The Bobby Whitlock - Derek And The Dominos Thread*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by happytobealive, Sep 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maxnix

maxnix Forum Resident

incredible thread . .

breathes new life into D&D for me, I can't wait to get home and start listening again . . thanks CC and Bobby for the generous time spent.

(I'm reading this at my office in Chicago with four people reading over my shoulder!)

2. ozbeat

ozbeat New Member

Hi Bobby and CC

In Clapton's bio he recounts how he bought a left handed Stratocaster that he planned to give to Hendrix at a sly and the family stone concert. Hendrix didnt show and Eric found out that he had passed away the next day. I dont know if you guys had finished recording the album yet, but i was just wondering whether Eric reminsced or talked about Jimi to you guys during this time?

3. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

Thank You Bobby Whitlock.:wave:
    Loved your work since 1970.
    Still a big part of my life
    :righton::thumbsup::righton:

4. darkmatter

darkmatter Gort Astronomer Staff

I'm in total agreement Frank, and awe of it as it is one of my all time favorite albums, perhaps this one qualifies as a sticky?

Simon :)

caravan70 likes this.
  5. kentb47

kentb47 Forum Resident

Hey CC, my family is all from Pontotoc county in Mississippi. I just read recently that Delaney Bramlett was from 'Pontotoc county.'

Would you mind asking Bobby if he remembers exactly what town (or community, that's REALLY rural county) Delaney grew up in?

My relatives would almost certainly know his family (Terry Manning's wife's family lives on the same road lots of my family does, for instance).

6. TheLoneliestMonk

TheLoneliestMonk Forum Resident

Derek & The Dominoes – Layla & Other Love Songs was a bible for me growing up. It was the single most influential album of my young life…the soundtrack of my youth. I remember the day a friend sat me down, taught me bar chords and lead scales and played Jimi Hendrix and Derek & The Dominoes for me for the first time. It was the day that changed my life forever.

I am in agreement with those that have stated that Derek & The Dominoes is a masterpiece. Layla & Other Love Songs is a testament to the magic of chemistry because nothing Clapton has done since has had the passion of that recording. I believe what occurred on that recording is a direct result of what the other musicians present brought to the table. Clapton was a huge influence on my playing style, but there is no question that it has been decades since he harnessed the fire which he displayed on that recording, or during that particular time period. Over time, as I’ve become more familiar with that recording, I have come to realize that a great deal of the guitar playing that I always assumed was Clapton was actually Duane Allman soaring on that Les Paul of his. In fact if I am not mistaken (to the person who mentioned it) it is Duane not Eric playing those searing lead breaks on ‘Why Does Love Got To Be So Sad?’

I have always been impressed with Bobby’s contribution…there is no question that the music on Layla would not have hit the level it did emotionally without his participation, everyone singing and playing as if his very lives depended on it. In fact I feel that it is this sense of urgency and heightened emotion which sets that recording apart from the rest. There is so much angst and desire communicated in those songs, and Bobby’s voice…one of a kind.

I really love the live album as well, as Clapton and the entire band were at the top of there game, but I also sense an enormous hole where Duane once resided. There was nothing to be done in that regard for there is only one Duane Allman…it is a wonderful album just the same. As to Neal Schon he is a fine player but he certainly would not have been right for Derek & The Dominoes.

My story regarding Thorn Tree In The Garden involves a friend who I turned on to that album; we were both particularly taken with that song. So we wound up with this little ritual where we would lay on the floor listening to that song repeatedly and dreaming about girls, real or imagined, as they crossed our paths or imaginations.

As it happens it is a good time for me to be reflecting on this album. It is an album that has seen me through difficult times on more than a few occasions, and it appears to be poised to see me through a difficult time once again.

I am not making it up when I tell you that I have actually said on many occasions that I wish that I could come down with a temporary case of amnesia so that I could listen to Derek & The Dominoes – Layla & Other Love Songs for the first time again. Well thanks to your having shared all of these wonderful anecdotes and insights with us you have made this wish possible. For this and for bringing such timeless music into this God forsaken world I thank you from the bottom of my heart. It is that it is that good…unquestionably!

That music exec knucklehead doesn’t know what the hell he’s talking about.

caravan70 likes this.
  7. mrbillswildride

mrbillswildride Internet Asylum Escapee 2010, 2012, 2014

Yeah, that's always been a top fave, indeed, I LOVE ALL of Layla but if I had to rank my faves songs on it would go something like this:

Why Does Love Got To Be So Sad?
    Keep On Growing
    Thorn Tree in the Garden
    Anyday
    I Looked Away
    I Am Yours
    Layla
    Bell Bottom Blues
    Tell The Truth
    Have You Ever Loved A Woman?

