The Chicago "V" DVD-A has arrived!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dan, Aug 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dan

Dan Senior Member Thread Starter

I was startled when I was reminded that this album was recorded in 1971, the fidelity is that good.

They seem to have taken a bit of a different approach with this disc vs. Chicago "II". Most of the time the lead vocals are spread across the entire front AND the surrounds as well.

The live bonus cut ("Dialogue") sounds excellent as well, and it's discreet to boot! The show that it was taken from would probably make an excellent DVD-A on it's own. (Eat your heart out Silverline!)

I've only glanced through the disc. Anyone else care to chime in?

SinnerSaint likes this.
  2. badfingerjoe

badfingerjoe Senior Member

Just a few quick things...the stereo mix is again a remix....sounds nice..again..great bass. smooth..not overpowering ..and the vocals sound very good also...after first listen to the stereo AdvRes version...I can't find anything to complain about...very true to the original sound..not a drastic remix at all..would be interested in hearing other opinions on this disc also.....

One interesting thing I noticed...while playing the disc on my DVD-A player I could only access the photos during each track(aprox 3-4 photos)..but when I played the disc in my DVD player there was a seperate access to the photo gallery and there were many more photos than what I could access on the DVD-A player...go figure....the photos are really nice.....not the same old..same old.....great concert shots.....

I'm sure I'm just being greedy, but I sure hope they don't stop with just these 2...I would love to hear VII or VI...and I know I'd really be pushing it, but how bout' III also.......

JF

SinnerSaint likes this.
  3. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I still can't find II anywhere locally. :(

Joe said:

This isn't so surprising. The DVD-Video layer uses lossy compressed audio (probably Dolby Digital), which leaves more room for video content than the MLP DVD-Audio layer (lossless compression). Look at all the full-motion concert DVD-Video discs out there. That can't be done with DVD-Audio. There just isn't much room left for video there.

4. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Forget about trying locally. Most of us would have difficulty if it wasn't for www.circuitcity.com

Go into Pop Music and then you'll notice the menu for DVD-A and SACD.

Free shipping and the price is unbeatable.

5. KeithH

Sckott, I didn't know that circuitcity.com was still running the free shipping offer. Their prices are great. I tend to look locally for the instant gratification, which often turns into instant disappointment. :(

Geez, Best Buy in my area still hasn't gotten in the Pet Sounds DVD-Audio disc. :rolleyes:

6. badfingerjoe

Thanks Keith for the explanation...now that makes sense...

If anyone was wondering...the bonus live version of "Dialogue" is the same version taken from the new bonus DVD included on the new Rhino box set...the 4 tracks on that DVD are fantastic...but come on , only 4 songs...are you telling me they only had access to this 25 minutes of vintage Chicago in concert......?????

JF

7. KeithH

Joe, no problem. So, tell me. How is "Saturday in the Park" on the stereo DVD-Audio track? That could be really yummy if done right.

8. badfingerjoe

Keith...That track has less of the murkyness that I always felt made it less enjoyable to listen to...this version is a bit more open and the bass and drums are more defined..it still has a great low end sound , just not as muddy as the original..I don't think you'll be dissapointed..

9. mdp7751

mdp7751 New Member

I've been out of the mix for a few days (weeks?), so I'm just thrilled to hear V is out on this format. If it's anything aproaching II, that'l be great. I'll try to cut down on the contractions, by the way.

V, VI, VII, and VIII are all great and, unfortunately, the end of a great era for a great and under-rated band. Hope they all come out.

10. KeithH

Joe, thanks. Just what I want to hear...from you and the disc! ;)

11. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

My only cpmplaint about this disc is there are no lyrics - a minor complaint though! :D

12. romanotrax

romanotrax Forum Resident

Well John Kellogg has done it again! I absolutley loved the job he did on Chicago II and this disc, IMO, is just as good. Obviously this recording was better to begin with in quality but the surround mix is really great!

The background harmony vocals on this one are in all speakers with solo vocals in the center and reverb on the vocals in back.

Center speaker has the usual bass and kick with the rest of the drums in the L/R front with percussion in back.

Once again, excellent bass in the sub channel.

The whole disc has the feel of being in the center of the band again.

Nothing gimmicky, great feel all around

Highlight tracks:
    A Hit By Varese (kicks the disc off nicely)
    Dialogue (I & II)
    While The City Sleeps (great use of panning on the intro wind effect)
    State Of The Union (sounds bigger than ever)
    Dialogue (Live from the Aerie Crown Theater 1972 - this is how Chicago at Carnegie Hall should sound!!)

I highly recommend this disc!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.