The Church - any of the congregation here? (Part Two)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Remington Steele, Oct 20, 2014.

1. DankFridge

DankFridge Forum Resident

I can't find a link yet but will post it if I do. He went live at 2 AM in the USA so I only caught Day 5 and Almost With You but he sounded good!

StefanWq and Aura like this.
  2. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

I finally received The Hypnogogue vinyl from Amazon. Seems that those shipped "last-ordered-first-out" as a buddy of mine got his (on my recommendation) a week+ before I got my copy.

At any rate, I liked the album well enough on hearing the songs but attentive vinyl listening might rank this album as top-tier Church. I'll give it more time before passing final judgment but it is one remarkable album.

3. russell_smith

russell_smith Forum Resident

I have the neon violet vinyl version (in fact I have two copies due to a mix up) and it plays flawlessly across all four sides. Isn't a bit smoke and mirrors with colour vinyl as black is added to make the vinyl black?

That said, I know the metallic colours can be a tad noisy - my James Bond 50th LP gold is slightly noisy in places.

Bijan and StefanWq like this.
  4. DankFridge

Aura and StefanWq like this.
  5. DankFridge

Steve's IG set from May 8th. That YouTube channel is amazing BTW, lots of Church/solo gold.

Aura and factory44 like this.
  6. Aura

Aura Forum Resident

Easy Action vinyl showed up today. Listening now...

So far, so good. Vinyl is quiet, flat and centered on side 1. The violet vinyl is more like a magenta or cranberry color than violet, but no complaints. It's a nice alternative to the 'none more black' edition. ;)

The edition comes with better quality inner sleeves. Black with a slightly slick (poly-like) inner coating. I may leave these as-is. With the US edition, the inners were stock white paper (IIRC) and had shed a bunch of paper dust onto the LPs. So I did what I typically do, which is to replace them with MoFi inner sleeves.

I'll report back if anything changes on sides 2-4, or if I detect any printing differences in the gatefolds. Nice hype sticker included on this Easy Action edition.

JeffMo and StefanWq like this.
  7. Aura

Aura Forum Resident

This ended up here... and thank you so very much for alerting this thread about these wonderful May 2023 Instagram shows.

The title 'Phoenician Extraction' makes my eyes wide wondering if SK is getting a rope and pulley extraction of the chipped tooth... So worried right now!

StefanWq likes this.
  8. Aura

Aura Forum Resident

In other news... did Jeffrey Cain start playing a cover of 'Terra Nova Cain,' and... did it work?

...and was Heather Nova (Cain) opening the gig? Inquiring minds want to know.

[Please tell me someone gets the inside joke and background of the second line... otherwise I'm getting too o*d, erm... I mean, 39 again.]

Last edited: May 30, 2023
    StefanWq likes this.
  9. Aura

Aura Forum Resident

Okay, quoting myself. The second disc (side 3, at least) has a slight edge warp. The disc is flat and centered and sounds great. But, I did notice the cellophane was wrapped really tight before I opened this edition. One jacket corner was pulled backwards. After unwrapping, the jacket was fine, but I suspect this might have caused a slight edge warp.

Anyway, just reporting the facts. I have no prob. with a slight edge warp, especially since the sound of this pressing and its tonality were not affected. Peace out my Churchen Brethren.

StefanWq likes this.
  10. Bijan

Bijan Forum Resident

Aura- how’s the sound compared to CD/streaming? Unable to play any vinyl for a few months.

StefanWq likes this.
  11. Aura

Aura Forum Resident

The vinyl sounds great, both the US and UK. I don't hear a difference betwen the two. I slightly prefer the vinyl to the hi-res download I received as part of the US vinyl purchase.

imsjry, StefanWq and Bijan like this.
  12. Aura

Aura Forum Resident

Also, the jackets between the US and UK versions differ. The US version is a slightly glossy or semi-gloss sleeve and has richer color, most noticeably deeper black. The UK version is a matte jacket and more subdued colors. The US version is easier to read the track listing since the gold lettering is rendered better overall.

