The Bob Dylan 1965 Copyright Extension Set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SolitaryMan, Sep 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

My post above contains nothing but facts. I bought the CE box set, and received all the official e-mails from Sony. There was no option other than MP3 320 for the 50th Anniversary Collection 1965 bonus download. That is a fact.

If I remember rightly, the files appeared individually in the Download folder on my Mac. I don’t recall them being zipped or anything. I may be wrong on this one detail, but I don’t think so.

Owsley’s e-mail appears to be the one received for the Cutting Edge download, not the 50th Anniversary Collection 1965 bonus download.

Gauth and revolution_vanderbilt like this.
  2. There was no other option than 320 kbps mp3 for the 50th Anniversary Collection 1965 download.

bobcat, Gauth and stepeanut like this.
  3. Gauth

Gauth Forum Resident

That seems very likely, I also think it must have been the email for the Cutting Edge download or something. Regarding the zipped or not zipped files, IIRC, when I had a Mac, things downloaded from Safari usually got extracted automatically after finishing. That would explain it. Anyway thanks for clarifying.

P.S.: I'm still interested in knowing the original delivery format of the files (zipped/not zipped/single file/multiple files) if anyone could confirm 100%, or provide a directory listing/MD5 would be appreciated.

4. stepeanut

Again, this is not “very likely”. It is a fact. I checked the e-mails.

Not having a go at you here, but it boggles the mind that the facts of these downloads are being called into question less than two years after their release. Small wonder that Sony messed up tracks between certain concerts after 50 years.

5. Gauth

Gauth Forum Resident

Well, you did say "appears to be" which to me was not to be taken as "it is 100% the email Sony sent for the Cutting Edge"... I was only saying that I thought it was the best answer. No worries, we're on the same side. Sorry, I'm french so subtileties like that aren't always obvious to me.

6. stepeanut

See my post, dated 4 December 2015, on the first page of this thread:

This addresses both the file format (MP3) and, to a small degree, the download method. Tracks came in individually, not en masse.

7. owsley

owsley Senior Member

I don't remember there being a format option with the Live material downloads. If I remember correctly, I received a similar email from Sony to download the high-res versions of the box set material and if I recall there were different format options for those downloads

8. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Why would it matter? Most of the tracks were a bit dodgy in quality anyway

9. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

There were some audience tapes in there, but also a great many soundboards from the '65 UK tour that sound just fine.

Lewisboogie, WonkyWilly and DeeThomaz like this.
  10. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

I'm very much enjoying the Bushnell Memorial audience recording. Well done to that taper.

Just curious though - how come some of the songs from this gig are only 20 second excerpts? Damaged tape? Cutting out excess or potentially identifying conversations (love the guy singing along to 'Tombstone Blues')?

11. stepeanut

More likely the taper had limited tape available, and chose to edit his recording on the fly, including only snippets of songs he wasn’t as keen on.

12. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Listened to the Acoustic "Tombstone Blues" today. This is the gem of the set for sure

DeeThomaz and Richard--W like this.
  13. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

May 5 Birmingham runs slower than the other English shows. It sounds exactly right. I wonder if the other English tapes aren't too fast.

14. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

Listening to It Ain't Me Babe from 10/30/65 Hartford - this is easily my favorite arrangement of the song. Do we have any better recordings of this arrangement other than the December SF and San Jose shows? I know there is a soundboard a month earlier at Hollywood Bowl but that's more in line with the album version. A shame this wasn't performed this way in 1966

Richard--W likes this.
  15. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Considering the quality of the tapes I cant imagine much appeal after a listen or two. Its unfortunate that more doesnt exist in better quality as Bob was in great form. Kind of a jumping off point for him as voice of a generation into full blown surrealistic poet.

But yeah, there just isnt much here to be tolerated even by the most seasoned bootear.

I can certainly see now why they wouldnt put the '65 tour in a big multi-disc box set. Wish it werent so because I enjoy these performances more so now. Bob just seemed a bit less distracted and less full of himself in '65. At least on stage anyway. He almost seems bored at times in '66.

16. o_O Seriously? Some of these shows are in excellent quality and the performances are superb.

17. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Yeah, a few. Enough for a boxset? Nah.

18. Richard--W

Come off it.
    All the U.K. concerts recorded by Alderson / the film crew sound very good to excellent.
    The three Columbia recordings are excellent professional recordings.
    Newport 1965 is in outstanding quality.
    The PA tape from Hollywood Bowl has over-modulation problems but not enough to spoil it.

That's right.
    All the performances are superb. There's isn't a bad concert performance the entire year. I prefer the 1965 concerts over the 1966. In fact the 1965 concerts are my favorite listening -- of anyone or any music, Dylan '65 is where it's at, so far as I'm concerned.

Lonson likes this.
  19. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

really? I think the 1966 shows are bob at his most committed/into it.

Richard--W likes this.
  20. Richard--W

he's referring to 1965, not 1966.

He's too doped and hyper on the 1966 tour. I love those performances, too, but I prefer the calm confident energy of the 1965 tour. It has a kind of innocence, a sense of newness and exploration.

IronWaffle and mpayan like this.
  21. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Listening to these, is it Joan thats the female talking at times from the audience?

My favorite so far to revisit is the "Dont Think Twice.." from one of the UK performances. He really gets joyful with the harmonica lol. And I dont mean that as a slight, the harmonics are overlaying all over the place. Kind of ends the song with a dribble but up to the end its pretty amazing.

I wonder if Dylan was more on for the UK shows as far as knowing he needed to be serious when serious was needed. Seems more focused on the words and not playing the Charlie Chaplin/MarkTwain/Woody Guthrie thing so much. As unidentifiable as Dylan can be as a person at times, it seems he was finding himself more assured of his purposes in the UK.

Any thoughts on Dylans growth during this time?

I can hear him slightly experimenting vocally at times with his phrasing and also coming more off the throat than nasal as the tour goes on.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
  22. Richard--W

It's not Joan.

Alan Ginsberg observed that Dylan's voice had found its breadth, or words to that effect.
    Meaning that he could sing a torrent of words as if it were natural speech. The U.K. tour was
    essentially the Bringing It All Back Home tour. The songs were in their moment, and Dylan was
    in the moment of the songs, when they were real and true for him. Dylan has said he didn't want
    to do the tour, but when he stood in front of the audience, his artistic integrity asserted itself,
    and he gave them their money's worth. Detractors complain the songs are sung in an indifferent
    monotone. Don't believe it. They must not be listening. Dylan found the right rhythm and
    emphasis, and his voice is full of nuance and emotion. Each night is an historic performance,
    because such songs had not been written before nor delivered with such easy confidence by a
    character such as Dylan to an audiences that were keen and receptive.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
  23. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Do we know who it is? Or just a random audience member close to the taper (which would be very cool imo)

24. Richard--W

Who knows. It doesn't matter. It's so far from the point.
    Which part of which show in particular bothers you?

25. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

What are you talking about?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.