The Bob Dylan 1965 Copyright Extension Set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SolitaryMan, Sep 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HominyRhodes

HominyRhodes Forum Resident

Thanks very much for that -- I just used a cheap electronic keyboard to play along with several of the tracks, adjusting the speed of the CD-R as I went, until they sounded about right. I am always way too lazy to get my acoustic guitar tuned to perfection. You did it the proper way, of course! (For the Cutting Edge recordings, they apparently used a harmonica to adjust the tape speeds whenever possible, which was a good alternative method, I think.)

Archtop likes this.
  2. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

I'm not so sure. If your "cheap electronic keyboard" is digital, I'd be inclined to say that the tuning of any digital device is spot on. I used a tuning fork (remember those?) and my musician's ears. I do have a fairly sensitive ear , but I ain't perfect.

HominyRhodes likes this.
  3. HominyRhodes

HominyRhodes Forum Resident

I really don't know what the reasoning was for the edits on Live 1966, but I'm not sure he was always just stoned -- he may have been exhausted at times, or even ill.

4. Jbeck57143

Jbeck57143 Forum Resident

Maybe they thought the edits made for a better "listening experience". Unfortunately they also give a wrong impression of the first part of the show--they make it sound like he was in a hurry to get through the acoustic half of the show. He may well have felt that way, but the edits make the first disc shorter than the second disc, when the acoustic half was actually longer than the electric half. The edits make the disc sound more like a compilation.

HominyRhodes likes this.
  5. *Zod*

*Zod* Forum Resident

finally had time to go through the tapes and make a rudimentary rating, based on sound quality only. Not saying sources are 100% accurate, but it's what it sounds like to me.

Santa Monica D- AUD

Sheffield B+ SBD

Liverpool A SBD

Leicester A SBD

Birmingham A SBD

Newcastle A- SBD

Royal Albert Hall 5/9 D AUD 5/10 A SBD

BBC B- SBD

Newport A SBD

Queens D- AUD

Hollywood Bowl C+ SBD

Boston D- AUD

Hartford D AUD

Berkeley C+ AUD

6. Mitchum

Mitchum Well-Known Member

Can you elaborate on this Ray?

Did I miss something/Do I have to re-label my Copyright Set?

7. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

Sure, some posted a link on this forum that suggested that the first sets for Sheffield and Newcastle were inadvertently misidentified on the copyright set (using the Sheffield audience tape as the point of reference). Listening to them, I drew the same conclusion, so I re-did all the ID information for them. The second sets are correctly identified.

Mitchum likes this.
  8. Mitchum

Mitchum Well-Known Member

I see... Thank you for this info, I missed it.

So by the First Set for each show, you mean "The Times" through "Mr. Tambourine Man" correct?

So just to be explicitly clear, I just need to swap and re-label those songs from the Sheffield and Newcastle shows?

Thanks again.

9. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

Yup, just as you say.

Mitchum likes this.
  10. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Just now listening to the Queens version of like a Rolling Stone. Funny it sounds like a hotel band.

11. godstar

godstar Well-Known Member

An amazing gift. Incredible concerts. What with the 66 shows, I'm in heaven.

aoxomoxoa and DeeThomaz like this.
  12. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Now we just have to get the 1967 shows.

Oh, wait.

Mooserfan likes this.
  13. Dflow

Dflow Listening in the time of Dylan

Has anyone made artwork for the 1965 shows? I would love to update the artwork for these concerts. The scans for the live 66 box look great in my digital library.

14. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

It's amazing how little has been written here on this forum about the 65 shows considering the attention the 66 box has received.
    I'm just making my way through these myself.

15. is there a physical media product of the 65 shows, or was it just digital?

16. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

Just digital, although some enterprising bootlegger surely pirated it onto CD by now...

17. Gauth

Gauth Forum Resident

Uh, I just stumbled upon this... from Discogs...

- Digital Audio #1: 'Bob Dylan ‎– The Bootleg Series Vol 12: High Res Download'
    “This download is available as part of your purchase with the ***Deluxe Edition Box Set”. Source: bobdylanbox.shop.musictoday. com 24 November 2015. Original purchasers were provided with a choice of high definition download options:
    - The Bootleg Series Vol 12: High Res Download MP3, 320 kbps,
    - The Bootleg Series Vol 12: High Res Download FLAC 16/44.1,
    - The Bootleg Series Vol 12: High Res Download FLAC 24/96.

