"The bottom just dropped out of the market for music catalog"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by kwadguy, Sep 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrbillswildride

mrbillswildride Internet Asylum Escapee 2010, 2012, 2014

[​IMG]
    Like I said, still plenty of records around to spin, drop, and play with as the bottom end goes out...:righton:

2. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Not of this world

I did the same thing....40 years ago ! :D

Back when better sound reproduction cost a lot more on the scale of things...and when a young kid...I did the best I could. It's a lot less expensive nowadays for good sound, and I don't buy the excuse of it being out of the price range of an ordinary music listener to have to fall back on....'only listening to you tube videos'. Oh well...gotta save that moolah for more hipster clothes. :)

3. milankey

milankey Forum Resident

Thats how I got some of my Beatles albums. They were mono, but I didn't mind.

BradOlson and PhilBiker like this.
  4. 8tracks

8tracks Forum Addict

It always fascinated me how a lot of albums with a radio hit that were not big sellers by bands likes of 10cc, Angel, Orion the Hunter, etc. were deleted just a few years after the initial release, but the CD reissue has been available for 20+ years.

Malina, Jimmy Agates and PhilBiker like this.
  5. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

You can even download RealPlayer and download the videos right off of YouTube's website.

6. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

The Amazing Rhythm Aces' catalog remained in the Collector's Choice in print catalog until CCM got bought out and then, Stacked Deck and Too Stuffed To Jump got remastered by Vic Anesini, reissued by Real Gone Music recently. These 2 albums had charted radio hits, but the albums were not hugely successful.

7. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

CCM's Gordon Anderson went on to form Real Gone Music with Gabby Castellana. Who bought out CCM? I thought they just folded and cease to exist after Deep Discount started blowing out their catalog a couple years ago.

8. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

The numbers that I've heard suggest the first week sales of established artists on a new album has gone from 35 percent of total sales (the number from a few years ago) to almost 80 percent, with very few exceptions

Cousin It likes this.
  9. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member Thread Starter

Sounds about in line with what the record company guy was telling me (OP).

10. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

I meant to address this question to BradOlson as to who bought out CCM. If anyone else knows feel free to comment.

11. kwadguy

CCM came with SuperD's purchase of Collector's Choice/DeepDiscount/etc.

They paid a little lip service to keeping it as an ongoing operation when they made the purchase, but laid off the remaining staff pretty shortly afterward and blew out most of the remaining warehouse stock.

Platterpus likes this.
  12. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

Thanks for the info. I really liked CCM a lot and was disappointed in seeing them go away. They put out a lot of good titles.

13. ATSMUSIC

ATSMUSIC Senior Member

To those who don't think millions of people steal music, download mp3s for free and all that. Where have you been?

Jimmy Agates likes this.
  14. krlpuretone

The parent company of Deep Discount (Super D Distribution) bought out Collector's Choice and their distribution company.

Super D also retails online as ImportCD.com, Rarewaves and a variety of other names.

Super D also bought out the biggest independent one-stop (Alliance Entertainment) earlier this week.

Ethically, I think it's pretty much **** for Super D to be competing with the same stores that they wholesale to and also to undercut their own wholesale prices online with retail. Brave new world, indeed.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2013
    Platterpus likes this.
  15. kwadguy

Retail stores that are affiliated with a one stop is a pretty old story. Yes, it makes it hard to compete on price alone.

But Amazon is big enough that they cut out the one stop altogether for most domestic product, which means you also can't compete with Amazon on price alone--unless you're big enough to cut out the one stop and deal directly with the labels (they won't deal directly with you unless your volume is very big).

Basically--and this has been true for many many years--if you're a small store, you are at a price disadvantage with the big guys.

16. krlpuretone

Oh yeah, I know that it's a dirty business, but they are pretty much the only game in the country now. Most all of the old mom and pop local/regional one stops are long gone, as are most of the big national one-stops that have all swallowed each other up over the past 10-15 years.

To be running a huge retail operation under the same roof, and undercutting their own wholesale prices online is a different story.

When a customer of mine can order a CD from ImportCDs.com and pay less than I do wholesale from the same company, shipping from the same warehouse, that's a whole new level of ****ed.

