The Bryan Ferry & Roxy Music Album By Album Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dr. Weber, Dec 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AtcoFan

AtcoFan Senior Member

'Girl Of My Best Friend' must not be discussed without mentioning the incredible version by Chicagoan Ral(ph) Donner (Gone single 5102, Entered Billboard 17 April 1962, peak #19):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQDgT6b6UBc

In a somewhat similar vein, discussing Terry Stafford’s SUSPICION! album (1964) in Roctober magazine, I wrote:
    Buddy Mize offered 'She Wishes I Were You' (the best song Bryan Ferry never recorded) later titled 'She Still Wishes I Were You' by The Gosdin Brothers (Bakersfield International single BIP 1006, Billboard Review 17 February 1968, Arranged by Gary S Paxton).

2. Dr. Weber

Dr. Weber New Member Thread Starter

Thanks for the notice. Even though it was the American hit, I had never heard Donner's version until now... via your YouTube link.

And I am unfamiliar with Stafford's album except for the title song... very curious to hear "She Wishes I Were You."

Of the nine cover songs on Taxi, three were new to me when I first bought the album, "Answer Me," "Girl of My Best Friend," and "Taxi."

Dr. Weber

3. Dr. Weber

It certainly was a rather ubiquitous and unavoidable hit, charting for more than half of 1960 in both the U.S. and the U.K.

For those who haven't heard it, here's the original version of "He'll Have To Go" by Jim Reeves...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Smlaq1ezQRM

Dr. Weber

4. butch

butch Senior Member

I seem to remember Williams doing the Tonight Show gig with Ferry during the time of Taxi. a triple guitar threat,if I remember correctly.......

5. popnytt

popnytt Forum Resident

The model on the right is Constance Lantemann, the sister of the late Can guitarist, Michael Karoli . His girlfriend, Evaline Seelig is on the left. Sorry I don'thave any out-take pics of Evaline & Constance, here's one of the mighty Can , with Micheal Karoli pictured top right , during the "Soon Over Babaluma" era, late 1974.

[​IMG]

6. Dr. Weber

“He’ll Have To Go” – single review (via Roxyrama)
    author unknown
    NME, 15th April 1989
    Bryan Ferry: “He’ll Have To Go” (Virgin)
    Lloyd Cole and the Commotions: “Forest Fire” (remix) (Polydor)

Lloyd Cole has the prettiest case of mumps pop has ever seen. And the fact that both he and Ferry have singles out in the same week is significant because they cancel each other out. Cole sounds like he’s swallowed Ferry whole and Ferry sounds like he’s been swallowed whole…

“I love Bryan Ferry. He’s just the ultimate in style. He’s one of my weak spots but this song is appalling… it’s just wallowing in self pity… good for the first 30 seconds or so… then nothing. Really disappointing… especially as he’s got such a brilliant voice…”

“Cole’s ‘Forest Fire’ is brilliant live. It doesn’t sound quite as good on this record but I still think he’ll be really massive one day. He’s got a great voice and most of his songs are very inspirational. The Commotions were the perfect backing group for him. They were very sympathetic to his songs…”

Dr. Weber

7. Dr. Weber

“I Put A Spell On You”
    Bryan Ferry: vocals, piano & strings
    Carleen Anderson: vocals
    Neil Hubbard: guitar
    David Williams: rhythm guitar & hook
    Robin Trower: fender
    Michael Brook: atmos guitar
    Greg Phillinganes: vibes & strings
    Richard T. Norris: programming
    Nathan East: bass
    Steve Ferrone: drums
    Maceo Parker: alto sax

“Will You Love Me Tomorrow”
    Bryan Ferry: vocals, piano & synth
    Neil Hubbard: probe guitar
    Robin Trower: wah wah
    Steve Pearce: bass
    Greg Phillinganes: synthesizer

“Answer Me”
    Bryan Ferry: vocals, organ & witch
    Neil Hubbard: trace guitar
    David Williams: rhythm guitar

“Just One Look”
    Bryan Ferry: vocals, piano & strings
    Neil Hubbard: lead guitar
    Robin Trower: theme guitar
    Chris Stainton: Hammond
    Luis Jardim: percussion

“Rescue Me”
    Bryan Ferry: vocals, piano, synths & witch
    Michael Brook: lead guitar
    Robin Trower: pin guitar
    Mel Collins: tenor sax

