The Brian Jones Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by honestmaxx, Sep 29, 2019.

1. Brian Resource

Brian Resource Forum Resident

Of course.

2. Brian Resource

Forgotten? Millions of people listened and listen to the 60's stones.

Releases like Hot Rocks, Rolled Gold etc kept Brian's legacy alive in 70's onwards, as did the Stones continuing.

3. Brian Resource

Aftermath, Ern, Purple Jim and 3 others like this.
  4. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

I was more thinking of forgotten by the other Stones, although Bill Wyman might be an exception to that too. I do remember however, even though little, noticing how Janis Joplin's music, which had been everywhere, disappeared near completely by a year after her dying.

Were many people really acknowledging Brian's contributions musically and otherwise circa the mid-late '70s, '80? In the '90s I got curious about him and found there were few who would write positively about him, or even want to consider his achievements as worth mentioning... mostly what was on offer was about the nasty fellow who brought doom on himself, who had stopped contributing at all not even being micced up and so forth.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2021
    douglas mcclenaghan likes this.
  5. beccabear67

By the way, sorry for the typo I missed until to late to edit of Brain for Brian. :sigh:

This is one of those things my dyslexic fingers going too fast get wrong... also fantatsic, magent, and Metroplois.

6. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Keith spoke about him to Rolling Stone in 1971 and the band quietly made a donation to a favoured charity of Brian's in 1974 to commemorate the 5th year since his passing.

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  7. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

There was a cult of Brian already in the 70s. Patti Smith had a Brian/Anita fixation in some of her poetry and spoken word. 80s saw the 'Godstar' Psychic TV thing. I remember the 20th anniversary of his passing, he was in quite a few magazines in the UK and Europe. He was too well known to disappear completely, and on too many classic albums from the 60s. All those photos of the Stones - he's in tons of them, and the books that cover the 60s Stones all feature him. He was legendary in death.

The Stones probably enjoyed the late 60s way less than their fans did, though, and wanted to forget all the bad episodes - 'classic' as they may be - by 1974. They were happy to live in the present and put the thing on a comparative cruise control. Keith was completely out of it in the 70s, and the Stones generally lived far apart from each other. Brian was like a bad memory.

8. Brian Resource

Brian Jones, Player of the Month - Beat Monthly No.12 - April 1964.

Brian Jones of The Rolling Stones, is one of the most exciting guitarists in the business. But his musical career started in the high-class areas of the school orchestra at Cheltenham Grammar School--he was first clarinettist, playing classical airs on a boehm system instrument.
    He say's: "My parents instigated lessons on piano and clarinet and later I moved on to saxophone. It was great for giving me a solid grounding--but I didn't know in those 'square' days where my musical interests were going to lead me, ..."

In fact he took up guitar at the age of 17. Can't remember the make of his first fretted instrument, except that it was a copy of a Spanish type and he bought it from a friend who was "selling everything he had to raise funds."

Brian taught himself from a good book on the instrument. "It's important to get a good one," he say's. "Some of them are rubbish." And he became interested in jazz rhythm guitar sufficiently to buy a Gibson Cromwell, a pre-war instrument which he now regrets having sold.
    But he part-exchanged it for a Hofner Committee, which he didn't like. And then went on to a Harmony Jumbo--"which was just great when I became interested in blues music." From there, he went on to a semi-solid Harmony and is now on a Gretsch--"a lovely sound, electrically."

Say's Brian: "Though Keith Richards takes the Chuck Berry-style leads with The Rolling Stones, I like getting unusual sounds from my guitar. It's much more important to me than just knowing a sequence of different chords. I use steel guitar a lot and people seem surprised that I use the conventional tuning for it."

"Favourite musicians? Well, Django Reinhardt for sure--not that I'd ever try to model myself on him. Then there's Elmore James, who's a beautiful player. I like Robert Johnson, too. But there are two players with Muddy Waters I dig a lot--Pate Hare and someone called Jimmy Rodgers, who is NOT to be confused with the folk singers of the same name."

Brian, quick-smiling, talks fast about his musical attitudes. And say's: "To be honest I prefer playing harmonica to guitar. It's that SOUND business all over again--I just like getting soulful sounds, without worrying about simple sequences of notes. And harmonica is great, from my point of view."

