The Byrds: song by song thread (1965-67) and beyond! *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Hombre, Feb 1, 2019.

1. Hombre

Hombre Forum Resident Thread Starter

I agree it's not a proper country rock song. The countrish tint is just given by the origin of the song rather than the actual recording. I think the first true proto-country rock songs by the Byrds were Hillman's "Time Between" and "The Girl With No Name".

The MEZ and czeskleba like this.
  2. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

That may be true, but I can't imagine why this track would make the cut over several other far superior recordings they had available, if it was not because Hillman pushed for it. He was a quiet guy but he apparently had something of a hair-trigger temper back then. Maybe in this case he stood up for himself? Perhaps the double motivation of keeping Hillman happy and preventing Gene from getting too much royalty money worked for McGuinn?

3. MarcS

MarcS Forum Resident

Even according to the albums own liner notes there were some dust ups in the studio. I think we all can agree that for this album to maximize its potential, it would have had way more Gene Clark on it than what we got, and I guess that wasn't palatable to the majority.

4. Clarkophile

Clarkophile Through the Morning, Through the Night

In a timely coincidence, Crosby gave this response to a fan’s question. While I knew he would never deign to mention a Gene Clark song, I thought for sure he’d choose one of the Dylan covers.

[​IMG]

5. MarcS

MarcS Forum Resident

I'm not surprised; it stayed in the setlist his whole tenure; I think by 5D he was over doing Dylan songs and massively trashed the band choice in doing My Back Pages which he viewed as a step backwards.

6. Clarkophile

I think the more significant takeaway is that he didn’t name a song written by any other member of the band.

Fields&Lanes and czeskleba like this.
  7. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

A fine cover of this country waltz. Great playing all around and harmonies as well.

vanhooserd and The MEZ like this.
  8. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

Tambourine accentuates the lyrics.
    Works.

9. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

Don’t know about the “what if”
    What they did is remarkable, classic, and unforgettable

The MEZ, Hombre and richierichie like this.
  10. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

The JFK lyrics are what makes the song so poignant...
    And the entire purpose of the song.

11. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

Man.
    This song is a slice of heaven...

12. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

McGuinn had an unfortunate tendency towards obvious broad lyrics like that. It was good he didnt write many lyrics for the Byrds.

13. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

McGuinn did rewrite the lyrics though, and took a "trad. arr by" credit. And the song seems to have been a favorite of McGuinn's that he seemed to kind of view as "his" song. So this could be a veiled attempt to kiss McGuinn's a$$ without being obvious. I mean, if Crosby named "Mr. Spaceman" as his favorite everyone would know he was being disingenuous.

Another interesting thing is that the song espouses a viewpoint that Crosby apparently doesn't agree with... "from a sixth floor window, a gunman shot him down" doesn't exactly comport with "He was not killed by one man. He was shot from a number of different directions - by different guns."

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
  14. Clarkophile

Well, okay, yes, that's true. Thanks. Incidentally, he is still actively pushing the conspiracy theory.

czeskleba likes this.
  15. Ma Kelly

Ma Kelly Senior Member

Maybe the band just liked this song? I know I do and as much as I'd love to have seen She Don't Care About Time on the album, I wouldn't want to bump this song for any other song they may have had at the time - this and He Was a Friend of Mine work really well at breaking the potential monotony of relentless 12-string jangle. Is it the greatest Byrds song? No, but it works really well in the context of the album.

MarcS likes this.
  16. Hombre

If You're Gone. A delightful love ballad, another courtesy from Clark's pen. I love the droning effect given by the backing harmonies. The incisive guitar playing completes the trip. Another high point of the album.

17. idleracer

idleracer Forum Resident

:kilroy: A pleasant, if unspectacular waltz. I think it could've used a genuine bridge instead of just an instrumental break with McGuinn picking away in one speaker and Crosby strumming away in the other. That part just sort of sounds like another verse in which Gene forgot to add vocals.

18. Hombre

I think economized melody serves the lyrics here. It's like a collection of sweet statements that shouldn't be interrupted by a distracting bridge.

Carl LaFong and Dylancat like this.
  19. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

20. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

A jewel.
    A real jewel.
    Mesmerizing, haunting, visceral..
    Extremely touching vocals by Clark.
    .... the vocal drone accompaniment makes this otherworldly and cerebral...
    The guitars build within the song, adding dynamic tension...
    An incredible arrangement and performance.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
  21. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

So right.
    A bridge would throw the song completely off its intent...

Hombre likes this.
  22. Rose River Bear

If You're Gone

A fantastic meld of R and B and Country. One of Gene's simpler songs harmonically. A touch of Mixolydian mode adds some regret and doubt. The drone harmonies and the waltz time add a touch of classical music as well. The word "If" begins each verse line. Gene's vocals are fantastic. McGuinn is as great as usual and does not get too busy. He knows just when to give Gene space in the verse and the outro.

The drone underscores the lyrics perfectly. The lyrics well...….they are heart wrenching and in the top of the list for me as far as Gene's lyrics go.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
  23. Rose River Bear

You are so right as well as @Hombre. A bridge in the song would make no sense at all. Each line of verse begins with "if". A bridge would dissipate the thrust of the lyrics and of the droning quality IMO. A contrasting section would only as you said, throw the song off it's intent.

Hombre and Dylancat like this.
  24. Rose River Bear

One I forgot to mention.
    A fine cover IMO. A great mix of folk (harmonies) and country. I love those country fills McGuinn plays channeling Carl Perkins. The Byrds vast influences shine thru on this one. I might have been able to do without the Dylanesque harmonica in the end though.

Hombre likes this.
  25. Rose River Bear

I can't say I agree with that. Listen to McGuinn's guitar fills. They are pure country. The melody is as well. Can't escape the country in that melody the way it hits on the tonic at the tail. The triple meter as well. But as you said, they are part and parcel in the original. Just sayin......

Hombre likes this.