The Bob Dylan 1965 Copyright Extension Set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SolitaryMan, Sep 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

What am I talking about? what are you talking about?
    At which concert do you think you hear Joan in the audience,
    as per your post #121 above?
    and where does she come in?

2. Dan33185

Dan33185 Dylan/Cohen/Adams/T. Buckley/Holly

You know, I think you might be right. Listening to It's All Over Now, Baby Blue (Live at the Santa Monica Civic Auditorium, Santa Monica, California - March 27, 1965), you can hear a female say "do you wanna come backstage afterwards?",then another female responds "I'd be scared", the first female responds back "you'd be scared? Are you kidding?"

Sure sounds like Joan, and it makes sense as she'd have access to backstage like that after the show.

3. masswriter

masswriter Minister At Large

I can't believe I missed this set... is it available for purchase?

4. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

Nope. These Copyright Extension sets were very limited releases, not really intended for sales, just for copyright protection.
    The files are out there...

Oops - the 1965 edition was a free download for purchasers of the 18cd Cutting Edge.
    The files are out there...

5. signothetimes53

signothetimes53 Senior Member

They are...but apparently Sony no longer supports the free download for purchasers of the 18cd Cutting Edge. I never did get around to downloading them 3 years ago, but a recent attempt to use my code to get them resulted in an error/not found message. :(

6. I believe the downloads still circulate in the illegal download arena.

ted321 and George P like this.
  7. signothetimes53

signothetimes53 Senior Member

I'm sure they do...but since I was a purchaser of one of the big blue Uber boxes, I was given a legal download code by Sony to go get the '65 shows. It's my own fault I didn't do it promptly, but it was still disappointing to see that Sony no longer supported the '65 live downloads.

8. KarlFarbman

KarlFarbman Forum Resident

Ouch. Were those MP3 or FLAC downloads?

9. appearcomposed

appearcomposed Forum Resident

If I remember correctly, this is the set they only offered in chopped up MP3 form, unfortunately.

10. KarlFarbman

KarlFarbman Forum Resident

What do you mean by "chopped up"?

11. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

All between-song banter was cut out resulting in fades between every song.

appearcomposed likes this.
  12. masswriter

masswriter Minister At Large

phenomenal . . . . we Dylan fans are so lucky. I will never lose sight of that!

The Bard likes this.
  13. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

I was re-visiting the September 3, 1965 Hollywood Bowl recently. Forgot how much fun that show was. Anyway, it got me thinking about the visuals and I realized I haven't seen any photos from the Hollywood Bowl show. Thought the old Daniel Kramer book had some, but that was all NY and Forest Hills.

Anyone got any, or any links? Either they are rare or I'm not any good at internet searches...?

Last edited: May 4, 2020
  14. fluffskul

fluffskul Would rather be at a concert

I never did digest all this when it was new, because I was a little Dylan-ed out after the 18 discs of Cutting Edge...

Listening to Forest Hills show (8/28/65) for first time... the quality is very poor. But as someone who traded audience tapes back in the day... I can deal. What blows my mind the most is this audience had never heard Desolation Row. I can't even fathom hearing Desolation Row for the first time in this setting.. what gets me is how the audience as a whole laughs so much. And they aren't wrong... some of the lines are quite silly. However, by the final verse, there is no more laughing. It seems they thought the song as more in line with "Bob Dylan's 115th dream" kind of joke song. As the song moves on, the audience seems to realize that what they are hearing is actually quite profound... Fantastic.

Now onto the electric set... hopefully I can hear the drums over the audience's grumblings.

Percy Song, The Bard, Dflow and 2 others like this.
  15. The Bard

The Bard Highway 61 Revisited. That is all.

The 1965 acoustic/electric concerts are maybe the least well preserved in the whole of Bob's journey. We are fortunate that there is just enough around to preserve great moments such as the one you mention.
    It blows my mind to think of hearing Desolation Row like that .... Hearing MMF last year was wild enough :)

fluffskul and matt79rome89 like this.
  16. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client

Good point! There were similar audience reactions to "Visions of Johnna" when it was first unleashed on stage in December 1965. Live audiences around the world listened to that unreleased song for five months and then waited another month or more before it appeared on a record. Surely that would never happen these days? Maybe it does...

fluffskul likes this.
  17. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

Not with Dylan it doesn't. I think the last time he performed a song before its release is the 78 tour. In 1974 he played 'Cept You a few times.

Oh I forgot he played a few of the gospel tunes before they were released in 79.

Percy Song likes this.
  18. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

Actually the spring tour of England is well-preserved. The master
    tapes are quite good. It's just that they've never been properly
    mixed and mastered for release. The official download are just
    raw tapes, cut and trimmed with indifference into mp3's. Sounds
    much worse than it really is. Several tracks were given a clean-up
    for this CD and you can really hear the difference:

[​IMG]

19. The Bard

The Bard Highway 61 Revisited. That is all.

Love those concerts and that "Rare Performances" release may be the most understated release of great music ever!

I was referring to the acoustic/electric concerts that happened later in the year, back in the USA ... when he's on the cusp of something astonishing.
    Hollywood Bowl is quite well preserved if I remember right, alongside those recent Ginsberg tapes.

Richard--W likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.