The Brian Jones Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by honestmaxx, Sep 29, 2019.

1. Brian Resource

Brian Resource Forum Resident

Brian Jones soundtrack for Mord Und Totschlag/A Degree Of Murder film. Audio taken from official Bluray release.

Recorded at IBC Studios and Olympic Sound Studios in February 1967.

Line up:
    Brian Jones - harmonica, recorder, dulcimer, sitar, autoharp, slide guitar(melobar) & organ
    Jimmy Page - guitar
    Nicky Hopkins - piano, organ & harpsichord
    Peter Gosling - organ & vocals
    Kenney Jones - drum solo
    Unverified/uncredited session musicians* - violin, cello, double bass, reeds & brass, 6 & 12 string acoustic guitar, jew's harp, banjo, bass guitar, drums.
    Mike Leander - arranger/conductor
    Glyn Johns - engineer

2. Brian Resource

Lots to appreciate in my links without any need to diss Brian or the rest of the Stones. :righton:

3. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd

These are fantastic, thank you! It's amazing how much coloration Brian added to those earlier Stones records.

A quote from Phil May in Laura Jackson's book is relevant here:

"Brian was important to the Stones, incredibly essential. You can see that by the fact that the Stones have never been the same without him. I'm not saying they aren't good. But they've never been the same without Brian. Anyone else up there- and I've nothing against either Micky Taylor or Ron Wood- is just another guitarist. It was something spiritual with Brian. He was a left wing, a spiritual element. I dunno, but it was vital. You could've cut off Brian's guitar arm and he's till have it. Even the problems surrounding hi with the band were central to the electricity of the band."
    -Laura Jackson's, Golden Stone, p.114

4. Brian Resource

Just keep in mind it's a work in progress, more to come, but also possibly alterations. Any of it is open to change when or if info becomes available that shows something is wrong or likely to be wrong. I revisit and look in to things regularly. :righton:

5. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Here is a 2003 Mojo magazine quote from Charlie Watts about the guitarists.

"The Mick Taylor period was a creative peak for us. A tremendous jump in musical credibility. Now Keith won't say that; Keith, I think, would prefer to play with Ronnie as a partner. But Mick Taylor was an incredible virtuoso. Brian wasn't, he was a good all-round player, and Ronnie's the same. He'll play wonderful bottleneck guitar and pedal steel -- any instrument, like Brian -- but Mick gave our music terrific lyricism. Ronnie is a very likeable person, a great sense of humor. Musically, he didn't bring anything, but he has this facility to add to things." Mojo Magazine 2003

6. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

A really great resource for Brian fans and musicians alike!

7. All Down The Line

I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised to learn that Brian played some of the additional instrumentation.

Crimson Witch and beccabear67 like this.
  8. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

These are all INCREDIBLY cool - thanks!

9. paul62

paul62 Forum Resident

I remember reading years ago (well before the 'net came into our lives) that there were plans to swap Jimmy Page from The Yardbirds with Brian Jones: if there's any truth to this, I'd guess it was at a time when ALO still had management control of The Stones and had Immediate Records on the go (with Jimmy hired as a staff producer there). Interesting idea, at any rate and could have been brilliant (though Jimmy would likely have been frozen out in terms of songwriting credits, it would have been interesting to see how he'd have reacted to the situation, short term and long term!). (Maybe the plan was stymied by Peter Grant (or by Simon Napier-Bell)?).

The idea of Jimmy and Brian making an album or two, exploring different flavours of music with multiple types of acoustic and electric stringed instruments is tantalising. If it wasn't for the common denominator of Linda Lawrence likely causing some problems, then Brian and Donovan could have made some excellent music together.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
    Crimson Witch likes this.
  10. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

Some of Brian's recorded parts with the group during 1967-68 are my favorites. Very compelling stuff.

No Expectations
    Child of the Moon
    We Love You

RogerB, beccabear67 and Crimson Witch like this.
  11. Brian Lux

Excellent! :agree:

12. Brian Lux

Mick was great, no doubt. One of my favorite guitarist, both with Mayall and the Stones. Super glad I got to se Mick play on the Bluesbreakers reunion tour.

RogerB and John Fell like this.
  13. Brian Resource

It was recorded in 3 to 4 hour sessions over 6 or so days.

He may have played percussion etc, but the instruments credited are most likely what he played, he told us what he played. The brass and reed instruments, bass, drums etc are definitely by other people.

14. Brian Resource

Yes, sometime in 1965, so it's pre Page in The Yardbirds, but like you say he was an Immediate regular and also played on some of Mick & Keith's song writing projects etc.

We have a inside source confirming it. Bill Wyman.

Keith Richards by Barbara Charone. Page 116.

'The decision to ask Brian to leave was made on several occasions,' Bill Wyman informs. 'In '65 we almost asked him to leave before Zeppelin was formed, when we were going to ask Page. We thought of asking him to leave five or six times. Brian just faded away, going somewhere the music wasn't."

15. Brian Resource

There were tensions between Brian and the band in late 1964 due to him burning candle at both ends which affected his health and their 2nd US tour dates and related recording sessions. Perhaps this notion of Page replacing Brian came from this.

A major guitar force joining, like with Taylor, they would have become quite a different band with Jimmy Page.

16. All Down The Line

Is it true that Volker was very concerned at how long it took Brian to complete the soundtrack?

17. Brian Resource

Yes, Brian procrastinated etc, but it's all become a bit silly and exaggerated the more Volker has spoke about the sessions. Like his last spoken memory was one level and he takes off from there next time he talks about it.

It's as much a clash of expected working practices if anything. Soundtracks then were usually done in a day, all arranged and written beforehand with people given written parts etc. Brian was used to Stones way of doing things of recording for hours and hours day upon day until the magic happened.

All Down The Line likes this.
  18. TheDailyBuzzherd

TheDailyBuzzherd Forum Resident

Curious: Which? Must be by preArrangement. ( Pun unintended. )

19. Brian Resource

Led Zeppelin, King Crimson, Joy Division/New Order, Radiohead, Gomez etc etc etc.

TheDailyBuzzherd likes this.
  20. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

This really is an incredible resource. :righton:
    Fun and very informative to listen to.

21. Brian Resource

Here is Trio by King Crimson. A live improvisation. Bill Bruford sat with his drum sticks across his chest throughout. He received a writing credit, intentional silence was his contribution to the improvisation.

TheDailyBuzzherd and John Fell like this.
  22. TheDailyBuzzherd

TheDailyBuzzherd Forum Resident

Good ol’ Bru!

23. a customer

a customer Forum Resident

If you die young your contributions are magnified. He contributed to the stones .
    He is liked Mick Taylor. Mick didnt die but its as 4 year thing

24. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

The reality was that for a long time his contributions were forgotten, and pretty quickly. It was just some obsessives (like us) who listened to the records a lot that kept alive the knowledge of his contributions. Mostly the focus was on Brain Jones' substance abuse and being a difficult character throughout any mentions in the '70s and '80s I would say, maybe a brief mention of how he could make something interesting up from almost any instrument quickly if the person interviewed was feeling charitable, but mainly how he was doomed... had brought it on himself... and wasn't functional often.

25. All Down The Line

Yes but wasn't it very possibly Brian having anxieties and self doubt completing the first project under his own name?
    Like he certainly wasn't given a deadline at the last minute!