"But I don't think you get the real soul stuff from a chromatic harmonica. Which is why I stick to Echo Vampers, which come in a host of different keys . . . and cost just 10s . 9d."

The one-time school orchestra clarinet-player has certainly changed HIS ideas in the past few years...

[​IMG]

Zeki, Aftermath, Jon H. and 5 others like this.
  9. All Down The Line

Some great early revelations here, do you own this issue @Brian Resource ?

10. Brian Resource

No, just the image.

rainingdogs likes this.
  11. beccabear67

12. donohed

donohed Hope Joy Victory !

My great wish to have the Metamorphosis iron on began in 1977, and has been with me ever since. Even if I had the $ for one back then, though, i was sure the whole mail order deal from the paper sleeve had to be long defunct anyway.
    Yesterday I saw that there's a new pressing of it that includes an iron on ! WOW. Yet no one's talking about it. Forum reviews of the vinyl were not especially glorifying, I already have an ex original UK Decca ( my copys sleeve does not show or say anything at all about an iron on, maybe it was a U.S thing), and so I thought maybe someone might be selling theirs off on ebay. Irononqueen had 32 for sale as of last night. ORIGINAL 1975 ONES . $10 + 5. I bought six, two for my brother (it was his wish too). After seeing the new iron on displayed on you tube I considereal buying a Metamorphosis for one, thinking that it will probably be more well made than the old ones, but decided it$ too late, after already buying four. that I'll just STICK with them. I think.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
  13. All Down The Line

The offers were only on the inner bags IIRC.

rainingdogs likes this.
  14. donohed

I don't understand, inner bags, iirc ?

15. All Down The Line

Printed on the paper inner envelope that held the record, I believe over the label area.

16. donohed

Yes, yes, paper sleeve, inner bag, and I do remember it being the center of the sleeve, the size of the records label. blue abko.
    I did buy amazons 'last copy' of the new Metamorphosis for 16+5 early yesterday, but ended up immediately canceling the order, thinking better iron on quality or not, I'll have four old ones. I haven't had an income for 8 weeks...
    Last night it came to me again : the Metamorphosis iron on ! even if it's no longer a rarity, it's still ' thee image' . i got out of bed, and with some credit with amazon did purchase a new copy of the record. which i will definitely sell back off to recoup some of the $. as evil an entity as amazon is for the economy, the convenience, availabilities and prices; it does take .... fortitude to boycott it.
    it'll be interesting to see the difference between the old and new one once they're transferred.

17. Brian Resource

John Gilliland's Pop Chronicles Interviews #56 - Brian Jones - 6th February 1968.

Recorded at R.G. Jones Studio, Morden, Surrey, England on 6th February 1968.

Source: Gilliland, John. Pop Chronicles Interviews #56 - Mick Jagger and Brian Jones, audio recording, February 6, 1968; (Pop Chronicles Interviews #56 - Mick Jagger and Brian Jones : accessed March 1, 2021), University of North Texas Libraries, UNT Digital Library, https://digital.library.unt.edu; crediting UNT Music Library.

Ern, notesfrom, Jon H. and 2 others like this.
  18. All Down The Line

This is gold @Brian Resource !
    Was it broadcast somewhere at the time & what is the story with the jam listed as a live performance?
    It sounds like Brian and Stu were chatting with others when Mick was interviewed, do we know for a fact that it was all off Mic or at least not preserved?

Brian Resource likes this.
  19. Brian Resource

Broadcast I think in 1969 and again in 70's as part of the long multi part Pop Chronicles series. There's an earlier interview with Brian at Monterey where he slurs his words. Clearly under the influence.

They rented R.G. Jones for informal rehearsing, to touch base again after they had all been on holiday over festive season. They may have recorded some stuff to tape, but no sign of it anywhere or suggestions that such recordings exist.

All we have is the lo-fi John Gilliland and Keith Altham one mic cassette recordings most of which don't feature Brian. He seems to only be on this jam recorded after his interview.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
  20. donohed

So cool to hear more of his speaking voice, inflection, choice of words.
    Thanks for sharing!

All Down The Line likes this.
  21. donohed

22. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

23. donohed

[​IMG]
    from a popular book ...

All Down The Line likes this.
  24. donohed