New Rhino Audiophile series announced: High Fidelity (inc. The Cars, John Coltrane) *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by notjhill, May 17, 2023.

1. Vinylfindco

Vinylfindco The Pressing Matters

Good call, thanks!

DeanoBee and Strat-Mangler like this.
  2. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

So this is an important distinction you're making. I had brought up this issue, as some readers know, with my comparison between the AP The Doors' Strange Days 45rpm and my 'Monarch'-pressed 33. The AP had lots more depth and harmonic complexity, but the Monarch rocked more. The Monarch sounded more punchy, and in some ways, that's what you want in a rock recording. On the other hand, "You're Lost Little Girl" and "Moonlight Drive" were richer and more beguiling (especially since the latter ends one side of the 33, where fidelity is fairly low, while the 45 lacks for nothing).

5-String and Joti Cover like this.
  3. Plinko

Plinko Senior Member

I am going to plead mea culpa on my earlier comments, which were indeed silly. Yes, they took my money and yes, I finally have them a little over two weeks later and yes, I don’t get to see those cool record labels, just this new Rhino Air Jordan version. However, the product is great. First class. The kind of new records worth buying…

I am exceedingly happy with the Coltrane. They improved on my 70s pressing and given the music, it’s a huge win. It’s a bit of a shame, this recording. As for The Cars, seems to have also given me what I wanted. The edge of my early press is softened but the sonics still there. I still love my early press and unlike the Coltrane, will need to go back and have another listen. Just going on memory having listened to these two whilst awaiting the reissues.

As for the MOFI cars, will go back to the isle of misfit pressings. Turning the volume up helps for that one but still a dullard pressing.

4. MOON

MOON Forum Resident

Thanks for the link . I ordered my 1st one from the States which will cost out the ass and probably be all dinged up. I ordered a second copy for me and 1 for a friend of the Cars from the Canadian site today. I wonder how close Cars is to being sold out .

The Canadian site even notifys you when it's shipped it will be interesting to see if the June 3rd Cars from the States arrives before my June 10th order on the Canadian site. The race is on.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2023
  5. Hershiser

Hershiser Forum Resident

No, AP would just shove 3 LPs into a poorly scanned pocket sleeve, see Sarah McLachlan - Mirrorball and Elvis Presley - 24K Hits for examples. And these were way more than $40. :)

Gregalor, JFSebastion and Guildx500 like this.
  6. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Yes, I noticed this too quite often with the original or early pressings vs the audiophile reissues.
    It might have to do with mastering choices or with the fact that analog tape can and does deteriorate over time.
    Sometimes there is a sense of dimensionality in these early fresh tapes that is difficult to revive through mastering when the tapes get old.

On the other hand, many times there is more attention and care given to the reissues and that produces, as you said, a richer tonality and a smoother presentation.
    I played The Cars again and it seems to me that in the KG voices and instruments sound more natural than my Marino copy.
    But the sound of the Marino is more upfront and I think this works great for a record like this.
    KG is great though, don't get me wrong, but I still do not know which one of the two I prefer.

7. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Forum Resident

Actually I like the large pocket sleeves for three records far more than a three fold cover that's clumsy as hell when handling it.

Pretty sure I have every pressing of Sarah McLachlan - Mirrorball from Classic Records Clarity Test pressing on 6 disc 45 rpm in a box as well as their test pressing 33.3 rpm, two disc with gatefold cover. The AP 45 RPM, three disc and the MOV 2 LP 33.3 in a gatefold that just copied what Classic did.

The AP has clearly the best color, sheen and print quality, the MOV has the best proportions but with only two records.
    In order left to right MOV, AP, CR
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

When reaching for this album on vinyl I always grab the AP for SQ and ease of use. So to nit pick AP for opting to do a single large sleeve for three records really is stretching it when this title never had a factory pressing in the first place. Every record that come out for this title is working from a CD size scan and have to try and make it fit right. Personally I'm glad I don't have to deal with a box or a three fold cover.

