New Rhino Audiophile series announced: High Fidelity (inc. The Cars, John Coltrane) *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by notjhill, May 17, 2023.

1. notjhill

notjhill Forum Resident Thread Starter

Rhino and Kevin Gray announced a new audiophile series. Pressed @ Optimal, AAA, and cut by KPG. First two titles are The Cars S/T and Coltrane's Sound. Will be announced this Friday. An absolute pleasure to meet Kevin Gray.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Hmm. The Cars S/T. I have an original LP somewhere in LA, a CD from 1983, a DCC Gold CD from 1993 and a recent colored vinyl from the box set cut by Ryan K Smith.

Well . . . . OK, I'll buy it.

3. Chakana

Chakana Forum Resident

Coltrane's Sound

:pineapple:

4. bibijeebies

bibijeebies vinyl hairline spotter

So, apart from Kevin Gray on the right who are the people in the picture?

George P, McLover and kt66brooklyn like this.
  5. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Pretty exciting.

Dylan Terhune and hi_watt like this.
  6. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

Well this is a really positive development!:)

7. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

I'm surprised Rhino would even care about audiophile quality sound from all the remastered reissues of iconic bands like Chicago's 2002 CTA reamaster where all they did was apply a limiter to make it louder.

Let's hope they don't convince Kevin Gray to do the same.

8. Technocentral

Technocentral Forum Resident

Add the word "Audiophile" to any releases and you can double (or more) the price. Id be happier if there was more effort put into standard priced vinyl releases.

9. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

Have the BG-cut reissue of Coltrane’s Sound, so likely won’t spring for that again but PLEASE Kevin do a stereo cut of Ole’ Coltrane!!!

Archtop, Pelts, Soulsanista and 23 others like this.
  10. monovinyl

monovinyl Senior Member

Great news!

abzach likes this.
  11. Chakana

Chakana Forum Resident

That would be great! Which labels are available for Rhino to do? Sorry if this is obvious...

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  12. mcwlod

mcwlod Outside Looking In

Great news, especially Coltrane's Sound, as this is one of my favorite Coltrane's album. "Ole" in stereo would be superb as well!

Wonder if "Raw Power" gonna get audiophile treatment as well? :D

13. ejluther

ejluther Forum Resident

Of course I just bought the MOFI Cars S/T LP - I wonder how it will stack up to this one?

Score17, AnalogJ, Nephrodoc and 3 others like this.
  14. jgrillo

jgrillo Forum Resident

This is interesting; what changes here? Rhino are already responsible for a lion's share of the best-pressed, best-mastered, most affordable AAA reissues in the last 20 years. Many mastered by either Kevin Grey, Bernie Grundman, Chris Bellman, and Doug Sax (before he passed).

Maybe the way they are marketed and released, like the Tone Poet/Blue Note Classic series, Acoustic Sounds/Impulse-Verve Series, Craft/OJCSeries, etc? Two a month or so? Maybe a bump in price (I hope not to that $38 price point...)? They have access to the Warner and Atlantic Catalogs, among others...could be very exciting!

gingerly, bmoc79, Satrus and 16 others like this.
  15. dasacco

dasacco Senior Member

This sounds a lot like the series that was started in 2007/8. In fact @Steve Hoffman had announced it, saying he and Kevin were going to be doing lots of remasters for them.

I can't find the thread (maybe it's gone?) but the series did get started. Joni Mitchell's Blue, ZZ Top Tres Hombres and Fandango, Rickie Lee Jones, Van Morrison's Street Choir and Moondance and of course the 45 RPM Fleetwood Mac Rumours were all part if it at the time, maybe more.

Here's the thread on Blue:

So, how do you like the new WB/Rhino RICKIE LEE JONES and ZZ TOP FANDANGO LP's?

16. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

Coltrane's Sound... wow. Sign me up. Had been considering springing for Heavyweight Champion, but some individual Atlantic Coltrane albums changes things, if well-done.

Unfortunately, if this is being called "audiophile," that probably means a $30+ price point, even if nothing else is actually different from the usual (high standard) Rhino reissues.

ksmitty, BrokenByAudio, marcb and 3 others like this.
  17. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

I like this very much.

kt66brooklyn and notjhill like this.
  18. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

19. dolstein

dolstein Senior Member

So are they going to be pressed on 180g vinyl and feature Stoughton tip-on jackets? If I'm going to be charged a premium price, I think it's reasonable to expect not only a AAA mastering chain (check) and a top notch mastering engineer (check), but also premium vinyl and premium packaging.

As other people have noted, Rhino has been down this road before. I expect Rhino to abandon this project prematurely, as they've done countless times before. I presume Chad's just too busy, but this seems like the kind of project that would be tailor-made for Acoustic Sounds. And the Rhino calaogue is so deep, this could easily have done multiple audiophile reissue series devoted to rock, soul, and jazz.

joshm2286, Kundalini, Bill_H and 4 others like this.
  20. DolphinsIntheJacuzzi

DolphinsIntheJacuzzi Forum Resident

I only have a standard CD (although I have the DCC gold disc of The Cars Greatest Hits, and it sounds fantastic) and a standard early vinyl pressing. This would be welcome.

21. I haven't been dialed in lately but wasn't Kevin going to launch his own label? Is this what was being referred to or just what ended up happening? Either way, he's the busiest man in the business!

22. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

OLE COLTRANE PLEASE

Also Kevin did a phenomenal job with Curtis Mayfield Live & America Today — would love to see Sweet Exorcist next

23. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

Why can’t it just go to 10, and make that louder?

24. 420JJJazz666

420JJJazz666 Hasta Siempre, Comandante

Doesn't he run both New Land (reissues) and Cohearant (new recordings done in his studio)?