The Blacklist with James Spader

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by The Panda, Sep 19, 2013.

1. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

2. Detroit Rock Citizen

Detroit Rock Citizen RetroDawg Digital

audiomixer and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  3. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

The last episode was a little better—had some decent twists. Massive kudos for using Deep Purple’s “Child in Time” as the music bed when Red is talking to Marvin in the final scene! (The lyrics tie in thematically if you are familiar with them.)

4. jmobrien68

jmobrien68 Forum Resident

5. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

And a big surprise: Amir Arison ("Aram"), who's one of the longest-serving actors in the show, and Alina Park, are both leaving the show as of the season finale:

‘The Blacklist’: Amir Arison Leaving NBC Series, Laura Sohn Also Exits – Deadline

I have no idea where they're gonna go next season. But it's clear they still don't want to reveal who Red Reddington really is. I think the producers are terrified that the moment that secret is spilled, nobody will want to continue watching the show. But man, they've kept this boat afloat for a long time...

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  6. George P

George P Notable Member

Next to Reddington, Amir was my favorite character. And Alina :love: will be missed as well.

7. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

So we have got to the end of season 4 a couple of weeks ago. We've put it on hold for a little while to catch up with other stuff. Is it worth carrying on?

Or have we seen "Peak Black" already? Seems to me it's just going on and on and on...

8. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

We've invested the time to watch the entire series from day one, and I sensed they were treading water for the past 4-5 years. Standard problem with police procedurals, even those with the kind of twist this one has.

9. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

In that case we may leave it where it is...:righton:

10. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Doh, the season 9 finale from last night was haaaaaaaarible. And now they're off for 7 months.

11. rjp

rjp Senior Member

and they left you thinking that marvin gerard had one-upped raymond......when all of us who are regulars simply know that it is not true.

how great was spader with his performance at the one on one with gerard?

12. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

It was a decent five minute moment in an otherwise slow, padded convoluted show. The producers did allow actor Amir Arison to wink at the camera a bit and say, "I'm stepping back and taking a leave of absence... maybe I'll take in a Broadway show." And of course, the actor is about to start a big Broadway show in a few weeks.

13. Klavier

Klavier Forum Resident

This show is on life support. Just pull the plug and let it die with what little dignity it has left.

14. digitalasrclone

digitalasrclone New Member

great in wolf

Bhob likes this.
  15. MikaelaArsenault

16. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

Pull the plug...

MikaelaArsenault and shokhead like this.
  17. bem

bem Forum Resident

I gave up on it a long time ago. It was good but it's one of those shows that has a built in shelf life. Have your list, your mysteries and plot everything out for four or five years, then be done.

Vidiot and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  18. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Yep

19. tdavis0903

tdavis0903 Forum Resident

I still really enjoy it and like the article said, with this news maybe they will pull out all the stops not knowing if this the end. Understand those who bailed, but bottom line is James Spader is still fantastic and the supporting characters and actors have always shined too.

As for the time slot, honestly with DVRs and streaming, is any viewer super locked into a day or time slot anymore for favorite shows? Being a school administrator the entire run, I rarely have a Thursday night off while supervising events to watch it live, nor many episodic TV shows. Friday night or the weekend was when I would watch and other than avoiding spoilers online, it was great. Live sports, I want to see when it happens, episode TV, not a big deal.

AndyNicks, Dok, Linger63 and 2 others like this.
  20. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

And don't forget that almost the entire cast departed last year. I think the only two that are left are Spader and Harry Lennix (the FBI boss), and maybe Diego Klattenhoff (the main FBI agent). I guess Red's assistant Hisham Tawfiq ("Denbe"), who by the way is not a native African but actually born in America, might be back. My guess is they'll have 10-12 episodes to finally wrap up the core mystery of who Red Reddington really is, and if he is -- in fact -- Elizabeth Keen's mother in disguise, as has been guessed many times.

For the last 10 years or so, networks and advertisers have changed their way of judging ratings, so they use a thing called "Live+1" or "Live+7" to still count people who watch the show several days later. And there are people who pay to watch streaming shows without commercials, too, or they binge entire seasons in a weekend. Here's an explanation:

TV Ratings in the Streaming Era Explained: Where and How Viewers Watch – The Hollywood Reporter

What's hilarious to me is that it seems like 80% of network shows basically get a "1.0" rating on the day it airs -- meaning there's less than a couple of people actually watching -- but then when you add up the streaming and the DVRs and all that stuff. they can fudge-factor it up to a 2.5 or a 3. Some shows go up radically when you factor in all the alternate viewing methods. Blacklist was a show that racked up viewers that way, so NBC/Universal has kept it on ten years, and they're about to hit 200 episodes. I would've bet you $10,000 back in 2013 that that would never happen. I would've been wrong.

Spader makes the show, and he's a very compelling actor... at least, when the scripts rise up to his level.

21. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

22. 64FALCON

64FALCON Forum Resident

Red Reddington is really Redd Foxx. :D

YOU BIG DUMMIES!

23. MikaelaArsenault

24. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

It was a great show for awhile that did itself in with dragging out the reveal. It will really suck if they never answer that question.

“When all this began, I was such a different person.”

25. MikaelaArsenault