The Church - any of the congregation here? (Part Two)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Remington Steele, Oct 20, 2014.

1. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

But I've never heard of a CD player that indexed two separate tracks together. The only alternative is that your CD has 10 tracks but somehow the FLAC ripper you used identified where the song began and indexed it separately. But that seems equally as unlikely. :confused:

c-eling likes this.
  2. Aura

Aura Forum Resident

The cd most likely deviated from redbook standard in one or more ways. That's the most likely scenario since my more recent car cd player handled it the same way.

3. DankFridge

DankFridge Forum Resident

A previous comment on After Everything inspired me to check out The House Of Love, wow these guys were great. I like the 1990 (Fontana) album the best, but the debut and Babe Rainbow are really strong too. Thanks for the reference/rec!! Definitely Church-adjacent in shimmery guitar sound. Guy Chadwick's vocals aren't as silky and seductive as Mr. Kilbey's, but convey plenty of mystique and feeling.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2022
    SJP, Aura and AlienRendel like this.
  4. PJM

PJM Forum Resident

I got my hands on the "Beside Yourself" limited release CD. Can't seem to stop listening to it. My favorite Church releases are "Priest = Aura", "The Blurred Crusade", "Starfish" and "Hologram of Baal"; I think "Beside Yourself" is right up there with those four. No slight on the rest...my order of preference for their albums may change on a day to day basis. I don't they have ever released a bad one.

wayneklein, Aura, AlienRendel and 4 others like this.
  5. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

nice find!

I had to settle for iTunes for that and a few other extreme catalog rarities.

PJM likes this.
  6. Retropsych

Retropsych Excessive Lynne Orchestrations

The most recent release Sakura Flower is a good listen.

StefanWq, PJM and JeffMo like this.
  7. DankFridge

Great album. I love Steve's album artwork too.

Retropsych, StefanWq and PJM like this.
  8. PJM

PJM Forum Resident

Just a side note...I see your location is Missoula. I live in Knoxville, TN but I am from Billings, MT. My youngest brother was born in Missoula. While I love Tennessee, my heart will always be in Montana. Big Sky Country!

DankFridge likes this.
  9. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

10. DankFridge

StefanWq and Bonddm like this.
  11. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

12. DankFridge

Bonddm and SJP like this.
  13. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

New single out in time for tour?!?
    :)

14. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

So much to take in from this interview. It sounds like Mr. Powles is hanging on by a thread. He had some nice things to say about Steve, but also was clear that it's not an easy relationship. I really hope that Tim doesn't abandon the ship. They are already touring with a different drummer. I know that he is still in touch with Marty. I would guess that he is also still friends with Peter. The Church have become the Steve Kilbey show. Losing Tim would be the final nail in the coffin for The Church. I still love Steve, but I'm bummed at what happened to the band. I do trust that the next album will be amazing.

15. InStepWithTheStars

I don't read anything like that in this. Based on my interaction with Tim (and reading the book, which described him the same way I would), what you're taking as a red flag is just who he is. He is committed, devoted (if you'll pardon the pun) to making the music and making it well. The personal relationship with the band members is irrelevant to him – it's all about the music.

As for his dismissal of his own drumming ability in that article – the Church are a band with a complete mastery of atmosphere. By virtue of what they are, drums are incredibly difficult to play "atmospherically". Tim can do that beautifully. Look at the ending of "A New Season" – 2:35 in the video below – and realize that he's not playing the same pattern twice as he propels the song along, but never once do you get the sense that the rhythm of the song isn't rock-solid, nor does it seem like he's showing off. Tim is a masterful drummer. He'll never win any "best drummer" popularity contests from music magazines, but that's not who he is. He's not a show-off, he's not the center of attention. In a band that can achieve such otherworldly beauty, he can make a drum kit – a very aggressive and noisy instrument – and slot it into the sound so effortlessly, so naturally.

StefanWq, AlienRendel and Mr. Bill like this.
  16. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

The article sounded to me like he had a falling out with Steve, and we know how sometimes that works out. I wouldn’t be surprised if he leaves after the next album or at least doesn't tour with them anymore. I think he is definitely needed for the albums. He seems to know what a Church album should sound like.

StefanWq, DankFridge and Em. like this.
  17. DankFridge

I agree, it sounds like Tim is sticking it out for the music. Or at least that's how it seems worded in the article.

StefanWq, Em. and palisantrancho like this.
  18. InStepWithTheStars

Both the book and my interaction with him suggest he just doesn't have any real personal connection to the other members of the band. The tone that comes across in the article is the same one I got from him in 2019 and the same one that shows in the 2009 book. I wouldn't say he's "sticking it out" for the music, just that he's in it for the music, a hundred percent.

StefanWq and DankFridge like this.
  19. DankFridge

I'm just curious, what is Richard Ploog up to these days? Any chance he could be the second drummer for the tour? He really wailed on those early albums. Is that bridge burned too?

Last edited: Aug 20, 2022
  20. Aura

Aura Forum Resident

I forget who mentioned... in a VIP pre-show event... Tim or Peter? It was mentioned by one of them that Richard is in a really well-liked reggae band, and (at that time) a fixture on the local music scene.

They might have been taking the proverbial piss.

DankFridge likes this.
  21. DankFridge

New Kilbey interview. He discusses the drummers, the tour and lineup changes. The new second drummer is a protege of Tim's. Hypnogogue is "proggy" and they'll be playing some of it live.

22. Aura

Aura Forum Resident

Thanks for sharing that interview! New SK/MK album forthcoming! Boom! 2023 is going to be great.

23. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Since there is enough material for two albums, is it to much to ask for some b-sides with forthcoming single?

StefanWq, DankFridge and SJP like this.
  24. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Another K/K album forthcoming too!

woo hoo!!

StefanWq, DankFridge and SJP like this.
  25. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident