New Rhino Audiophile series announced: High Fidelity (inc. The Cars, John Coltrane) *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by notjhill, May 17, 2023.

1. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I don’t get that; if these are remasters how can they have the same catalog number? Even back in the day, when reissued pressings came out of pre-existing albums, they were given new catalog numbers (unless I’m confusing things).

2. Vinyl Junkie

Vinyl Junkie Forum Resident

Its boring, but then again, its just a label. Its the sound and whether you enjoy the music that matters.

Last edited: May 26, 2023
  3. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

I totally get that. But a lot of the original art is amazing, and iconic. Pink Island? Columbia Six eye? Vertigo Swirl?
    Over time, it feels like less and less effort went into it with later reissues.

So if a reissue label actually did something cool that wasn't just cheap and phoning it in, maybe people would generally
    appreciate it more, even if it wasn't the original.

ARK and mne563 like this.
  4. MemoInPR

MemoInPR Señor Memo

5. I’m with ya boss.

I even think it’s dangerous that all these new Beatles remixes from the last few years, don’t specifically call that out. Say this is a remix on the outside cover and label.

6. JFSebastion

JFSebastion Forum Resident

You know KG
    I get mine tomorrow. It's at local post office. Saturday night, let the Good Times Roll.

pierre168 likes this.
  7. JFSebastion

Sorry Steve, thought I deleted that start of a thread. My bad.

8. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I’m off to grab a copy of my dictionary to look up “audiophile.” I’ll report back with my findings.

Sorry, I had to laugh at that one! :laugh:

Walter Ruben likes this.
  9. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

Is there a picture of this Rhino label?

10. Xander2017

Xander2017 Forum Resident

I'm sorry if you've posted about the LP already, but how was the packaging and condition of the vinyl?
    Also, how does it sound?

Thanks!

hi_watt and JFSebastion like this.
  11. JFSebastion

Both the Mac 33 and 45 are Killer.

12. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

The problem for me is that - at least how I interpreted their own presser - one of Rhino’s goals is to visually evoke the “golden age of the LP”
    So putting a generic 2020’s label design on albums from the 1960’s/70’s entirely conflicts with achieving that. Same for OBIs and foil stamped numbers. I have no problems with any of these things on face value, but I take one look at them and the overall appearance is only evocative of 2020’s collectibles.
    The target demo for this sort of thing is ultimately a bunch of detail oriented obsessive-compulsive types, so if the albums are produced in a manner directly contradictory to the way they’re being marketed, it’s going to rub some of these collector nerds the wrong way.

Of course, repro labels never entirely look like the real deal either, but at least they provide a somewhat era-appropriate design matched to the recording’s original release. IMO going that route would be more in line with the stated goals of this series.

davenav and TwiceFan like this.
  13. BS101

BS101 Iommic Life Complete

While you're at it, look up red herring.

14. Jasonbraswell

Jasonbraswell Vinylphile

Golden Age Of The LP

Original Master Recording

Hot Stampers

I'm sure there's more I can't think of currently.
    This stuff is pretty comical:laugh:

15. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

[​IMG]

16. DrZhivago

DrZhivago Hedonist

They had me at "Hot Stampers".

jimhb likes this.
  17. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

It's kind of interesting that the Labels (brands) don't seem to continue the feeling the originals had,
    and update art with something sympathetic ( if they don't want to clone the old ones.)
    Atlantic changed colour combinations many times, how about using a new combination for the 2020's?

The choice here with the High Fidelity Series is they're really substituting the branding
    of the Series for that of the record Label (a la Mofi). I guess it's just my old-school sensibility remembering
    the time when record labels brand image used to mean something more than today when
    all it does is identify which wing of the corporation the Brand is being shuffled off to....

MrRom92 likes this.
  18. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Any reviews/comparisons yet?

Joti Cover likes this.
  19. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

Any revelations?

20. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

You talking about The ‘In’ Groove? You don’t need the membership to buy records from us. The membership gets you a 10% discount on everything (including RSD titles), plus access to used LPs on the website. And then there’s also a 10% discount on the used stuff, too. For the people who are dropping hundreds of bucks a month, it’s a huge money saver. Any questions?

ARK, FunkJazz, mne563 and 3 others like this.
  21. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Personally, I don't care about labels or the cover that much. It's all about the music, mastering and pressing for me. I do understand why people would prefer original labels. They just look cooler, and a nice jacket looks cooler too, and feels nicer in the hands.

Joti Cover, ejluther, Jrr and 3 others like this.
  22. superstar19

superstar19 Authentic By Nature

Thanks for posting. I'm on team replicate original label, but that's a rather tastefully done label.

BuyMeVinyl, bajaed, Jrr and 5 others like this.
  23. JFSebastion

Sports car red rally stripes

bajaed, Joti Cover, Jrr and 3 others like this.
  24. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

I agree. Looks good

BuyMeVinyl, Joti Cover, OE3 and 2 others like this.
  25. hi_watt

hi_watt The Road Warrior

Apologies for the brief review, as I am typing it from my phone.
    Both the packaging and condition are great, considering the minimal outer carboard shipping box. I am definitely going to wet vac the record, even though it played clean out of the sleeve. The jacket and obi look nice.
    Soundwise, this new one has a more balanced presentation, where the hot cymbals have been tamed to where they sound just right. The vocals are more focused to me, and the guitars have a more natural crunch.