“All Tomorrow’s Parties”
    Bryan Ferry: vocals, piano, synths & witch
    Michael Brook: lead guitar
    Neil Hubbard: licks guitar

“Girl of My Best Friend”
    Bryan Ferry: vocals, piano & organ
    Neil Hubbard: lead guitar

“Amazing Grace”
    Bryan Ferry: vocals & piano
    Neil Hubbard: rhythm guitar
    Greg Phillinganes: synth & harp
    David Sancious: Hammond
    Flaco Jimenez: accordion

“Taxi”
    Bryan Ferry: vocals, piano, strings & witch
    Neil Hubbard: licks guitar
    David Williams: rhythm guitar & cat
    Robin Trower: pocket guitar
    Andy Mackay: alto sax
    Andy Newmark: drums
    Mike Giles: drums

“Because You’re Mine”
    Bryan Ferry: piano, strings & Ben Nevis
    Michael Brook: infinite guitar
    Robin Trower: space guitar

-Dr. Weber

8. Interesting to note that original King Crimson drummer Michael Giles plays on "Taxi". Ferry auditioned for KC at one point which led Fripp to later recommend Roxy Music to EG Records.

9. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

Fascinating. Thanks for that.

I've read very little on EG Records. Perhaps an EG thread is in the future also?

10. Dr. Weber

Yes, Giles credited with two other drummers, Ferrone and Newmark. Talk about underutilization. Also worth noting that another King Crimson alumnus appears on this album, Mel Collins on "Rescue Me." I wonder if Ferry cursed Fripp under his breath during the "business divorce"?

I have learned from experience that some threads generate little if any response, and others inexplicably generate a considerable response. It is difficult to determine which way a thread about EG Records / Management might go, so a link...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EG_Records

Dr. Weber

11. Alex Washington

Alex Washington New Member

I enjoyed "Taxi" quite a bit when it came out, and I did buy the "Archive & Live Collection". I saw him on the "Mamouna" tour and opening with "I Put A Spell On You", Bryan reached into his jacket pocket and threw confetti on the front rows when he got to the chorus. Great memories!

DJ WILBUR likes this.
  12. Considering the animosity that EG generated among folks like Robert Fripp later in his career, it would be an interesting thread if nothng else.

13. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

Yes it would. Roxy Music, Bryan Ferry, King Crimson and (early material only) Killing Joke? I love them all, and wonder what Fripp would say about how they ended up on that somewhat boutique-ish lable.

14. akmonday

akmonday Forum Resident

I liked almost anything EG put their stamp on. I certainly had a different idea of Killing Joke as a result of it (and the first thing I heard by them was Love Like Blood which was at least pretty arty and didn't seem eons removed from something like 80's Crimson). Sounds like pretty poor management later on though I've never exactly understood what the problem was completely (I can't bear to read through Fripp's writings about anything)

15. Dr. Weber

Does anyone know where the Taxi insert photograph was taken of Ferry standing on the quay or dock, his back to the camera, wearing the beret? Since the album is dedicated to his mother, who died in 1991, I have long thought that some of the song selections might have been her personal favorites, such as “Answer Me” and “Amazing Grace.” In this context the album might reflect his roots or hometown, Newcastle-upon-Tyne. (Might this be the A1 bridge over the Tyne? in which case I have crossed it.)

Dr. Weber

16. willy

willy hooga hagga hooga

In the Taxi booklet there is a pic of Bryan standing on/near (don't have booklet to hand) some ricketty steps. These were on Newcastle's Quayside not far from where I lived at the time, but the area has since been developed.

17. Dr. Weber

Excellent. Confirmation that my deductions are at least in the correct vicinity. To judge by his clothes, the photograph of Ferry on the steps was taken the same day as two others in the insert, including the one with his back to the camera.

(Trust that you and Sid are healthy and working on more than lifting pints at the pub. :winkgrin: )

Dr. Weber

18. butch

butch Senior Member

It also would be a frustrating snapshot into the music business. Very bold of Fripp to fight and in the end create DGM to circumvent potential future problems.