I don't think I even need to address 24K, your trying to find fault with AP when it's just not there.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2023
  8. Hershiser

Hershiser Forum Resident

You put them on the pedestal by saying they would never replicate the inner sleeve on an album that was not originally a gatefold, I was just showing they have had their growing pains along the way as well (and years to figure it out).

DeanoBee likes this.
  9. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Boston to California is at least a week.

10. Marsman

Marsman Forum Resident

whats the next two releases anyone know?

11. tubesandvinyl

tubesandvinyl Forum Resident

Seems George liked it bright back then too. His AAA Hendrix reissue cuts are extremely bright and edgy. Rock n Roll as you say.

I much prefer the “tape sound” that KG and BG achieve.

12. geddy402

geddy402 Forum Resident

Anyone else having trouble fitting these into outer poly sleeves?

dheath, Mr. Dean and DeanoBee like this.
  13. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Forum Resident

I don't call using a single sleeve for three LPs a growing pain, and if you think Rhino should have growing pains now after putting records out for 4.5 decades I don't know what to say.

14. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Yes! I was about to ask for recommendations.

15. AnalogJ

I think you might have misunderstood me. The AP 45 reissue of Strange Days sounds richer and more dimensional. It's that the original rocks more. It has more punch, but that's likely due to the greater compression. The AP does breathe more, and the ballads are clearly more affecting on it. It's the rockers that maybe are better served with the original.

Echoes Myron likes this.
  16. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Forum Resident

Yes they are tight like Stoughton covers are, they are what was originally designed for laserdisc, and Stoughton repurposed the cover design to use for records in the resurgence. These covers and many newer records have covers that fit better in 13"x 13" outer polly sleeves oppose to the ones that are like 12.5"x12.5" for old records. Funny today I was just thinking I need to order more of them.

17. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

I see what you say now. I should play my AP 45 one of these days and compare. You are talking about Doug Sax, right?
    The one which is in the box.

18. DeanoBee

DeanoBee Lifelong Music Junkie

I use the 12.75 inch gatefold sleeve from Vinyl Storage Solutions and there is lots of space. You may see on the photo that there is additional room along the top of the album.
    My inner sleeve for the Coltrane was seam split along with the album jacket, and I put it in a Mofi sleeve but it's a struggle to get the album back into the jacket. The OBI strip makes it hard to store the album on the outside. [​IMG]

Joti Cover likes this.
  19. AnalogJ

I only got the standalone. I didn't know you could buy all of them in a box set. Weren't the AP 45s done my Hoffman and Gray, or am I misremembering?

20. Vinylfindco

Vinylfindco The Pressing Matters

Listened to both releases tonight. Everything said about The Cars I'm in agreement with. Enjoyed the record more than I ever have. Great, likely definitive mastering. Coltrane's Sound was a blind buy and you would have thought they would choose a better engineered recording. I'm sure it sounds as good as it can, but I can't see returning to this one too often. Wasn't too keen on most of the music either. Reminder to self: Stream an unfamiliar title first!

WhatDoIKnow, MOON, Mr. Dean and 8 others like this.
  21. Bob J

Bob J Forum Resident

I have some sleeves that are made for double LP's and The Cars album doesn't fit in those either.

Mr. Dean likes this.
  22. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

Did the Canada Website also provide a Tracking Number for your package when you received the Shipping Notification Email?

Last edited: Jun 11, 2023
  23. BKphoto

BKphoto JazzAllDay

if you are new to jazz this album wouldn’t be an entry point…jazz is a progression…IMHO

I’d stay away from Ascension if I were you, it will explode your head…

24. MOON

MOON Forum Resident

I can let you know. They just mentioned in the email they would notify me when it ships. I did at the suggestion of a member here set up a membership with them so that they would notify me. The one I ordered as a guest from the States on June 3rd I haven't heard anything.

25. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

The Doors 45 rpm series was done by Doug Sax and was available first as a box set under the name Infinite (2013) and then individually. I have the box but it’s been a while since I compared them to my Electra pressings so I do not remember much.

The Doors - Infinite

You inspired me to play some Doors this morning :righton:

AnalogJ likes this.