The Capitol Melrose Studios

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonnie, May 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lonnie

Lonnie New Member Thread Starter

Hi all -

I wonder if anyone out there has any fairly detailed information regarding the original Capitol Records studios on Melrose near Gower? The building is currently empty (soon to be taken over for Paramount offices) and I happen to have the privlidge of having access to it. I've walked around in there but can't make much of it as it has been heavily modified since then. There is one long, thick control room window that looks out onto about a 20x20 room which looks like it could be an original layout for one of the studios. Trying to figure out roof access to see if the echo chambers might still be there.

Anyway - anyone have a clue as to what the original internal layout was??

Thanks -

Lonnie
    :wave:

bluejimbop likes this.
  2. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

I talked with engineer John Palladino about that window once. I *think* he mentioned that it separated a room to where they had lathes, but I wouldn't swear to it. Let me think about this...

Please let me know if you can get to the echo chambers. I wish I was closer - I'd love to tour that place. Could you possibly take/post some pictures, especially if you can get up there?

bluejimbop likes this.
  3. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

Melrose and Gower--is that in the building that was formerly Smalls, the bar? i had many a late night at Smalls 10+ years ago. at one time the best watering hole in LA, IMHO.

art likes this.
  4. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

The address is 5515 Melrose Avenue. It was a TV station for a while, and then I believe a radio station again. I didn't realize it was currently vacant. I hope Paramount doesn't destroy the echo chambers or whatever little is left of when Capitol was there.

I'd love to go up to the echo chamber and hear my voice bounce off its walls.

5. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

6. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

A little tidbit: During Capitol's years at 5515 Melrose, KHJ-TV/AM/FM was situated at 1313 North Vine Street - which had been a Mutual Radio studio, later one of the Hollywood studios owned by ABC where some of their TV shows originated.

7. rmos

rmos Forum Resident

This DVD has several minutes of color footage shot inside the Melrose studios.

http://tinyurl.com/2sdlgc

It's fascinating!

8. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Yes, I got it after you posted about the disc before. It's great!

9. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

I can't believe the building is still standing, especially with LA's pathetic reputation for historic preservation. Is it landmarked? Any outside photos available?

dan c

10. Lonnie

Hi all -

I'll try to post some pics here shortly, inside and out. Don't think the building was ever a bar nor does it seem to have any kind of historic landmark protection, unfortunately. I'm hoping the chambers are still on the roof but - we'll see!

Thanks all -

Lonnie:righton:

11. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

From Chuck Granata's Sessions With Sinatra :

12. Lonnie

Cool Mike - thanks. Nickodell's is gone, unfortunately. I think Paramount gobbled up that space for parking some years ago. Lucy's is still there and open across the street. I'll include a shot of that with the other pics here shortly.

Lonnie

13. Lonnie

Make that Martin - sorry.

14. Lonnie

And Your Dreams Come True

Ok - just back from the building. Took a bunch of pictures which I'll post later. And.....I'm delighted to report - the echo chambers are still there!!!!!!! :goodie: One was full of boxes and stuff, the other almost empty save for a few computer rack type thingies. I sang a few bars of "Just One Of Those Things" in that one. Couldn't get the full effect since the door to the room was off - but - I can report it had a nice, bright sound. My hands were shaking so much I had trouble snapping pictures!

More later -

Lonnie

:goodie: :goodie: :goodie: :goodie: :goodie: :goodie:

Ere likes this.
  15. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

I hope you checked those boxes for things like "missing" master tapes!?!?!?!

Looking forward to the pictures.

bluejimbop likes this.
  16. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Great to hear!

17. W.B.

As I said . . . KHJ in those years (1949-56) was at 1313 N. Vine. They went back to Melrose after Capitol moved into the Tower.

18. Ridin'High

Ridin'High Forum Resident

Saddest old thread of them all ... no photos were ever posted!

:waiting:

Well, since it's been about 6 years, maybe it's time to ask: what's the building's current situation? Did Paramount do unspeakable things to it?

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 16, 2013
    Ere, MMM and Bob F like this.
  19. DLant

DLant The Upstate Gort Staff

I wonder happened to Lonnie. Too bad he never posted those pictures.

20. W.B.

From what I've gathered, Decca's old studios next door at 5505 Melrose Avenue (which, by 1967, were owned by a different company that recorded, among other things, Brenton Wood's big hit "Gimme Little Sign") didn't fare so well, having been torn down many years ago and a parking lot put up in its place. But if based on Google Maps and street views, the old Capitol Melrose studio building is indeed still around.

21. Dugan

Dugan Senior Member

It appears that 5505 Melrose is now a Paramount parking lot.

22. YooperGlen

YooperGlen Forum Resident

23. MIKEFF

MIKEFF New Member

There is an incredible color film from 1952 which shows the Melrose studio in all it's former glory.
    Find it at jazzvideo.com under Capitol Records Promo 1951

bluejimbop likes this.
  24. Jon and Este Welch

Jon and Este Welch New Member

My husband's uncle, Frank Kennedy, was the Chief Engineer of KHJ Radio in around the mid to late 1940's. I don't know the exact history but I believe it was somehow related to Don Lee Broadcasting. He left some pretty interesting things behind such as some audio discs of Xavier Cugat from 1946. They have markings on them that may be from editing to broadcast.

MMM and Steve Hoffman like this.
  25. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.