The Byrds: song by song thread (1965-67) and beyond! *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Hombre, Feb 1, 2019.

1. zobalob

zobalob Senior Member

Several Byrds songs on the album, check out the playlist on YouTube.
    5 of the 13 tracks :>)

2. zobalob

zobalob Senior Member

3. zobalob

zobalob Senior Member

4. zobalob

zobalob Senior Member

5. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

If you read the Chris Hjorts book and read between the lines of the reviews of concerts and McGuinn interviews from that time, this would make sense. Roger comes off as aloof at times or arrogant, maybe a little self absorbed. Nothing is talked about as far as his personal life at this time in the book but maybe what was going personally accounts for the perspective that people had on him at this time.

6. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Wasn't Skip fired around the time it was compiled or shortly after its release?

Regardless, I don't think the fact that a very good song (Gunga Din) was omitted is sufficient reason to conclude the omission was based on spite. Many good songs were omitted. Gunga Din was not a single a or b side like the two Battin tracks. It's hard to figure the logic behind some of the choices made for this record.

7. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

I think Skip was on better terms than Gene with Roger when let go...I'm going to compile my Best of Vol 2.

8. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

Funny, as all the tracks are credited to two performers, but "What's Happening?!?" is the only one credited solely to Jakob Dylan on Spotify.

My local Arclight theater is showing this doc and I do want to see it, but it seems like the kind of thing Netflix/Amazon Prime was made for.

9. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

Here's my Best of Byrds Volume 2 compilation...nothing before Notorious Byrd Brothers

Side 1
    You Ain't Going Nowhere
    Ballad of Easy Rider
    Wasn't Born to Follow
    Drugstore Truck Drivin Man
    This Wheel's on Fire
    Side 2
    Chestnut Mare
    Truck Stop Girl
    Gunga Din
    Jesus is Just Alright
    I Wanna Grow Up (to be a Politician)

The other big problem that the the Best of Byrds Vol 2 has is the cover they chose...half the songs don't feature some of them. I would pick a different cover for sure.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
  10. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

Yes, when is it coming out on Netflix/amazon?

11. MarcS

MarcS Forum Resident

Clarence does some great playing on the last minute of this (it sounds like he's playing Black Mountain Rag) but its buried under the harmonica and fiddle. The lack of guitar on this album by Roger and Clarence always puzzled me.

Ma Kelly and The MEZ like this.
  12. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

I think you're right that Skip left on better terms than Gene. Roger actually played on Skip's 1973 solo album, and he certainly didn't on Gene's. On the other hand though, it is telling that Roger chose to fire Skip at a point when he knew the band was going to break up, and was just finishing some final tour commitments. Why even bother firing him at that point? Why not let him play out the string? That suggests there was either some animosity, or loss of confidence in Skip's abilities, or something.

But I don't think Roger's feelings about the guys influenced the compilation of Best of Volume 2. Another notable thing is that there are no Clarence-sung tracks, even though Roger really liked Clarence.
    That is definitely a better tracklist. But it would be hard not to come up with a better one. Even random selection would likely generate a better one.

13. MarcS

MarcS Forum Resident

They should have found a place for Goin Back.

14. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

I left that off purposely...it sounds too 'old byrds' like Volume 1 Byrds and it wasn't a must have anyway so I left it off, plus it doesn't fit the overall countryish late byrds sound on my comp

15. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

Maybe Lover of the Bayou could have made it too.

16. Ma Kelly

Ma Kelly Senior Member

A1 Space Odyssey
    A2 The Christian Life
    A3 Child of the Universe
    A4 Medley: My Back Pages / BJ Blues / Baby What You Want Me to Do
    A5 Lay Lady Lay
    A6 Armstrong, Aldrins and Collins
    B1 Well Come Back Home
    B2 Tunnel of Love
    B3 Citizen Kane
    B4 I Wanna Grow Up to Be a Politican
    B5 B.B. Class Road
    B6 So Fine

Yep, I think that'd be my Best of Vol 2.

kevinsinnott likes this.
  17. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

We all have different tastes;)

18. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

Best Of Vol 2:

A1 Bad Night At The Whiskey
    A2 Truck Stop Girl
    A3 Fido
    A4 Chestnut Mare
    A5 King Apathy III
    A6 Jesus Is Just Alright
    /
    B1 Lover Of The Bayou (live)
    B2 Take A Whiff
    B3 Drug Store Truck Driving Man
    B4 Hungry Planet
    B5 Ballad Of Easy Rider
    B6 This Wheel's On Fire

19. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

When did vol 1 go through?

20. MarcS

MarcS Forum Resident

I'd put on more singles and tracks that gained fame elsewhere like Drug Store etc. Lay Lady Lay would add value as a non lp track but it sucks so I veto it
    Best of Vol 2
    A1 Goin Back
    A2 Wasn't Born to Follow
    A3 You Ain't Goin Nowhere
    A4 Hickory Wind
    A5 Old Blue
    A6 Drug Store Truck Driving Man

B1 Ballad of Easy Rider
    B2 Jesus is Just All Right
    B3 Lover of the Bayou
    B4 Chestnut Mare
    B5 I Trust
    B6 Bugler

TeddyB and kevinsinnott like this.
  21. MarcS

MarcS Forum Resident

It ended at Younger than Yesterday. It should have included She Don't Care About Time I think.

Rfreeman likes this.
  22. kevinsinnott

kevinsinnott Forum Coffeeologist

Sadly, the oft-told tale of life in the world of art and entertainment. Tell-all books from ex-spouses should be read with somewhat of a raised eyebrow, but I admit I was disturbed with some of it. Easy to judge though, and in that time and place, we were all being advised to experiment and scale new heights of self-indulgence.

However, lots of art has been created under such circumstances.

23. Ma Kelly

Ma Kelly Senior Member

Is Delores Tickner's book worth reading then? I mean, is it actually well written and actually interesting?

24. Byrdman77

Byrdman77 Forum Resident

I found it extremely interesting as it covers the whole of The Byrds career, she was there with Roger from day one. My only criticism of the book is that it has many many diary entries of her life as a single mother towards the end that kind of derails it. This is HER story though, not a book about Roger or The Byrds, so I respect her decisions.

I found it very touching that Roger cried the first time he listened to CSNY's Helpless, there are lots of illuminating passages on Gram Parsons too and if you are a Star Wars fan like myself you will find the stories involving their carpenter, a certain Harrison Ford, captivating!!! My two worlds collided in this book with some of the revelations there....

Ma Kelly and Chrome_Head like this.
  25. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

It’s ok - some background that you will find new - but not great by any means