(Hey the song titles kind of tell a story in that order...);)

God, just writing those down reminds me what a total stone-cold classic this one is thru and thru, one for the ages...from the Gold Age of Classic Rock.

I gotta go put it on for a little while...:D

Thanks again Coco and Bobby. :righton:

:cheers:

8. Add me to the list of folks who are enjoying this excellent discussion. I, too, was 14 when EC's first and Layla came out. My best friend bought the Clapton album, and I bought Layla with money that I got for Christmas. I also got my first guitar for Christmas that year, a very cheap acoustic. Clapton was already a favorite of mine from his days in Cream, and I loved Duane's slide playing. When I first played the album, though, I was hooked as soon as I heard Eric and Bobby singing on I Looked Away. I still love the beautiful guitar solo in Bell Bottom Blues, as well as Jim Gordon's drumming. Who's idea was that 'reverse' beat on BBB, that is, the snare on one and three, and the kick on two and four? Did Jim (or Eric, or you, Bobby) come up with that beat from the start, or was it an accident that sounded good and was left in? Many thanks to you both for joining us here.

9. happytobealive

happytobealive New Member Thread Starter

God ...we are in tears..

10. happytobealive

Ravi shakars percussionist had given Jim a set of tablas...and he had that in mind to have that in the song . It was Jim's idea totally. The drum part was really based around the percussion part . Jim Gordon genius.
    Thank you too ...

11. happytobealive

Pontotoc...thats it ..your probably are kin to them , all those folks down there are cousins..they are all either Bramlett's or Presley's.
    The home is no longer there .
    Well there is the Bramlett cemetary where Delaney's dad is buried . Delaney went to Pontotoc High .
    Bobby's family was from about a stones throw away ,a place thats "South of Hell creek , North of "Damnation Creek"...called Punkin center ...more like purgatory.

12. happytobealive

WOW !! Fantastic... Thank you .

13. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

Bobby/CC: I hope we don't burn you out with all of our questions and observations! It is truly a treat and honor for us to be in virtual touch with someone who has been in the soundtrack of our lives and spirits. We all love music and are in tune with it's power. (So in tune in fact, that we want it to sound Just Exactly Perfect!) So, another thank you from me!
    Looking into getting the new CD from you guys.

14. peter

peter Senior Member

CC, I can only add that Bobby is a genius (overused word, I know, but I couldn't think of another). I too remember the first time I played the Layla album back to back. When Thorn Tree Came on it was like the record was starting over. No other song on that album could have followed the title track. Thorn Tree is perfect. I am glad you are here. Bobby too.

15. happytobealive

3)Delaney and Leon go way back old school (Bobby Keys has a history, too). How did you come to Delaney's attention and sign on?

Duck Dunn brought Delaney and Bonnie to hear me at a club in Memphis called "The Cabaret" ...they asked me that night if I wanted to put a band together with them and move to California ( on a Wednesday) I said Yes and I was gone Saturday . INto the unknown , and I slept on their couch in Hawthorne . Bonnie was nine months pregnant ..with Bekka . And it was just Bonnie , Delaney and me singing . We were going out and singing just like CoCo and me . Next thing you know we were putting the band together and it consisted of : Jimmy Karstein , Carl Radle, Leon Russell, I was playing the organ , J.J. Cale was our guitar player..and Bobby Keyes was the Sax player , and Joel Porter on Trumpet for a short time , then Bobby got Jim Price. (He stayed )

4)The D&B lps have yourself and Carl and Jim. Is this where you met them? You guys have a lot of mileage together.
    Yes ...the drummer sequence started out with J. Karstein , Keltner then Jim Gordon .
    It would alternate between Keltner and Gordon, and Carl was going back and forth to Gary Lewis and the Playboys. But Carl was always there.

5)A few months back, a thread showed a proposed UK Apple B&D disc. (I'm inept, but here's the thread, see #8 http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/sh...ghlight=rarest) It would appear that the Friends had already come to George's attention.
    Yeah ...that was by way of Allen Pariser (Manager of D&B also financier ) They were interested , but Delaney was dealing with Electra Asylym ...caught up in the Hollywood Scene , Apple wanted to put them on their label but it never materialized .