Amazon, as far as music sales, is gradually heading towards the fulfillment and digital model, because then they aren't tying up warehouse space and cash on what is essentially a low-margin business.

PhantomStranger likes this.
  17. kwadguy

Yeah, I agree that some of the aggressive prices that SuperD offers under their several retail hats are pretty annoying--and yes, sometimes they break any wholesale levels you can possibly get buying from a one-stop, including SuperD.

It's also worth mentioning that SuperD is the largest import distributor in the US. And, in fact, if you buy imports from Amazon.com or BestBuy or whatever, there's a decent chance they'll be drop shipped directly from SuperD.

18. Clark V Kauffman

Clark V Kauffman Forum Resident

I wonder what drives the current lack of sustained consumer interest in albums? It used to be that a mega-hit album would stay in the top 20 for a year or more. I recall "Born In The USA" coming out in June 1984 and still selling in blockbuster numbers through December 1985 -- a full 18 months later! Of course, it had the benefit of having seven strong singles in successive radio rotation...

I can also remember when a movie like "Jaws" played at my local, first-run theater for a year. These days, a movie's fate is decided in the first weekend.

Are movies and records and other popular culture artifacts now regarded as disposable? Why the vastly reduced shelf life?

19. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

Actually last year the music industry showed the first increase in year to year sales since year 2000, despite declining CD sales, attributable to increasing digital download etc revenue. Of course it leveled off at about 50% of the 90s peak but my guess is that the biz can exist for awhile via streaming, downloads etc. Maximizing related merchandizing also pads the totals. Just as importantly, the costs are coming down fast as well.

I don't see any plausible mechanism by which the recent peak era will return so we and the artists will have to adjust as best as we can. Fortunately, nothing is really lost anymore as happened in the past. If you want to find something it will be out there somewhere.

20. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

The internet and 900 satellite channels happened. Too much information out there coming at you now.

Jimmy Agates likes this.
  21. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

They do stand apart because their sales figures are so low that they have little room to go down. Do you realize that classical sales account for about 3% of the music biz catalog and jazz is even lower? However classical performances at least have been increasing sales via downloads and are about 10% of the market there. That's the only reason the orchestras and artists have been able to survive even at a reduced level with recordings. Attendance at concerts has stabilized as well at least for the time being.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2013
    SteelyTom likes this.
  22. Bruno Republic

Bruno Republic Forum Resident

In the case of film, it's not (only) that culture has become more disposable, but that people have a lot more choice on how and when they can view movies. When Jaws came out, there was no such thing as home theatre. The only way to see movies was in theatres or possibly broadcast much later on TV. So, if you had any interest in a given film at all, you had to go out to see it. Once movie rentals (and now Netflix and streaming services) got established, people had the option of waiting longer to see it at home, for a lot less money.

What it has now come down to is that people see the trailers and pretty much decide right then and there if it's a must-see in which case they go to the theatre. Any lower level of interest and they will likely wait to see it at home.

23. Clark V Kauffman

Clark V Kauffman Forum Resident

Good point. No need for extended runs in theaters, or return engagements of big blockbusters.

nbakid2000 likes this.
  24. bilgewater

bilgewater Forum Resident

Ooo, that's interesting. Do you have a link for a source on these numbers?

I recall five years ago seeing these numbers bandied about (3% of music sales for classical; 2% for jazz), but that's an aeon in our new digital age: since then sold digital downloads have risen (correct?) and more folks are acclimated to buying mp3 or lossless files (perhaps). I wonder if perhaps the older listeners who like physical media (and are perhaps more likely to purchase jazz and classical music) are driving up the %s for classical and jazz? And perhaps the audiences for these idioms are more persnickety about sound quality (I know I am) than the general audience for popular music (which I also consume in heavy quantities). I'd LOVE to see some statistics on this. I teach this stuff to university students (jazz, especially) and worry that 5 year old data is obsolete. Thanks for any help!

25. They're too distracted by the latest flavor of the month. This reminds me more of the 50's and the singles market. Hot this week, cold the next.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.