“The Boys” from Eric Kripke and Amazon-

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by wayneklein, Jul 27, 2019.

1. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Aww, what's wrong with a little cliffhanger, espescaially when you do know there's another series on the way. A cliffhanger is a time-honored way of putting a pause in the momentum of a long narrative, giving viewers a good time to catch their breath, and consider the ramifications of what's going on better.

The ones I hate are those last-minute, out-of-the-blue, left-turns that either set up a whole season with no forethought or consideration of what the characters have just supposedly put behind them...and sometimes, just as a way to gin-up support for getting the fans to do the producer's work for them, selling the network on a renewal. I hate that kind of show politics.

I just saw a "season finale" of another superhero show this past week, where the characters were walking away with that, "well, thank god that's over" attitude, and nobody notices when the last person in the bunch, suddenly gets yanked out of the scenery. Now, that was sloppy.

Admittedly, the show was probably abruptly-halted in production, as many were...but I believe this one was shooting on a different schedule, and may not have been affected by COVID much.

Vidiot and Andy Smith like this.
  2. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Oh yah..forgot about that scene. We will know in six days!

vince likes this.
  3. kouzie

kouzie Forum Resident

This last episode was bonkers.

4. 4_everyman

4_everyman The Sexual Intellectual

That's putting it mildly! :yikes:

kouzie likes this.
  5. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

How did that girl get out? I thought Stormfront "took care of" dealing with all the fallout from the meltdown at the hospital? Perhaps she intentionally unleashed that girl for some reason?

6. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

The spirit of Banshee (Anthony Starr) the greatest tv series ever lives on. Last Friday was the most bonkers episode yet of The Boys and season 2 of Warrior (Banshee creator Jonathan Trooper’s new series) premiered with an over-the-top fight scene.

JohnG and marmalade166 like this.
  7. noname74

I thought Stormfront took her out permanently as well and was surprised to see her at the end of the episode.

GentleSenator likes this.
  8. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

wildcard! or red herring.

9. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Quite a few witty lines in the season finale. My Favorite:
    "F#&k Fresca!"

noname74 and marmalade166 like this.
  10. vince

..and, now we know who's the 'head-popper'!

11. noname74

Yep...didn’t see that coming.

chrischerm and vince like this.
  12. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Yeah, it's rare you see somebody "unbreak" their own broken neck. I was like, "WTF?" when that happened.

They just hired Jensen Ackles for Season 3 of the show to be Homelander's "sidekick," so things are about to get very interesting. Producer/co-creator Eric Kripke explains the final episode at this link:

'The Boys': Eric Kripke on Season 2 Finale, Jensen Ackles in Season 3 - Variety

13. noname74

I have never read the comics but for those that did..is the show following the comics relatively closely or is it just using it as a rough starting point? Please no spoilers. Just curious about how different they are.

14. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

I liked the second season, and liked the finale well enough (except for some unfortunate events) - but it is not the kind of finale that leaves one filled with suspense or concern about something in particular that the bad guys might be about to do.

I mean for all we know the new villain might not have any villainous plot in mind at all. I mean sure, probably does - but we are left blissfully unaware of whatever it might be. That’s unusual. Kind of nice really. No rush to get to season 3 this way.

15. chrischerm

chrischerm Forum Resident

I liked - "If you jump ship, and let the a$$holes steer, then your part of the problem." Oh, and the kid - "Don't be a c*nt." :laugh:

EVOLVIST, Vidiot, noname74 and 2 others like this.
  16. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

They're going in different directions, but some plot points are the same.

noname74 likes this.
  17. noname74

She definitely has evil intentions or she wouldn’t have zit popped the head of Homelanders “Dad” at the Congressional hearing as he was going to tell the world how Vought operates.

18. CoryS

CoryS Forum Resident

They were shooting this late last summer and into fall, as I recall.
    A lot of scenes were shooting outside my employer's office downtown Toronto, around/in Roy Thompson Hall)

marmalade166 and Dillydipper like this.
  19. CoryS

CoryS Forum Resident

Roy Thompson Hall

[​IMG]

20. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Season 2 did not disappoint. This is a show you know will not play out to the usual tropes so expect the unexpected.

Roll on Season 3.

chrischerm likes this.
  21. This is probably the best show since for me since Breaking Bad.

The Boys is just on another level than anything out there right now. The amount of care that goes into each shot, each scene, every plot point, makes even the most sadistic bits appear even-keeled in this universe. That is to say, scenes like The Homelander and Stormfront having sex against the wall by a corpse with an exploded head, would be ridiculous under another showrunner. Love Sausage is another example. The show fully takes what would be sight gags in another series and makes it normal part of this world - a world where super heroes would probably act just like they do in The Boys.

I mean, in the real world Superman would have killed The Joker and told Batman to piss off.

Their approach is what really grounds this show.

Now, I could bellyache about a few parts (maybe it's written in the script that Huey changes into a new Hot Topic t-shirt 5 times an episode), but those parts are small (after all, I guess in every super hero show the villain or hero shows up at precisely the right time to ruin or save the day). There's contrivances and conceits in every program, yet in The Boys - as over the top as it is - it manages to keep those bits to a minimum.

And that's a good thing. As much as I love Garth Ennis, I thought the comic meandered a bit. I read it monthly, on the dot, as it was published, and yes, I enjoyed it a great deal; still, this is a rare case where the book is better than the film.

Now, no spoilers, right? Of course not. But I wonder how they will handle Mother's Milk's origin, because if we've noticed, he's the only one of "The Boys" that they haven't touched on. In the comic it was really bizarre.

Yeah, the way they handle the show compared to the comic is much better...and again, no spoilers, because this part doesn't matter, but it seems that "The Boys," as a "team," at the end of Season 2, was how the comic started at issue #1, only without certain members joining yet.

Everything makes much more sense in show.

22. BroJB

BroJB Large Marge sent me.

I really like the show. But, and I may be in the minority here, I really dislike the Billy Butcher character. He's one-note (brooding, tragedy-inspired anger) and the actor has morphed through a number of accents over the series.

I did like this season's commentary on real world America. Cleverly done, for the most part.

23. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

i felt the same way about butcher, but as @EVOLVIST mentioned: the second season ends where it basically begins in the comic, so perhaps the character will er, evolve. he's more of a punisher type character in the comics, iirc.

anyway, i think the second season was far better than the first, even with a somewhat disappointing finale. the storm front character was pretty short changed and eliminated quickly and i'm not sure i'm sold on the "good" politician actually being a supervillain reveal.

24. vince

We don't know if this is true, do we?
    She could still be living..

25. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

definitely. i guess i meant as far as the narrative goes in the current season. really could have used some more details.