The British Speaker Thread Old And New!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Tawaun A Williams, Nov 7, 2021.

1. tlowe

tlowe Life Explorer

Ironically, Fyne Audio F300 and F500 series are also made in China..go figure. Only the F500 SP, F700 and F1 series are made in Scotland.

Tajo1960 and Tawaun A Williams like this.
  2. mev

mev Forum Resident

I have been listening to active ATC speakers since 1998 and in my personal experience, ATC's 3 inch mid dome driver is just amazing.

3. Dream On

Dream On Forum Resident

I don't know if this applies to all ProAc speakers and all Spendor speakers. Just to the two that I own.

The Spendor midrange has more richness and life, and it's really the star of the show. With the ProAc I feel the midrange is a bit more recessed, but it's a more energetic and exciting speaker to listen to.

They are both great though. When I say the midrange sounds a bit recessed on the ProAc, it's really just compared to the Spendors. I feel like the ProAc midrange is better than on most speakers I've tried, but Spendor just takes that farther. I suspect the A3 measures pretty flat or with a slight elevation to the mids, while the ProAc has a rise in bass and treble.

And when I say the mids are the star for the Spendors, it's not like the bass and treble are poor. Both speakers have nice balance across the full frequency range, it's just with the Spendors the mids are more forward, and have greater richness and texture.

Again, different ProAc and different Spendor speakers may yield different results.

4. Tone?

Tone? Forum Resident

Thanks !

yeah that confirms what I’ve heard even in clips.

need to go try a pair of spendors for sure

jonwoody and Tawaun A Williams like this.
  5. Toneh

Toneh Forum Resident

Great assessment - mirrors the experiences I've had with both brands. And probably the reason why the ProAc's I've listened to over the years have never really "grabbed" me. They are an amazing brand though.

Tawaun A Williams likes this.
  6. Classic Car Guy

Classic Car Guy - Touch The Face Of God -

Very eager to know more about this speaker.
    In my early years on car fidelity, I did so many combinations, boxes, type of speakers in the range of 350 watts system. On one that I was proud the most was the sound of the 6x9 combining with a sub.
    As an experiment, I bought a similar specs or closer specs to the 6x9 in wattage and speaker material using an 8 inch. I really prefer the punch and mid-bass of the 6x9.
    I built the same system for my friend and that was all the way back 1985. He still has that car and that same speaker the we put together. And boy, he gave me so much pleasant stories in the time line when we part that he attempted to upgrade his system and went right back to the same speakers...
    Anyways.. any takes?
    I'm am running a 15-watt dual 300b amp.
    Thanks,,,,

7. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

The owner used to run Kralk Audio but took on some bad investors resulting in him leaving his own company (which has disappeared). Designs appear quite different. The Kralk were more like an affordable JBL speaker.

8. AC1

AC1 Forum Resident

Yes, the owner being Alan. I guess that's where the 'Al' of 'Alchris Audio' stands for. I'm really intrigued by this new line. Here's the (bigger) AR-8:

[​IMG]

Would never put them on these stands though ...

Tim 2, Tajo1960, jonwoody and 4 others like this.
  9. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Forum Resident

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

John3655, Tim 2, Tajo1960 and 6 others like this.
  10. Classic Car Guy

Thank you for the follow-up and posting.
    I'm very impress reading the specs. This speaker is a lot bigger than I thought for it has a bigger driver and more robust cabinet being 60 lbs each.
    I have a Perreaux high power mosfet amp that can drive this easily because I wanna benefit the "long throw" of the bass driver. It didn't quite mention the exact voice coil linear travel but for that size if it can do .900' and up, great!
    What do you feel is the most comfortable amp to use driving these beauties? Very nice speakers. Thanks,,,,

Monitor Audio MA3 Series II Speakers Specs
    Amp wattage
    15 to 125 @ 8 Ohms
    96 db sensitivity linear
    Drivers in inches:
    13.8' x 9' Bass driver
    6.3' midrange
    1' silk done tweeters

Cabinet
    28.125 Height
    13.75 Width
    13.25 Depth
    60 lbs. Weight

11. LarryRS

LarryRS Forum Resident

KEF Reference 101s. Bought them new in the late ‘70’s. We’re KEF’s version of the LS3/5A and used the same T27 tweeter.

12. Tawaun A Williams

Tawaun A Williams Forum Resident Thread Starter

Got the new Mission LX-4 mkII coming in to do battle with the Diamond 12.2 and Rega Kytes should be interesting and fun. The Mission Lx series is on sale in the USA in black just incase folks wanna try them out...Welcome back Mission!

