STGATX

STGATX Forum Resident

Knowing Steve won't be a part of this is a let down for me. I'm glad he escaped the Brothers, but damn would I love to hear his drums on new BC stuff. But, Isaiah Mitchell gets some more $$ to keep Earthless in studio time, that's always a good thing...

2. KngCrmsn22

KngCrmsn22 Forum Resident

I re-visited Warpaint today and it's okay for me, but not something I listen to that often. My favorite song on there is Wee Who See the Deep.

3. SizzleVonSizzleton

SizzleVonSizzleton The Last Yeti

For me it's There's Gold In Them Hills. Fantastic song.

It's an album that works best as a complete listen. Picking songs out randomly lessens them.

4. Alright4now

Alright4now Forum Resident

Hahaha. The only complaining on this thread is the complaining about the complaining. Pre-emptive complaining. The serpent eats its own tail!

5. cable hogue

cable hogue Forum Resident

I've yet to see a mention of new "Black Crowes" material being recorded this week. That post-it note on Instagram leads me to believe they've so far recorded covers. I'm kinda surprised It's Only Rock N Roll isn't on that list (at least that I can see).

Bluesman Mark likes this.
  6. Python

Python Forum Resident

This is great news...obviously the longest gap between new Crowes music (assuming it's original and not covers!), will be interesting to see where they land, if you consider 90-97 phase I, 98-01 phase II and then 08-09 phase III of the band's original output.

At first I was disturbed when they got back together, for reasons I'm sure I detailed on other threads but won't go into here, but despite everything they're still one of my favorite bands of all time (happen to be listening to Dec. 13, '96 as I write this!), so if they've truly mended their wounds and can work together, good things could happen. I liked CRB a lot, but usually more the words than the music, and though I never got into Rich's stuff or Magpie (because the lyrics/vocals were so bad), his riffs and songs back with Chris's lyrics and vocals could be great again, we'll see.

The weak link for me in the one show I saw last year was the new lead guitarist, not because he wasn't Marc (or Luther, or Paul, or Jeff, or Audley, or whatever) but I just didn't like his tone/style. But he also wasn't playing a single original lead, so I'm fully open to hear what he can do with new material.

7. Efus

Efus Senior Member

Fwiw, Earthless has a new album Night Parade Of 100 Demons, dropping next Friday, and they're doing a bunch of live dates over the next month or so on the west coast, as well as Utah, NM and Arizona, I believe.

STGATX likes this.
  8. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

Hopefully the covers are to get themselves warmed up and ready to record original material.

9. Bill Pafford

Bill Pafford Hyperactive!

I hope it's not a covers album. They do some great covers, but I'm happy with the live recordings for those.

10. Doomster

Doomster Forum Resident

I’m keen to hear this …

I thought Before the Frost … Until the Freeze was actually their best since Three Snakes and a Charm.

For me, By Your Side was a bit too glossy, Lions had a mix of great and tepid moments and Warpaint was workmanlike.

Although there’s some chaff in there, the Chris Robinson Brotherhood (ouch, Rich!) can be stellar (The Magic Door, Phosphorescent Harvest and Barefoot in the Head are the standouts for me, lots of moments genuinely as good as the Crowes), so we know Chris’ muse hasn’t left him.

11. Graham

Graham Senior Member Thread Starter

High Water II was strong too. The brothers have still got it, it's just whether they decide to do a By Your Side 2 or not. I predict a Warpaint-esque LP that has a couple of great moments, a couple of not-so-great ones, and is otherwise pretty good if unexciting.

12. dixiedixie69

dixiedixie69 Forum Resident

I struggled with CRB,as I'm not a Dead-head and that whole vibe isn't my thing.
    I had really high hopes for TMS,and for the most part,they lived up to them.
    I think they needed a producer for both records,but the sings are there.I have live recordings where the RR/Ford team still shone.

The brothers need a strong hand guiding them on this one.

13. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Great new, but I really really hope its all (or almost all) original material. Don't want a covers album. Leave the covers for the live shows.

ARK, Hep Alien, Who'sTommy and 3 others like this.
  14. Elliottmarx

Elliottmarx Always in the mood for Burt Bacharach

Covers could just be bonus tracks for deluxe editions and what not. No matter what, this is good news.

ARK and Matthew Tate like this.
  15. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

Real music, real rock-n-roll, love the Crowes!

laf848, Matthew Tate and Jimmy Cooper like this.
  16. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

That is a top-notch song though. Love it.

17. Bob Lamonta

Bob Lamonta Forum Resident

The guy posting the Instagram stuff - Sean Genocky - was in Moke, which was John Hogg's original band. He recorded a bunch of the High Water stuff, but was not a producer. I've not seen any pictures with a producer so far. If they had one, especially if it was someone high-profile like Drakoulias, I imagine they'd be sure to get his mug in there.

For budgetary (and ego?) reasons, my guess is that CR / RR are producing these sessions. I'd obviously rather hear new material, but it's been so long since they put out anything, that I'll be happy with some covers. Especially if one of them is "Easy To Slip" (which is on that Post-It). Little Feat should be sung every day by someone in a studio somewhere.

18. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

Re: the covers, I've heard of artists "breaking in" a studio/engineers by recording some covers, just to get warmed up and learn the room before getting down to the hard work. Although I guess Sunset Sound isn't a new studio for them...

Matthew Tate likes this.
  19. Doomster

Doomster Forum Resident

I think it depends what you tried and what you imagine Deadhead to mean - for me, a few of those studio albums (Phosphorent Harvest in particular) aren’t especially jam oriented at all. Just great songs.

20. Old Fart At Play

Old Fart At Play He won't eat it, he hates everything

I'm sure they'll do an album at some point, but them being in the studio doesn't necessarily mean these sessions are for a new album. Perhaps these are bonus tracks for a live release from the last tour. Who knows, maybe they're just tracking some covers to try to get them licensed in some commercials. We'll (probably) find out eventually.

21. Old Fart At Play

Old Fart At Play He won't eat it, he hates everything

Please, please, please, please tell me that's not Chris' foot in that picture.

Stones Blah and Matthew Tate like this.
  22. Sex Lies And Master Tapes

Sex Lies And Master Tapes Gaulois réfractaire

This photo would do a great album's cover.
    Maybe because the dog is cute as hell.... :love:

ARK, WarEagleRK and Old Fart At Play like this.
  23. Graham

Graham Senior Member Thread Starter

I think it’s The Chauffeur’s Daughter’s foot.

Old Fart At Play likes this.
  24. M2225

M2225 Nebulus 7 intergalaxy eclipse

Always up for some new Crowes, not many other of them 90's acts left are there?

Vinyl_Blues and Matthew Tate like this.
  25. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

I enjoyed the new lineup live when I saw them at the Forum gig last year, and Chris still has "it" vocally. I am still bummed Steve is not there however I am very curious as to how fresh material from TBC will be and will gladly check it out once it comes to light

I know in a couple of the Robinson bros' press interviews for the tour they mentioned a lot of the material was a little more rocking due to them reflecting on their debut album since it was their live focus. As someone who prefers the rocking albums from their first decade rather than albums like Warpaint or "Frost", which fell flat to me, I am intrigued