19. AtcoFan

AtcoFan Senior Member

Cash Box Album Charts 1975 - 1985

ROXY MUSIC

Country Life
    Entered 18 January 1975 Peak #34

Siren
    Entered 29 November 1975 Peak #42

Viva!
    Entered 31 July 1976 Peak #84

Manifesto
    Entered 24 March 1979 Peak #34

Flesh + Blood
    Entered 28 June 1980 Peak #42

Avalon
    Entered 19 June 1982 Peak #32

The High Road
    Entered 2 April 1983 Peak #50

The Atlantic Years
    Entered 17 December 1983 Peak #184

BRYAN FERRY

Let's Stick Together
    Entered 9 October 1976 Peak #171

In Your Mind
    Entered 16 April 1977 Peak #162

The Bride Stripped Bare
    Entered 21 October 1978 Peak #176

Boys And Girls
    Entered 22 June 1985 Peak #57

20. Dr. Weber

Excellent addition to the history. :righton:

Dr. Weber

21. Dr. Weber

TAXI reviewed by J.D. Considine in the May 1993 MUSICIAN, page 90:

For almost anyone else, an album of covers, no matter how stylish and imaginative, would be a disappointment. Yet somehow Ferry pulls it off, imbuing these chestnuts with such arch sophistication that even his take on “Amazing Grace” seems refreshingly soulful. Could it be that artistic myopia has its advantages? – J.D.C.

Dr. Weber

22. Dr. Weber

While it doesn’t explain the art or creative process or increase our appreciation of the albums, allow me to take this rare opportunity… thanks to AtcoFan… to compare the peak chart positions of the albums on Cashbox and Billboard.

Billboard has become the American standard due to longevity and dominance of market, yet many observers have noted that prior to the Soundscan era, Cashbox was always more accurate…

ROXY MUSIC
    Country Life #34 (C); #37 (B)
    Siren #42 (C); #50 (B)
    Viva! #84 (C); #81 (B)
    Manifesto #34 (C); #23 (B)
    Flesh + Blood #42 (C); #35 (B)
    Avalon #32 (C); #53(B)

BRYAN FERRY
    Let's Stick Together #171 (C); #168 (B)
    In Your Mind #162 (C); #126 (B)
    The Bride Stripped Bare #176 (C); #159 (B)
    Boys And Girls #57 (C); #63 (B)

Observations: Of the six Roxy Music albums noted above, three peaked higher on Cashbox than on Billboard, with the largest difference being Avalon with a whopping 21 positions.

Of the four Bryan Ferry albums noted above, only one charted higher on Cashbox than on Billboard. The largest difference is the staggering 36 positions with In Your Mind, charting higher on Billboard.

Also worth noting: of the ten albums noted above, not one peaked at the same position on both charts...

Dr. Weber

23. Dr. Weber

24. Dr. Weber

Allow me to elaborate a bit. The original by Doris Troy and the cover by the Hollies are similar, with the cover more poppish and with harmony vocals. It is interesting to note that the Troy original peaked at #10 in the U.S. in 1963 but never charted at all in the U.K., while the opposite is nearly true with the Hollies’ version. A #2 hit in 1964 in the U.K., the Hollies’ single, which appears on every greatest hits package and compilation by the band on every continent, only peaked at #98 in the U.S... until being reissued in 1967 and reaching #42.

Doris Troy, the original “Just One Look”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnMZLGnFi3I

The Hollies, “Just One Look” from Top of the Pops (1964)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32VWELcZUMM

Ferry’s version is indeed his own arrangement, unlike any I have heard (the nearest approximation is probably the version by Klaus Nomi, which still keeps the melody and hook). I am embarrassed to admit that even after reading reviews and listening to Taxi dozens of times, it just didn’t “sink in” that “Just One Look” was the same song as the familiar hit by the Hollies.

For all intents and purposes we can say that Ferry deconstructed this song, taking it apart and reassembling it the way Picasso took apart violins in his cubist paintings… the pieces are present and separate, either visible or implied. It is the same song as that by Troy and the Hollies, yet it isn’t…

Towards that end, Ferry deserves credit for arranging skills...

Dr. Weber

25. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

Me too, it just didn't click, I thought it was a different song with the same title. I think I heard the Hollies version by chance one day, a couple of years after Taxi; I hadn't heard it in years and realised the opening line was the same as Ferry's. I was amazed it was the same song.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.