The Blacklist with James Spader

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by The Panda, Sep 19, 2013.

1. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Forum Resident

In the series finale and spinoff, Reddington will buy a B&B on Oak Island.

MikaelaArsenault and George P like this.
  2. rjp

rjp Senior Member

the show is much better without her.

wouldn't be surprised if they get an extension beyond next year.

AndyNicks and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  3. tdavis0903

tdavis0903 Forum Resident

Just wow...I need time to digest what I just saw, season finale next week. Excellent episode, won't say anymore to spoil anything just yet except below comment. @Vidiot should we hold off on the pitchforks and torches until next week?!?

The actor they put in for Brian Dennehy since he sadly passed away last year does a good job, but Brian brought a brilliant edge to the dad character Dom. He's missed, loved him in every movie I saw him in

4. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

Well, that was convoluted and…boring.

TimGoodwin likes this.
  5. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I've been watching television for at least 95% of my life, and I have never, ever, seen a show as convoluted and crazy and bizarre as The Blacklist. They had to shoehorn in about 27 different references from the past 8 seasons to tie together all the disconnected plot details about who James Spader's character really is, who he's working for, why Elizabeth Keen is being hunted down, and what secrets Red Reddington hides. This is the first episode in which we actually got some real answers, and while they strung us along for a lot of it, by god, it had actual chunks of real story for a change. And rare to see B&W with heavy 16mm grain and anamorphic lens flares on TV -- interesting look.

'The Blacklist' recap: This is a man's world

[​IMG]

Although... the showrunners have apparently forgot that they established over a year ago that Red Reddington is dying: he was coughing up blood and taking 2 dozen pills a day at one point. What happened with that? How can they extend a show with a guy who's dying?

tdavis0903 and marmalade166 like this.
  6. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

It’s called TV
    Look not at Dallas
    You are dreaming baby! Lol

7. tdavis0903

tdavis0903 Forum Resident

Are they seriously hinting that Red is Katrina after a sex change and/or cosmetic surgery?

I have no issue, just that's an incredible plot twist if it is since Red has always been the most interesting man of the world with his amazing stories.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2021
    Vidiot likes this.
  8. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage!

They certainly seemed to be

9. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Yes, that is the shocking theory about who Red Reddington really is. They key word in last night's episode was, they said "we constructed a new Red Reddington to take the old one's place," and they show somebody being operated on a bloody surgical table. They had done a previous episode about a surgeon that changed people's faces to give them a new identity, and I think Reddington had to stop or kill the doctor from revealing his own secrets.

Let's just say that the theory makes sense, it's absolutely shocking, and I think this is what the creator of the show had in mind from day one. Red is not who we thought he was... at all. But it does explain why Red is so absolutely hell-bent on keeping Liz alive at any cost.

For those who want to explore the secret theory -- which has been a fan theory for awhile -- here's a link:

'The Blacklist': The Biggest Answer of the Series May Have Been Hidden in Plain Sight

It reminds me a little bit of the finale of the Dustin Hoffman film Tootsie, if you catch my drift. As Bill Murray said in that movie, "this is one wacky show!"

shokhead and George P like this.
  10. tdcrjeff

tdcrjeff Senior Member

Moved to Wed for the (golf) US Open? WTF are the moving a first-run scripted TV show from its regular slot for weeknight sports? And only the 2nd day of a 4 day event at that. Or for "Olympic Trials"?

11. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Where did you read that?

12. tdcrjeff

tdcrjeff Senior Member

Didn't read it anywhere, but that's what NBC is showing Fri night this week and next.

13. Very good point! At the time I wondered if Spader's contract was up for renewal and that was the show's way of making his character dispensable if he asked for too much.

14. George P

George P Notable Member

Not dying, maybe just having complications from his transformation.

marmalade166 likes this.
  15. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I actually think it was done for 2 reasons: 1) to allow the audience to give Red a little more sympathy, and 2) to remind us all that time is running out.

I think they can get one more year out of this thing, but beyond that... naaaaaaaa.

Don't give anything away! Besides that, it's only a theory for now. Remember all of Red's surgery was 30+ years ago, so I think he's recovered by this point.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2021
    kevywevy likes this.
  16. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

17. jpelg

jpelg Forum Resident

^That's no surprise. Probably like many, I didn't realize it was moved this week. Normally I DVR the episode, but this week watched on-demand.

That being said, after watching the latest episode, I'd say they officially out-Dallas'ed Dallas!

18. Dok

Dok Senior Member

How does this jive with him being intimate (if he actually was) with Anne Foster? A phalloplasty with a penile implant?? Seems like that would create a lot of issues.

19. shokhead

An issue on which end?

marmalade166 likes this.
  20. rjp

rjp Senior Member

lots answered............but...........what happened to the bag of bones, or did i miss that somewhere along the way?

shokhead likes this.
  21. shokhead

Maybe those are the really real Red
    Lol

22. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Yeah, my partner brought that up as well. There's a lot of "odd" details about Red's life that the audience may just have to fill in for themselves.

But it does explain the massive burn scars on Red Reddington's back, which we saw way back in like in the 2nd season or something. And this covers how and why Red was at the fire in the first place.

marmalade166 and Dok like this.
  23. Veltri

Veltri ♪♫♫♪♪♫♫♪

That actually seems like a plot hole. Why transform and leave the scars?
    But as you suggest, fill in the reasons yourself: reminder, proof to show Masha...

24. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I think there's only so much they can do for 3rd-degree burns. I know people who've been through that and had skin grafts and the whole thing, and while they're in less discomfort than they were, it's not the same as undamaged, original human skin. I'm looking forward to Red's explanations.

I'll say this, I got the end of the series wrong: I thought for sure it would end with Liz killing Red, and then as he dies he tells her something stunning that causes her to regret what she did, so it'd be a huge shock and regret. It appears that won't happen.

25. jpelg

jpelg Forum Resident

Is it me, or do fires seem to happen a lot around these people? Just sayin...