6)Eric, George (and Dave Mason?) touring with B&D
    Yeah...that was awesome, we had the most incredible band on the planet ...not including Delaneys rythym ...we had Eric , George and Dave .
    Jim Gordon and Jim Keltner on drums , a percussionist named Tex Johnson , Bobby Keyes , Jim Price , Leon Russell , Rita Coolidge , Delaney Bonnie and me. And that band moved fixed stages , in auditoriums...it literally did.

16. happytobealive

Thank you so much ...makes us feel really good to be able to do something .
    I think Bobby is genius , and perfect . Difficult to make anybody else believe it ...but I am biased .
    CC/CoCo

All Down The Line likes this.
  17. Tin Whisker

Tin Whisker Forum Resident

Sorry, didn't mean to freak anyone out with the "wow" post. It's just rare we have someone with such beauty grace our humble forum. And, CC you're pretty too. :D

OK, little joke there. But, seriously....

It's funny how as you get older your taste in music changes. About 15 years ago I had a copy of "Layla & Other Assorted Love Songs" and really didn't care for it too much. Then, about a year ago I picked up the SACD version and I totally loved it!

This is now one of those rare titles that I can listen to every song and thoroughly enjoy the whole experience.

I know you've received many thank-yous on this thread already, but, it is such a joy hear from the actual artists.

18. mrbillswildride

mrbillswildride Internet Asylum Escapee 2010, 2012, 2014

Listening to the SACD now... It's grand, right up there with the MFSL Cd...

(Like that avatar wouldn't scar(e) anyone...:eek::shake:;))

:cheers:

19. Tin Whisker

Tin Whisker Forum Resident

Hey, that's classic Twilight Zone, c'mon now. :D

That's the episode that The Shat was in. (Love it)

20. happytobealive

Thank you so much, we hope that you enjoy the CD...much like the Layla record , it invloves a 4 year journey to the final result and plenty of stories to go along with it . Not to mention some fine fine musicians. Eric Johnson , David Grissom and Stephen Bruton on guitars.
    Brannen Temple on Drums
    James Fenner on percussion

and Willie Nelson guesting on two songs .
    CC

21. bw

bw Forum Resident

Great thread.

Bobby and CC, thanks for sharing.

A question for Bobby. Do you have a favorite version of the Layla album? 20th anniversary? SACD? Mofi? Original LP?

Thanks,
    Brian

22. Big Al

Big Al Active Member

COOL!!!! If my memory serves me correctly, his brother runs a record store in Ft. Worth. Reminds me I need to go in there again.

23. Hawkman

Hawkman Supercar Gort Staff

Coco & Bobby, I am curious...I've noticed a number of responses by you that make me think that there are people who aren't exactly making you guys feel as if you are worth anything. Outside of that music industry *******, and without getting into your personal business, if that IS the case, I hope that you good folks know by these posts that that is certainly NOT the case.

ANYONE who knows music, and knows it fairly well, knows the name of Bobby Whitlock and respects it.

Geez..even if Bobby was just a guy in a garage band that no one knew out of his hometown I would have been a LOT more respectful than that ******* guy.

Looking forward to the new cd when it arrives. I'm SURE that I will like it. :righton:

24. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

25. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

It's possible there's more not on the (audio) copy I have, but the final intro is:

"Hey if you detect some country blues pickin', in the song you're about to hear, you're right. Played by one of the finest musical groups in the world. Welcome Bobby Whitlock, Jim Gordon, Carl Radle and Eric Clapton - DEREK AND THE DOMINOS!"

Also, the "who's on speed?" bit was before the final take of Matchbox. Again, assuming my copy is complete, the whole show was:

It's Too Late (with Johnny talking over the intro - used on TV)
    Got To Get Better In A Little While (killer performance)
    (Johnny talking to Eric, Carl Perkins intro)
    Matchbox
    Matchbox jam
    (Johnny asking if they have to do the dialogue again, "who's on speed?")
    Matchbox (used on TV)
    Blues Power

CC, feel free to PM me if you want more details.

I think Bill told me years ago only the late shows were recorded, but I think he was going to try and find out again. There is stereo soundboard audio of another show, *apparently* at the Fillmore (Bill Graham introduction), but it is unclear when/where that was. I'm only aware of 4 songs from that (Got To Get Better In A Little While, Why Does Love Got To Be So Sad?, Presence Of The Lord and Little Wing), but IIRC, either Presence or Little Wing is actually from one of the late shows - I think Presence. I'd have to go back and compare again. The other 3 songs are *not* from either of the late shows, however.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.