The Chameleons

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bettsaj, Dec 18, 2018.

1. Jerry James

Jerry James Rorum Fesident

Especially if it is the 2 CD set as it will include the mighty "Ever After" missing from the US CD release.

patient_ot likes this.
  2. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Very true. I used to have the U.S. CD that was missing that track. My current copy is a Canadian CD that has all the tracks.

VinylCountdown likes this.
  3. manicpopthrill

manicpopthrill Forum Resident

Disc two is likely to contain just six tracks, then?

4. Jerry James

That would be my guess. That's how the original UK CD was laid out; imitating the running order and split of the US vinyl (album/ 6 track bonus album). It would be great if they filled that extra space with extra goodies, but doesn't seem likely on a simple reissue like this. Hopefully someday....

manicpopthrill likes this.
  5. Jerry James

I have never seen/heard of a Canadian copy - cool! How does it sound to you?

6. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

The same way all other versions I've heard sound - muddy. Unfortunately I believe the album was a flawed recording to begin with and you can't really improve that in any way. A lot of the recordings sound like pre-production demos that got cleaned up so it could be released. The "bonus EP" tracks sound much better but the album as a whole has never been a marvel in the production department, IMHO.

My personal opinion is the band got the best sound on Script and the Peel Sessions or Radio One Evening Sessions recordings.

VinylCountdown likes this.
  7. Jerry James

You might consider getting the UK 2 CD edition. I have the Japan pressing, and like the Canadian one you mention; it has all the songs crammed onto a single CD. It sounds horrible compared to the UK, IMHO. You're right - I hope they someday remix and remaster that album. I've grown used to it listening to it for so many years and on any system I've ever had sine 1989. As I've upgraded over the past decade or so; it's shortcomings become more apparent. So far the US vinyl sounds superior to me across any format, but my vinyl setup far outpaces my other listening sources, so.... I think they did a wonderful job with the Script and Basically reissues.

8. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

I never heard that 2004 Japan CD. IIRC reviews around here were pretty mixed on it, and by the time I found out about it, it was hard to get. Not sure how different the UK 2xCD would be from the Canadian or the U.S. Geffen disc. If I run across one cheap in a shop or something I might pick it up. FYI the Canadian disc is from '93, same year as the UK double.

9. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

10. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

:hide:

:D

But I'd personally agree with you too!

Rooster_Ties and bherbert like this.
  11. Rgfinch

Rgfinch King Rocky

"You might consider getting the UK 2 CD edition. I have the Japan pressing, and like the Canadian one you mention; it has all the songs crammed onto a single CD. It sounds horrible compared to the UK, IMHO."

You must have great ears, the UK 2CD and the single disc Canadian sound identical to me.

kevin5brown and patient_ot like this.
  12. George Roden

George Roden Active Member

Oh The Chameleons!!! One of the the best! Definitely under rated. This is my wife and I's "band". Just a bit of background, we went to high school together, and are still together. Been married 21 yrs, and we used to/ and still do listen to the Chameleons religiously. We searched high and low back in the late 80's for anything by the Chameleons. We were in Dover, DE. at some empty mall and found a box of cassettes in a book store, and it was filled with Chameleons cassettes. We couldn't believe it. Script of the Bridge, Fan and the Bellows, and Strange Times! What a treasure find, and I think we payed $1 each! They are on every playlist we make.
    We saw the original line up as well in 2002 in Seattle. One of the best shows. Everyone knew all the words. Great song writer, and there are no other guitar works like the Chameleons. Others try to replicate, but can't compare. Also saw Chameleons Vox multiple times. Even without the OG line up, it was still amazing. The last show, just a couple months ago, Mark played the bass. That was great to see him play and sing. This is a band everyone should enjoy, but only few do. Good thread!
    If you haven't checked out Regs other band, The Reegs it's worth a listen. Good little gem.

13. MikeMusic

MikeMusic Forum Resident

Wonderful band
    I remember when John Peel first played them. So very good

Recently played my Chameleons collection and now stuck in my playlist
    What does anything mean basically

Not that well made but stunning music

14. Jerry James

Well, I did mention that I haven't heard the Canadian CD, just assuming its the same as the Japan one as it's the only other edition with all the songs on 1 CD - I could be totally wrong. I'll reassess comparing the 2 I have, but I remember it being no contest.

15. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Unlikely they are the same. If you want to post peak levels and DR for the Japan one we can compare.

It is also possible to graph the EQ of the different versions, but for that I would need them all and only have one version ATM.

16. Rgfinch

Rgfinch King Rocky

From what I can see using audacity, the UK 2CD and the Canada 1disc are identical.

kevin5brown and patient_ot like this.
  17. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Thanks for taking the time to do that. Just a slight level shift I'm guessing?

18. Jerry James

I'm glad you guys know how to do that kind of analogy/comparison with songs/formats/levels, etc. That's something I know absolutely nothing about! Now, to hunt down the Canadian CD...

patient_ot and BeauZooka like this.
  19. Rgfinch

Rgfinch King Rocky

No, not even that. replay gain values are the same. They're identical except for a couple of the points on side 2 where one track becomes the next so track lengths slightly different here and there.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
    kevin5brown likes this.
  20. bherbert

bherbert Forum Resident

I love the powerful drums sound on Script of the Bridge.

21. bherbert

bherbert Forum Resident

View From A Hill is pure bliss.

22. bettsaj

bettsaj “I'm in competition with myself and I'm losing.” Thread Starter

Have you never heard them before??

VinylCountdown and bherbert like this.
  23. bettsaj

bettsaj “I'm in competition with myself and I'm losing.” Thread Starter

The BIGGEST band you've never heard of.... a travesty

24. BeauZooka

BeauZooka Forum Resident

Here’s a link to the Script of the Bridge twitter listening party. You put the record on, and start the replay, and then you can follow along to Mark & Reg commentating on each track:

Script Of The Bridge - The Chameleons

25. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

I didn't know they had a replay option for those who missed the live party. Very cool!

Hats off to Tim Burgess for such a positive use of social media.

VinylCountdown, jimhb and BeauZooka like this.