The Chambers Brothers "Time Has Come Today" original unedited version

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Stax Fan, Nov 29, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. old school

old school Senior Member

There's also a Sony Legacy Digi-pac from 2003 that has the long version of ' Time Has Come ' of course mastered by Vic Anesini.

2. PooreBoy

PooreBoy Forum Resident

Sorry for this thread resurrection but I just had to chime in with my love of this song and LP...
    I can vouch for everything tim_neely posted about this song, and the history. I had heard the 45 version on 93 KHJ back in '67 when I was 14 and immediately went out and purchased this one. I want to say it was the 4:45 edit, because after it goes into the slowdown with the cowbell (and this was the first song I'd ever heard a cowbell used on), it then picks up where the LP version comes back into the chorus.
    About 3 or 4 weeks later...late on a Saturday night on KHJ I heard the extended version. And I was immediately blown away by it. I waited until the next Saturday night around 9 and hit record on my old reel to reel to see if I would get lucky enough to catch it...and I was. Of course I had to tell everyone about it and drag them over so they could hear it...and all that did were blown away as well.
    Needless to say as soon as I got the 3 bucks together to buy the LP I did and I found I loved almost every song on the LP. I love their versions of In The Midnight Hour as well as People Get Ready.
    I think this also may have been the first so called bathroom break song. But around '67-'68 there would be a lot more of those extended songs to come.
    Of course now most people associate it with some lame commercial. ;)

action pact likes this.
  3. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

MORE COWBELL!!!!
    Check out the early albums. they are party platters!

4. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

My very first concert in 1967 was The Chambers Brothers and The Hassles (with Billy Joel no less). Powerhouse live band, that high school auditorium of white teens in Queens never knew what hit 'em.

action pact and sami like this.
  5. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

Yes, this is an interesting version, with a bit more of a raw, garage-like feel than the 1967 release. Not sure how hard it is to track down the 45 but I finally ran across a copy a couple of years ago. As mentioned, it's also on the 1996 Columbia/Legacy Best of CD.

Jimmy B. likes this.
  6. geo50000

geo50000 Forum Resident

^^^^^^
    Pretty weird!
    Sounds like a different singer, too.

Jimmy B. and NaturalD like this.
  7. NaturalD

NaturalD The King of Pop

45 sounds like it's got a heavy Dylan influence; never spotted that in the better-known version.

Jimmy B. likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.