The Bobby Whitlock - Derek And The Dominos Thread*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by happytobealive, Sep 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hawkman

Hawkman Supercar Gort Staff

Any chance of a book signing tour?

2. Mark

Mark I Am Gort, Hear Me Roar Staff

Just to reiterate what I posted long back in this thread, I was able ,with Coco and Bobby's help, to obtain a final proofs copy of Bobby's book a few months ago. It's a terrific read. I highly recommend it. It's worth the wait.

3. buckeye1010

buckeye1010 Zephead Buckeye

Just placed my order at Amazon. Can't wait! Thanks for being a part of this board, Bobby - it's been thrilling! Merry Christmas to you and your loved ones!

4. peter

peter Senior Member

Yes, I am thrilled to have this book to look forward too. I recenlty also found a minty US black label ABC copy of Raw Velvet. If that isn't an album that is crying out for a cd re-issue I don't know what is.

5. happytobealive

happytobealive New Member Thread Starter

Thank you all...the book went into print just before Christmas it was such a surprise to us when it arrived on the 23rd. The official release date is April 2011 and will be in the stores then, you can purchase the book straight from McFarland Publishers. The April date is coinciding of course with the 40th Anniversary of Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs. Bobby will appear at various places to sign books , I will post them here for you . Atlanta, Colorado , New York and Texas so far , no dates yet. Thank you , CoCo

6. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

Sounds like a possible opportunity for AF? Hint, hint......

7. Ordered from the publisher last week, came in the mail Monday. I'm about half way through...great read! Thanks Bobby for the music and now for all the great stories.

8. maxnix

maxnix Forum Resident

. . and Chicago?? Please please please, dinner's on me!

9. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

I will give a shout out for Changing Hands Book Store and Hoodlum's Music in Tempe, AZ as they have co-hosted a number of book signings by music artist over the years.

10. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

here's the whole set although this isn't new info.

It's Too Late
    Got To Get Better In A Little While
    Matchbox take 1 w/ cash & carl perkins
    Matchbox take 2 " "
    Matchbox take 3 " "
    Blues Power

11. PageLesPaul

PageLesPaul To be a rock and not to roll...

Checked my order status on Amazon for Bobby's book today and the status is "shipping soon"!

12. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Matchbox "take 2" was a jam, rather than a proper take, FYI.

13. peter

peter Senior Member

Add San Francisco to this list. The Books, Inc. store on Chestnut Street has lots of great authors doing signings. I have yet to go to one, but would not miss Bobby there. Then, my wife would cook you a meal you would never forget.

So glad you are here Bobby.

14. janschfan

janschfan Senior Member

Bobby & CoCo, we'd love to have you do a signing back here in Nashville!

15. happytobealive

happytobealive New Member Thread Starter

All book signing suggestions are welcome, thanks for mentioning the ones here , we will look into them.

16. jacksondownunda

jacksondownunda Forum Resident

As usual (I run into this repeatedly), it's not yet listed and possibly not to be carried by the local bookstores I've asked. Amazon's the go in some countries.

17. jacksondownunda

Any updates on this yet? Has it hit any shelves, or any rumoured shipping date?
    One review called it a 'must have' and commended BW on his great memory (he had a killer life story....and 60 people reading over his shoulder with his best interests at heart, so it wan't gonna fail).

I'm really looking forward to seeing how this polished up, and have notified the usual suspects of it's impending arrival.

18. JA Fant

JA Fant Well-Known Member

19. seacliffe301

seacliffe301 Forum Resident

Got mine the other day. (Great read so far). It took about 2 weeks to receive.

20. jacksondownunda

Jeez, I finally got mine from England! (There was an 'available from' date of 15 Feb stated so I thought it was a later publish date than the USA, but apparently they were just waiting for the slow boat to arrive.)

It looks really good, BW. I've only just flipped a couple pages and seen stuff I don't recall in the thread. The many pics spread throughout the pages are a really good idea too; this really fleshes out some of the stories we only saw in print (1pic=1000words).

I hope it sells well (the reviews have all been good, so I hope the music heads notice it on the shelves).

And if anyone here doesn't know, 'the Steve Hoffman Music Forum' appears in the first line of the book.

Congratulations again, BW.

21. PageLesPaul

PageLesPaul To be a rock and not to roll...

According to Bobby, on his Facebook page, the book has already sold out two editions and the publisher is currently printing a third edition.

22. stratavox

stratavox New Member

Ordered mine from Amazon Sunday afternoon, and got it Tuesday. Bobby, just glancing through it, I can't wait to get really into it. And the "Full Circle" chapter- my faith in the business side of some people and musicians has been strengthened. God bless- be well- how about some more new tunes?

23. maxnix

maxnix Forum Resident

All the Amazon reviews are overwhelmingly positive (no surprise there) . . can't wait to sit down with my copy.

24. jacksondownunda

I must confess that I'm surprised by lack of feedback here so far. I'm not done with it yet (lots goin' on here), but if anyone's sitting on the fence thinkin' 'I read the thread so why buy the book?', the book's definitely much better with far more detail, mostly re-written, oodles more stories and very cohesively written (it doesn't 'spawl'; in fact I've found a couple minor points from the thread edited out of the book). Terrific early childhood chapters, probably the best picture of the 'plantation' house/commune you'll ever read anywhere, etc etc. The days of BW in Ireland were a real eye-opener too (artists disappear in the home country and take up residency elsewhere and become household names there; we get that quite a bit in Australia).
    A great read, with BW's personality always at the forefront in good times and bad.

25. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

I have the book, and it looks great. Have to find time to read it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.