- Digital Audio #2: 'Bob Dylan's 50th Anniversary Collection: 1965'
    “Special Holiday Gift - Now with over 10 hours of unreleased 1965 live performances: Unreleased 1965 live performances added to Collector's Edition! If you own the 18-CD Bob Dylan's The Cutting Edge 1965-1966: The Bootleg Series Vol. 12 – Collector's Edition, the holidays are coming early for you via a special gift from Columbia Records: 208 tracks encompassing more than ten hours of live Bob Dylan performances from his landmark 1965 tours, including 14 complete concerts – both acoustic and electric - and an array of recordings from television shows, hotel rooms, and other live appearances.” Source: bobdylan.com email 11 December 2015. Original purchasers were again also provided with the same choice of high definition download options:
    - Bob Dylan's 50th Anniversary Collection: 1965 MP3, 320 kbps,
    - Bob Dylan's 50th Anniversary Collection: 1965 FLAC 16/44.1,
    - Bob Dylan's 50th Anniversary Collection: 1965 FLAC 24/96.

.................since when is the 50th Anniversary Collection available in 24/96?

Bob Dylan - The Cutting Edge 1965 – 1966: The Bootleg Series Vol.12: Collector’s Edition

18. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

By extension, when was it ever available in 16/44.1? The only download option I had was MP3.

19. Gauth

Gauth Forum Resident

I'm guessing it must be an error. As much as I'd like to believe it, I find no mention of this anywhere else. But the person who edited the Discogs page must have been reaaaally convinced that the downloads for the copyright set came in the same formats than the downloads for BS12.

HominyRhodes likes this.
  20. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

Yeah. This ^

21. Gauth

Gauth Forum Resident

Just curious, how did the files come "packaged"? I've heard of a download manager, how did it work? You had to download some software from Sony, to then connect to their server and download the files? And what were the files? Just every track individually, or a big ZIP file with everything inside? Any artwork, PDF, etc?

22. owsley

owsley Senior Member

It was one large archive file. There was a PDF of contents. Here are the instructions I got from Sony in an email:

To redeem your download, please follow these instructions:
    1. Click link below
    2. Select desired format
    3. Click "Add To Cart"
    4. Click "Checkout" (The item will now appear at $0.00 in your basket)
    5. Click "Proceed to checkout"
    6. Enter email address and billing address
    7. Click "Submit Order"

LINK: http://yadayadayada

Please click the Download Manager only once, and wait for it to respond.

This download is a very large file, so please be patient and allow the download manager time to launch and to complete your download. You can always relaunch your download if it times out or is interrupted by following the steps listed above. You will be given the option to download the files from the start or resume where you left off

Gauth likes this.
  23. Gauth

Gauth Forum Resident

Thanks, owsley! Now, I'm starting to doubt again about the choice of formats... What if there was really a choice for 24/96 somewhere? Step 2. Select desired format... Either Sony messed up and wrote this step even tho there were no other formats to choose from, or everybody missed the option and got 320kbps MP3 because it was the selected default option.

24. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

I think that whoever wrote up the Discogs listing did not purchase The Cutting Edge CE, and, therefore, did not receive the official download. The 50th Anniversary Collection 1965 was only ever available as an MP3 320 download. There was no FLAC or hi-res option.

Can we please put this confusion to bed before it turns to rumour then Internet ‘fact’?

My original e-mail, received on 4 December 2015:

Subject: Special Holiday Gift For Purchasers Of The Bob Dylan Collector’s Edition

[​IMG]
    Dear Collector,

We hope you are enjoying The Cutting Edge 1965-1966: The Bootleg Series Volume 12: Collector's Edition. Thanks again for your purchase!

The holidays are coming early for you via a special gift from Columbia Records: 208 tracks encompassing more than ten hours of previously unreleased live Bob Dylan performances from his landmark 1965 tours, including 14 complete concerts – both acoustic and electric - and an array of recordings from television shows, hotel rooms, and other live appearances.

These live performances are being offered as a free download (in 320 Kbps MP3 format) exclusively to purchasers of the Collector's Edition.

To redeem your download …

***Please read ALL instructions carefully before proceeding***

These downloads are large files, so please be patient and allow the download manager time to launch and to complete your download. Downloads will work better on high-speed wired connections. If you must cancel your download, or if your connection times-out, you can return to your order and either continue or restart the download process.

You MUST use a desktop or laptop computer to download. Downloads are not available on mobile devices or tablets.

To redeem your download, please follow these instructions:
    1. Click link below
    2. Click "Proceed to checkout"
    3. Enter email address and billing address
    4. Click "Submit Order"

LINK: [removed]

25. Gauth

Gauth Forum Resident

Well, it's hard to put something to bed before the facts are known, but thanks for providing further details. As you can see I was not fortunate enough to buy this set, so the Discogs page got me confused. What's even more confusing is when different people seem to have received different emails with slightly differing terms (see owsley's reply). He says it was one big archive file, but your email seem to indicate there where multiple large files. His email also states there was a choice of format. Things like that usually don't answer anything clearly until everyone agrees on the same accurate information.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.