John3655, Art K and 33na3rd like this.
  13. Classic Car Guy

I actually have a 70's Kef c75 with 8 inch drivers. The drivers and tweeters actually sounds very rich. Its good for someone that's looking for a sealed box, sound precision and running with a sub, Bingo. I really prefer the firing backport cabinet for I don't use subs. So the cabinet has to be atleast 91 litres tune the 4 inch porting in its optimum bass dynamics.
    Not quite easy to find and actual speaker and cab size unless if I have another custom made box. Its a lot of work..:-plnktn-:

14. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Forum Resident

Well lets see, I don't know your plans for these if you can even find a pair, luck and patience you will need. They are not a rockin speaker, you can't drive them hard without fuses popping, at least my pair. Could be mine need some kind of servicing but still you'll never find the LF drivers surround or many parts for these.

Out of the British speakers I posted in this thread that I have (still have) they are the only ones I use still. I think they sound really nice and match very well with my 100 watt VAC amps that I got around the same time. If this was my only setup as far as speakers/amps in my system I would be looking at replacing the speakers. I say this because they don't do everything I need a speaker to do, like playing any music I want to listen to, as loud as I want. My JBL L250s with a high power amp 500 watts do it all. But also in my system I have three amp & speaker setups that I can select depending on mood and the music at any given time. So that said they are part of my system for the most part. I had removed them for a bit but plan on putting them back in.

15. Classic Car Guy

Thanks for the video and that's was an excellent sound clipping. I thought it was Vanelli. Anyways it sounds good right here. I see the whole picture now. I have a nice super clean sounding Pereaux 100 wpc amp that can drive it medium range (no need to push it). With this spectacular sound, I can make an exemption of using a sub-woofer. I understand the box is smaller and more focused on the sound.
    I can definitely wait. The few speakers that I have took me a long time to find it (you can actually see it on my infos)Of course I will never give up my Rauna and Vienna acoustics. But this is another speaker that's been in my mind for quite a while. Atleast the configuration when I saw your posting. What makes it so heavy. Is the speaker dual magnet / dual voice coil?

16. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Forum Resident

Well not that I have taken them apart, but they are very well constructed and I think there is dividers between the drivers. The the mid is a B&W, casted frame with a good size magnet, the LF is also casted and is a EMI 14"x9" ref. No. 14A770C. These do give a very neutral sound and dig deep in the low frequencies.
    BTW these in Rose Wood and with stands where just over $1000 in 1979.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2021
    Art K and Tawaun A Williams like this.
  17. Tawaun A Williams

Tawaun A Williams Forum Resident Thread Starter

The Mission Lx4 mkII is in the house! They can create a soundstage like few speakers i've heard in any of my rooms....

18. Classic Car Guy

Thank you for that update and really appreciate the time you spent and sharing your discoveries. So according to your findings, everything inside the enclosure is top notch including the speaker weave basket and definitely the choice cabinet is not MDF. (nothing to compare with MDF and other wood quality for they have their own advantages) So atleast has top end 3/4 English plywood with rosewood veneer?
    Wow this is getting really interesting. You know when I was 13-14, I built a small speaker cabinet from scratch, plugged it to my portable radio cassette and played around with different handmade crossovers. The most interesting sound that blew me away is when I started switching the speaker position and I found a real sweet spot which putting it inside a walk-in cabinet. The more that I adjust the door opening, the more sound gets interesting. I can control the bass and 3d sound...
    Anyways this is a very interesting speakers and I'm definitely in. This is not the first time I looked for a white buffalo and anything that we want to reach on is a matter of chance. We just got to make that move and keep our heads up. Thank you again and sincerely.....

19. AtohmGT2HD

AtohmGT2HD Forum Resident

Loving my ATC Scm11 speakers. I'm a big fan of british speakers.

[​IMG]

20. SteveKr

SteveKr Forum Resident

I think Falcon Acoustics are remaking them.
    IMF 200 “Complete@Home” LOUDSPEAKER SYSTEM

21. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

Kind of late to the party, but I've had MA Silver 8s for 7 years or something, a year ago I got a Parasound A 21 to drive them in my stereo system. I'd previously used them in a 7.1 system driven by a Marantz AVR in a previous home. With new SR Foundation balanced IC between the P 7 and A 21, and Morrow Audio SP4 cables, and room treatment, these have displaced by beloved Triangle Titus monitors (driven by 300B SETs) as my go-to system.

Seems to be an 'attach picture' thread, so here goes:

[​IMG]

Bananas&blow, Tim 2, 33na3rd and 11 others like this.
  22. yamfan

yamfan Forum Resident

23. I am very happy with my 15yr old ART Stiletto 6 speakers; made in Scotland by the same people that bought us the Systemdek turntables. A small company that really seem to care about quality.

24. Gasman1003

Gasman1003 Forum Diplomat.