“The Boys” from Eric Kripke and Amazon-

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by wayneklein, Jul 27, 2019.

1. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Anybody found a way to slow down that section with all the nasty memes about Homelander?

2. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Film the TV in slo-mo on your IPhone.

3. vince

I have no kind of smart-phone...but, thanks for the advice.

4. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I'm not a huge fan of the superhero genre, but I really like The Boys. What a clever twist, turning the the whole genre on its head.

I thought season one was excellent, and I've liked season two so far, as well. I noticed, when starting episode 4, that the average review on Amazon was only 2.5*. I wondered how that could be--what were people seeing that I wasn't? So I hopped over there and found that about 1/2 the reviews were 4-5, and 1/2 the reviews were 1*. Nearly all the 1* reviews are people (probably 15 year olds) complaining that they are trickling it out one episode a week. I do find that mildly disappointing, but I'll live. I lived with that for decades...and for those who can't stand it: Just wait until the series has fully aired for the year, and then you can binge the way you want.

5. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Yeah that’s weird. I scanned lots of reviews and it’s like 50% ppl giving it 1-2 stars because all the episodes of season 2 aren’t released yet. That’s got to be a first. I hope Amazon deletes them. It doesn’t do this show justice to have a lower average rating because of these idiots.

maywitch, Vidiot and marmalade166 like this.
  6. Thesmellofvinyl

Thesmellofvinyl Senior Member

Some laptops have a slow-mo feature. Frame-by-frame playback.

7. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

8. vince

I assume A-Train may 'team-up' with The Boys....
    perfect excuse to play Mr. Joel's "A Matter Of Trust"!

9. maywitch

maywitch Forum Resident

I've always had such a soft spot for Kripke. Even when something on Supernatural would annoy me back during Season 1- to 5(when he was showrunner), I was always so fond of him.

Brenald79 likes this.
  10. This season might just be better than the first...and the first was very, very good. I'm over the moon for this show.

Aside for some minor gripes, like nobody in real life always says the perfect thing, at the perfect time, like these characters do (but that didn't keep me from enjoying Mad Men and Ozark), and that Huey is the poster boy for Hot Topic T-shirts (they probably did this on purpose), the show is television bliss.

The shots are great, the construction of each episode is different - for example,
    how the one episode inter dispersed the clips with the women trying out to become The Deeps' wife, and you only find out later what those scenes build up to
    - and all of the characters are compelling.

It's pretty amazing how they are able to balance some fairly real drama, between the ridiculous, and the outrageous, yet not one mode of storytelling dominates the whole. Surprises? Like that part where
    The Homelander is visiting Madelyn Stillwell, and I'm wondering if it's a dream or what. Well, that it was another Supe morphing into Madelyn was brilliant, especially how The Homelander later dispatched the guy.

So good!

11. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

I’m enjoying this season however the current episode was one of the weaker of the 5 so far.

Vidiot and GentleSenator like this.
  12. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

definitely think this season is better than the first. i was starting to wonder what the purpose was for keeping urban around any longer, but they managed to reel things back in. homelander is one of the scariest concepts/characters i've seen in some time. i hope they actually do something with maeve as she's been pretty stagnant for going on 8 episodes.

Vidiot likes this.
  13. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Ratings for Season 2 are through the roof, so much so that Amazon has just put a spin-off show into developent:

‘The Boys’ Spinoff Put On Fast-Track Development At Amazon – Deadline

The plot of The Boys spin-off will be:

Set at America’s only college exclusively for young adult superheroes (and run by Vought International), the Untitled Boys Spinoff is described as an irreverent, R-rated series that explores the lives of hormonal, competitive Supes as they put their physical, sexual, and moral boundaries to the test, competing for the best contracts in the best cities. Part college show, part Hunger Games — with all the heart, satire and raunch of The Boys.

:eek: :sigh:

I have to say, to me Kripke completely screwed up Heroes on NBC a few years ago. But The Boys has been a terrific show (albeit extremely cruel and violent), and it's got some real surprises in it. It's also a very well-made show with a lot of production value, and the satires of Marvel are hilarious if you're in on the joke.

Brenald79 likes this.
  14. puddleduck

puddleduck Forum Resident

Kripke had nothing to do with Heroes.

15. puddleduck

puddleduck Forum Resident

Agreed, I loathe super heroes films (the only exception being the first two Christopher Reeve Superman films) - the genre is just formulaic rubbish to me. So this deconstruction is quite refreshing.

EVOLVIST and Humbuster like this.
  16. Matthew

Matthew Senior Member

I think they have lighting in a bottle with The Boys; I doubt they can capture it again with the above.

daglesj and vince like this.
  17. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

The reason for the low reviews is that a load of petulant neck-beards have complained at Amazon drip feeding episodes and not allowing them to binge so they review bombed them down.

marmalade166 likes this.
  18. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Yeah that was Tim Kring?

Kripke was responsible for Supernatural that ran for 15 seasons!

19. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

You're absolutely right -- I confused him with Tim Kring.

Revolution was the NBC SF show that Eric Kripke totally screwed up that fell apart and collapsed towards the end.

Kripke actually stepped away from Supernatural in 2010 and other people took over for him. I'm told that was a very happy set and everybody got along really well, which I think kind of showed in the episodes that aired. That's an example of a show with great chemistry.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
    daglesj likes this.
  20. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

I’ve seen enough. This season will win the Emmy or Golden Globe for best drama. For reference I correctly picked season 2 of Succession and Fleabag right after they aired.

EVOLVIST likes this.
  21. I was going to disagree with you and write that I prefer the 1st season, but last night’s episode was fantastic and I’m now with you in thinking the current season is better. Too bad there’s only two episodes left this season!

GentleSenator and noname74 like this.
  22. vince

Not a spoiler, just a guess:

I'm assume it's Giancarlo Esposito's character that's doing all the 'head-poppin''.....maybe...

23. bopdd

bopdd Senior Member

I enjoyed the first season more than this one and by a rather substantial margin. Season two lacks a certain tier of tension for me, and I have to remind myself that there are any real stakes at any given moment. It's also become quite ham-fisted with the allegories and to its detriment (in my opinion), taking on the qualities of our un-nuanced culture and not in a meaningful way. When not toeing the easiest line, it veers into contrived melodrama, to the point where I'm not sure I care what happens to any single character. Nevertheless, I'm still watching. Maybe I'll circle back somewhere down the road and view it in a different light.

24. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Wouldnt it be the girl with the shaved head that escaped from the hospital and was seen hitchhiking at the end of the last episode? She pretty much did the same thing to some of the guards etc in the hospital. That was my assumption but it could be wrong.

Scotian likes this.
  25. vince

Oh, yeah....
    but, in the 'previously on' segment, they showed Butcher old CIA contact get 'popped' the same way..before we even knew that girl existed..
    but, who knows?