The Church - any of the congregation here? (Part Two)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Remington Steele, Oct 20, 2014.

1. davers

davers Forum Resident

For all you CD collectors out there I wanted to share a couple of recent finds that have been added to my Church collection:

Greatest Hits Acoustic (licensed to Liberation Music label): The inside of the CD booklet indicates this was previously released as El Memento Descuidado and recreates the original album cover art on the inside flap. As I already have the original CD this one's kind of a bust - it has dreadfully dull cover art simply stating the title of the CD, the artist, and featured songs. It would've been nice to have the reissue notation visible on the outer sleeve instead of buried in the booklet, but I'll keep this for the collection anyway.

Conception (Carrere label): This is a 1988 CD compilation issued by (French label?) Carrere Records and includes ten tracks pulled from the first two albums and the Sing Songs EP. Based on the date notations date it appears this may have originally been released on vinyl in 1982 but I'm not certain. Unlike the first item listed above, this one's pretty cool!

Last edited: Oct 2, 2022
    D.B., morgan1098, Aura and 3 others like this.
  2. Em.

Em. Forum Resident

And up until the "Sing Songs / Remote Luxury / Persia" compilation CD was released in 2001, "Conception" was the only place one could own a digital version of "A Different Man." At that time, the only other "Sing Songs" tune that was available on CD was "The Night Is Very Soft", on the "Hindsight" compilation. Both are better sounding masterings than those included on the overly compressed "Sing Songs / Remote Luxury / Persia" compilation.

Aura, davers, factory44 and 3 others like this.
  3. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

Yeah, the remastered EP collection sounds appalling. I haven't done ultra-in-depth comparisons, but Conception sounds great and may be the best-sounding early Church on CD. Compare "A Different Man" and marvel at the fact that the instruments don't disappear when the Mellotron comes in!

Aura, davers, SJP and 2 others like this.
  4. Aura

Aura Forum Resident

I have almost all releases by The Church on vinyl and cd, and many times multiple versions. Conception is one that I only have on cd. Probably bought it a year after release. Never came across the title on vinyl.

The cd mastering of Conception is much better than the cd of Sing Songs (EP Collection). But I have two copies of the latter on vinyl, plus the other EPs on vinyl, and have only once or twice listened to the cd version. It was so clear the mastering was brickwalled and devoid of dynamics.

davers likes this.
  5. imsjry

imsjry Forum Resident

Looks like Walmart (via DeepDiscountDVD) is selling the MOV black “Gold Afternoon Fix” vinyl for under $10 now. I’m sure it doesn’t sound as good as an OG but for that price a second copy can’t hurt!

JeffMo, Patanoia and davers like this.
  6. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

7. imsjry

imsjry Forum Resident

Man I hope the money is worth it because that looks like it’s gonna be a nightmare. Stuck on a boat with Bret Michaels?!

8. morgan1098

morgan1098 Forum Resident

Apologies for the Orb disc also in the picture (I put this in the CD single acquisitions thread), but I found this "Feel" maxi single promo today and never knew it existed. After looking it up on Discogs, I discovered that the same tracks were released on a commercial CD single in Australia. JUNIOR VASQUEZ remixes for The Church? I haven't listened to these tracks yet but this doesn't sound like a match made in heaven...

[​IMG]

9. davers

davers Forum Resident

Whoa cool find, even if the remixes turn out to be not so hot! Let us know your take on them.

JeffMo and morgan1098 like this.
  10. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

Thanks for the tip!

imsjry likes this.
  11. InStepWithTheStars

Yeah those remixes aren't very good ("get go psycho" ad nauseum) but they exist and therefore I had to buy them. Incidentally, there exists a longer version of the "Urban Mix" which I was stupid enough to spend money on. I don't consider those official Church releases as it's basically a bad loop in three different styles with Steve's voice and one or two synths sampled from the actual song. I'll never sell them, of course...

davers, AlienRendel and morgan1098 like this.
  12. InStepWithTheStars

I actually don't have the Arista promo CD for "Feel", I thought I did. I only have the one for "Ripple" – one of my earliest Church acquisitions, oddly enough. I do have the "Extended Urban Mix", retitled "Limited Expand-O Mix", on this CD: Various, Melissa Etheridge - The Album Network In-Store Play TuneUp 9 (I also have Volume 28 from this series, which includes Sometime Anywhere in its entirety.) There are a few other things I bought before I made any effort to shake off my OCD, which shouldn't really be in my collection... but, well, too late.

That said, I have the Arista promo for "Ripple", so I guess I'd better get the one for "Feel" as well. :laugh: :sigh: :crazy:

And I haven't shaken my OCD entirely. I'm still lacking the single-disc Australian pressings of Hologram, After Everything, Forget Yourself, and Uninvited. And since I'm an idiot, I think that means I don't technically own the album. (However, post-Sometime Anywhere, those are the ONLY CDs I don't own the Aussie pressings of.) If anybody's got the Aussie pressings, I'm interested! ;) :laugh:

morgan1098 likes this.
  13. I agree that I hope the money is good. By the way, my t-shirt from the show earlier in the summer is already coming apart for their tour. I hope the next batch is better.

14. InStepWithTheStars

The two I got in 2019 have seen regular wear – usually about twice a month – and they're holding up just fine. Who made yours? Mine are both Bella+Canvas brand – one black with a modern recreation of the Starfish cover (featuring Ian and Tim) in white, and the other light blue with "Reptile"-inspired scales on the front.

Can't find the blue shirt online, but this is the black one: Starfish Tour Black Tshirt w/dateback - The Church

That site also has a cool Hypnogogue poster for $5 – no idea on shipping, though.

wayneklein likes this.
  15. Not sure. It’s the 40th T-shirt. Bought it at the show in Petaluma, California. The image on the front has completely come apart and even the dates on the back are shedding like crazy. It’s the one in the right.

https://www.thechurchband.net/merch

I’ve never had a shirt shed the image like this. I mean I have a Kinks t-short from the 80’s and while it’s worn, it’s still intact. Even my Who and Zombies shirts from a couple of years ago. I would advise Steve not to use whomever did these again. I’ll look later and post who made it.

InStepWithTheStars likes this.
  16. TheOtherDude

TheOtherDude Forum Resident

craigobau, siveld, Retropsych and 4 others like this.
  17. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Never apologize about The Orb! :cool:

morgan1098 and Theacademyinperil like this.
  18. imsjry

imsjry Forum Resident

Last edited: Oct 6, 2022
    J Borland, Aura and Musiko like this.
  19. Aura

Aura Forum Resident

Nice find. I happened upon mine and the "Ripple" cds in 1992 while driving through South Bend, IN of all places on God's green earth. I also have a vinyl promo that has yet another mix of "Feel." In the end, the album mix is the best one and a good song overall. It definitely fit the time of release, but shows some age today.

morgan1098 likes this.
  20. factory44

factory44 Forum Resident

It’s finally here!

[​IMG]

Defrance, jimhb, davers and 3 others like this.
  21. TheOtherDude

imsjry and Aura like this.
  22. Aura

Aura Forum Resident

Just ordered the vinyl. #50.

imsjry likes this.
  23. Aura

Aura Forum Resident

Any argument for getting the hardcover over the paperback? 160 pages is not much for an $80 hardcover.

24. TheOtherDude

I have the hardcover. It's a tiny book, definitely don't feel it was worth that kind of money. I may return it and get the paperback.

Aura likes this.
  25. zardozislove

zardozislove Senior Member

Did my part and ordered the vinyl.

imsjry likes this.