The Byrds… Need advice regarding their albums

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MHP, Jul 27, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Rhett Thomas

John Rhett Thomas Forum Resident

Another thumbs up for the "first five." Maybe start with the first two. Both great albums with lots of Gene Clark. Then try Fifth Dimension, which is the last to feature Gene on only one track (but it's "Eight Miles High", their greatest single, IMO). It's a great album that points the way to the next two. Then if you continue to dig it, get the next two. Hillman steps forward as an equal to McGuinn and Crosby. And, of course, Sweetheart... Take it easy, take it slow, savor them...

After all that, you should know for yourself if you want to continue or not. The albums are a little more uneven, but there are some great songs to be found.

emmodad, bonus and Chrome_Head like this.
  2. This. After this it gets very spotty although Sweetheart, Untitled and Easy Rider are terrific.

3. TonyG

TonyG Forum Resident

The first album I owned was “Turn, Turn, Turn” in whatever year it was released. The Byrds were also my first concert experience. They, more than any other band, have been the soundtrack to my life. For what it’s worth, here are the albums I listen to most often.

Mr. Tambourine Man
    Notorious Byrd Brothers
    Younger than Yesterday
    Turn, Turn, Turn
    Ballad of a Easy Rider
    Sweetheart of the Rodeo
    Various Sanctuary releases

I seldom listen to:
    Byrds (reunion)
    5D
    Dr. Byrd and Mr. Hyde
    Preflyte
    Never Before

Can’t remember the last time I’ve listened to the remains three albums. (years?)

I’d suggest getting the two record set, The Columbia Singles ‘65 -‘67, in mono.

If you’re interested, Johnny Rogan’s multi-volume Timeless Flight is a great biography of the band.

extravaganza likes this.
  4. linklinc

linklinc Forum Resident

The first 6!
    Start with "The Notorious Byrd Brothers" & "Younger Than Yesterday"! Their crowning achievements!!

Then those previous, first three, albums & finally "Sweetheart Of The Rodeo"- but get the Deluxe reissue double album/CD as it has all the restored Gram Parsons vocals & more, non-album, Gram goodies too!

5. Two Sheds

Two Sheds Sha La La La Lee

First five. That was easy.

ronbow and rockerreds like this.
  6. Hall Cat

Hall Cat Senior Member

I disagree

zobalob, emmodad and bonus like this.
  7. Hoyt

Hoyt Forum Resident

Thought that entire album was good, with one or maybe two song exceptions. Would definitely like to have heard more of that type music.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  8. chickendinna

chickendinna Homegrown’s All Right With Me

[​IMG]

I purchased this for about $40 bucks( maybe less) about 5 years ago. This boxset gives you pretty much the whole Byrds enchilada. I gotten a lot of enjoyment out of this piece and I listen to it regularly.

9. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Yes, Untitled is wonderful. A different band with a different sound, but also bursting with creativity.

Chestnut Mare us probaythe best known/loved song of the post Sweetheart era, and Lover if the Bayou is possibly the best one.

emmodad, bonus and Michael like this.
  10. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

yes a most strong album...for me anyway. ; )

bRETT likes this.
  11. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

yes, those to songs are not highlights of the album. : ) but they don't detract...IMO...then again I love the album.

12. idleracer

idleracer Forum Resident

:kilroy: A "Preflyte" CD is also a good investment. This Rhino release was well mastered:

Byrds / For Me Again

jricc, DISKOJOE and rockerreds like this.
  13. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

Easiest question in the history of SHF.

Buy the first five albums: Mr. Tambourine Man, Turn! Turn! Turn!, Fifth Dimension, Younger Than Yesterday and The Notorious Byrd Brothers. Done!

I'm not even going to read any other recommendations here. I understand tastes can differ, blah, blah, blah. The later albums have their fans, and there are some worthy tracks on all of them.

But there is no other answer to your question other than the one above. (And if you're truly interested in buying *Byrds* albums, you should know that Roger McGuinn is on record as saying that, in retrospect, a new name for the band should have been chosen after the fifth album. And he's right.)

DISKOJOE likes this.
  14. Mju-Sick

Mju-Sick Throatwobbler Mangrove a.k.a. Raymond Luxury Yacht

To me, Byrds is Tambourine man to Sweetheart. After that... naaah... not my cupof tea

15. Paul Saldana

Paul Saldana jazz vinyl addict

‘Sweetheart’ is my favorite, maybe ‘Younger Than Yesterday’ after that. ‘Byrds Sing Dylan’ is good fun if you don’t mind it having uneven SQ (a common problem w/ compilations)

16. rkt88

rkt88 The unknown soldier

most terrific groundbreaking bands have lp's 1 and 2 as benchmarks. the byrds were different in that regard.

i would go with the first 4 at least. i can't remember if sweethearts is past lp's 4? i think, pretty sure it is lol. but definitely grab that too.

'twas a seminal melding of stuff.

17. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

Sadly the album is not this good, there are many duds on it, including the terrible closing medley that for some reason includes “My Back Pages” again. Dr Byrds & Mr Hyde was meant to be a melding of rock and country of sorts. But Gene Parsons wasn’t particularly a rock guy.

18. rkt88

rkt88 The unknown soldier

you should see the "mask" my pop had made with them for the cover. i think everyone was a bit "confused". was a bit too "ritualistic" for my taste.

i need to post that in the "creepiest ever" thread.

zobalob, extravaganza and Chrome_Head like this.
  19. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll Thread Starter

Guys, you are great!
    I will follow the advices here and lay my hand on the first 6 albums + ‘Untitled’.
    What’s the consensus on which vinyl pressings to get? Is the vinyl reissues worth it?
    How about vintage reissues?

rkt88 and Man at C&A like this.
  20. Sgt. Abbey Road

Sgt. Abbey Road Forum Resident

Must haves
    • Mr. Tambourine Man
    • Younger Than Yesterday
    • The Notorious Byrd Brothers
    • Sweetheart Of The Rodeo

Further listening
    • Turn! Turn! Turn!
    • Fifth Dimension
    • Ballad Of Easy Rider
    • (Untitled)

For fans only
    • Dr. Byrds & Mr. Hyde
    • Byrdmaniax
    • Farther Along
    • Byrds

TomNYC and MHP like this.
  21. Sgt. Abbey Road

I also would buy the „History Of The Byrds“ compilation because it includes the essential songs „She Don’t Care About Time“ and „Lady Friend“ that were not released on an album. My European pressing from the early 70s sounds great:)

tonyballz and MHP like this.
  22. MHP

What’s your opinion on Sweetheart and Untitled (both are highly regarded by many fans)

Sgt. Abbey Road likes this.
  23. wwaldmanfan

wwaldmanfan Born In The 50's

Are you asking the member who already dismissed all their later material? This band evolved, with significant personnel changes, and their music changed. While the first iteration of the group was the most seminal, that era is rooted in the 1960's, and sounds dated.
    The country stuff with Gram Parsons, as well as the later material with Clarence White and Gene Parsons, has much appeal, but if you don't like country, then it's not for you. These days, I listen to the later albums much more often than the earlier stuff, but I agree that there are some clunkers in there. But, you could easily distill Byrdmaniax and Farther Along down to one great album.

24. Sgt. Abbey Road

Listen to this song! I think it represents the album very well:)

TonyG and rockerreds like this.
  25. MHP

I do, because I would like to compare his opinions with those of others. Anyway, thanks for your suggestions. :)

Sgt. Abbey Road likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.