New Rhino Audiophile series announced: High Fidelity (inc. The Cars, John Coltrane) *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by notjhill, May 17, 2023.

1. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

Small dead wax, I already like it a lot! Yeah, yeah, inner groove distortion but give me those dynamics! It might actually be analogue.

The label kind of looks like a design from the 1950's, I don't mind it.

2. JFSebastion

JFSebastion Forum Resident

Ben, it's mind numbing how hard it is for some people to understand the Gold Membership advantage. Earlier somebody was trying to mix Mike's What-not selling with the Gold Membership. I give up.

Ben Adams likes this.
  3. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

It's kind of shyster-esque.

4. JFSebastion

It really isn't. It's straight up good for the buyer that spends a lot on records. I don't myself, but if you spend 150.00 on records, from there on out it's a 10% discount on all your purchases. At the 150.00 mark the one time payment, pays for itself. I simply don't spend enough on records that often. However at today's prices that's about 4 records.

ARK, Ben Adams and mne563 like this.
  5. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

Average retail for an album in 1978 was $7.32, meaning a lot of albums were still retailing at $6.98. Competition among record stores meant that you almost never had to pay retail. You could probably have grabbed that album for about $5.50 without much trouble. That's $25.59 today.

JeffreyB and Glenn coates like this.
  6. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Yeah, you have spend a $150 just to break even. A big problem with theingroove is that their stock is very limited. I wanted to get Miles in the Sky from them but no go. MD, AS, and ED all had it in stock.

Walter Ruben and CryptoSurfer like this.
  7. JFSebastion

That's part of what Kevin did for Sabbath's Paranoid. Can't wait , and mine is scheduled for tomorrow.

hi_watt and Uglyversal like this.
  8. bbanderic

bbanderic Forum Resident

That was a great interview with the Rhino rep and Kevin Gray by Westman, they touched on everything people have been asking about in this thread, highly recommend everyone watch it. Great job Steve Westman!

JFSebastion and hi_watt like this.
  9. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

DMM is great on MOST albums. I'd wager 75-85% of the original pressings I own from '86 through '91 are DMM cuts, and I don't think a single one has been bested by a later reissue. We're talking albums from Iron Maiden, Tom Waits, Metallica, Beastie Boys, The Cure, Prince, The Replacements, Rush.... All sound great to fantastic.
    In fact, three of the best sounding records I own, PERIOD (the WLP of Tracy Chapman, original UK of Tears For Fears' Seeds Of Love, and the common US original of Sting's Nothing Like The Sun) are DMM cuts.

For some reason, there's a bias against DMM that exists here but not really anywhere else. Maybe the demographic here means people are comparing originals from the '60s & '70s to DMM cuts done 20 years after the fact, and assuming all DMMs sound inferior? Just a heads up: Most first pressings are gonna sound better than a cut done decades later by a no-name engineer, regardless of whether DMM is involved.

JFSebastion likes this.
  10. MCM_Fan

MCM_Fan Senior Member

Not sure why you quoted and replied to me as I didn't write the comments you attributed to me.

11. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Forum Resident

You're not really the exception, I don't like reissues doing it either, not to mention cheap scans of original covers, word for word on them as well as catalog #s. The record should stand apart otherwise it really is a boot IMO. What's worse though is when they copy everything old and then press it on color vinyl, and talk about faithfully recreating all the packaging.:crazy:

12. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Forum Resident

Yep like electrical altered for stereo, or digitally remastered in the 80s blazened on the covers. The remixes should state that on the cover, saying it's altered from the original mix.

Mazzy likes this.
  13. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

The MFSL SuperVinyl is much better, IMHO. I performed a shootout between the two and it was pretty clear that the MFSL was the better one.

5-String and Tullman like this.
  14. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

It's kind of funny how vinyl buyers justify current prices based on inflation.

For most products, there are huge efficiencies, pricing economies, and vast improvements over time.

We are not buying 20" B&W tube TVs anymore.

Vinyl, today we are mostly stuck with inferior product and poor pressing quality, at inflated prices.

Gotta love 70-90 year old tech though.

Last edited: May 26, 2023
    ARK and sennj like this.
  15. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

like one of my favorite 80's updates!

[​IMG]

4-2-7 and TwiceFan like this.
  16. I like this too but a question not asked is why only direct sales?

JFSebastion likes this.
  17. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

To be fair, it's probably Photoshop vinyl, and not a photo of the actual cut.

Last edited: May 26, 2023
    MrRom92 likes this.
  18. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

He mentioned one goal of the series was to boost their D2C profile, have more exclusive content to drive traffic.
    I don't really begrudge them for direct sales, the msrp is the msrp. I don't think people ordering Nike shoes
    or anything else from the brand's own website expect it to be cheaper than other retailers.

There is cost infrastructure involved in brands having their own E-commerce sites, they want to do sales to
    make it a viable channel. Craft kept the Small Batch direct only too. My only gripe really is their shipping costs
    are kinda high, and making returns better be really easy.

bbanderic, JRose and struttincool like this.
  19. Plinko

Plinko Senior Member

Thanks for the information. Yes, a question. Why?

Walter Ruben likes this.
  20. JFSebastion

I get this, buts it's not like a gun has been pointed at your head. Just opted out.

21. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Apparently he got the idea from German Mike.

22. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Ouch. All I can say is we order tons of copies of classic jazz reissues as it’s what we’re known for, but we can see full sell thru of 150 copies of something within a night after it’s re-listed on the site. People get their requested restock notifications and mash that order button. It’s overwhelming at our end at times.

JFSebastion likes this.
  23. JFSebastion

And correct me if I'm wrong Ben, but Gold Members get access to the music before regular buyers. Which should preclude being out of a release.

24. struttincool

struttincool Senior Member

I will probably do a dry run before I order anything from them. $48 - I better be able to easily get a nice copy.

DeRosa likes this.
  25. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

As long as Rhino delivers, I couldn’t care less about the labels. It seems as if there’s a new complaint per day since the launch of this series was announced. The only valid one to me is the lack of accessibility/options for those who live outside of the US and want to buy these records.