StefanWq likes this.
  13. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I can't justify buying the album again, but I'd certainly buy the title track 12" single with that incredible sleeve art. Especially if they stuck a remix and two non-album b-sides on there! :cool:

Aura and StefanWq like this.
  14. Aura

Aura Forum Resident

A 12" with b-sides would be awesome. That doesn't appear to be in the works. The US art is great. The UK vinyl is equal to the US vinyl. Glad I have both. I do not have the gold US pressing, yet... :shh:

StefanWq likes this.
  15. Bijan

Bijan Forum Resident

I went ahead and got all three vinyl variations. And the CD haha.

Musiko, Aura and StefanWq like this.
  16. TheOtherDude

TheOtherDude Forum Resident

Looks like The Church will be playing in Austin Oct 26 as part of Levitation, which is a Psych music festival I hadn't heard of until now. I can't find any info about other dates but it certainly seems possible if they're coming to the US around that time.

LEVITATION 2023

Aura, DankFridge and JeffMo like this.
  17. AlienRendel

AlienRendel Senior Member

Wow. Ton of great bands on that poster! It seems like they'd have to do some more dates around this to make it feasible.

hophedd likes this.
  18. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

Not a bad lineup this year. But 2015 would've been the year I'd have love to have attended - from Wiki: "The lineup included The Flaming Lips, The Jesus and Mary Chain, Primal Scream, Spiritualized, Tame Impala as well as a reunion performance by The 13th Floor Elevators, the band's first performance in 45 years."

DankFridge and AlienRendel like this.
  19. Oatsy

Oatsy Forum Resident

Finally have this back on LP. I let it go somewhere along the way. Back when it came out was my roaming days so cassettes only for most of the 80s
    Good price too.
    [​IMG]

CD Addict, JeffMo, StefanWq and 5 others like this.
  20. jason202

jason202 Forum Resident

One of my favorites. Hopefully it'll be reissued someday.

jimhb, JeffMo, StefanWq and 2 others like this.
  21. Record Rotator

Record Rotator A vintage/retro-loving sentimental fool

Bought the CD for my dad for his birthday (I turned him onto The Church approximately 20 years ago)
    and just bought the vinyl version for me.
    Can't wait for it to arrive!
    Love The Hypnogogue album.

StefanWq and DankFridge like this.
  22. Aura

Aura Forum Resident

Yeah, Levitation is a fun festival. Slowdive in 2018 was epic. Before that show, I last saw them at the original final show at Lee's Place in 1994, where I met the band at the bar before the show and Neil told me how much he preferred Budweiser over English beers... wut!? Granted this was long before micro breweries were a thing in the US. But still, I can't imagine a Bud over Samuel Smith or Fullers or really anything but a Budweiser. Lol!

Orginally Levitation was Austin Psych Fest, then became Levitation for a decade and now Austin Psych Fest is back as it's own thing.

Looking forward to the Oct. 26 show. I have that week off work too.

Grahamstuartcanada and StefanWq like this.
  23. Milk and kisses

Milk and kisses Forum Resident

Was looking at rice cookers at jb hifi yesterday, as they were out of stock I moved to the music section. Spotted the hypnogogue gold vinyl double album for 72AUD, more that I usually spend but decided to take a gamble. So glad I did, completely surpassed my expectations, have just listened once but I know already it will be up near the top of my favourite church albums, so much to devour, they really have no right releasing an album so great, So late in their career. If your are a church fan but have been hesitating getting this because of line up changes or recent releases I implore you to give this album a chance. Also picked up Clouds Penny Century blue vinyl 30th anniversary edition after catching their fabulous recent live gig, great sounding vinyl. But the new church omg, so good

24. HeydayKilbey

HeydayKilbey Forum Resident

So I have the black US vinyl version, as well as the purple UK version. Both sound really good, however, my black copy has a whooshing sound on all sides. You don't notice it once the songs begin, but you certainly hear it on the lead in/out grooves as well as between tracks, and sometimes very lightly during quieter moments on the album. I haven't seen any comments about this, but being that it's on all 4 sides, it can't be just my copy, or is it? Does anyone else have this issue? Not sure if I should try another coy thru Amazon or not. It sounds good otherwise and is a great album.

StefanWq likes this.
  25. HeydayKilbey

HeydayKilbey Forum Resident

In case it's not clear, I'm talking about the Hypnagogue vinyl.

StefanWq likes this.