The Church - any of the congregation here? (Part Two)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Remington Steele, Oct 20, 2014.

1. Twangy

Twangy Forum Resident

the fellas are in town (Cambridge, MA) next Wednesday, really looking forward to it!

2. Mikay

Mikay Active Member

Guess I never ran across any others on vinyl. :D I'll keep an eye out in the future.

3. ServingTheMusic

ServingTheMusic Forum Resident

Go for it! There are not to many bands as consistent as the Church. As a matter of fact, perhaps their biggest album, Gold Afternoon Fix, is the
    only one that sounds dated. All the others sound as modern and fresh as can be. Further Deeper, the new one, is immaculate.

4. Maurice

Maurice Senior Member

Schedule and budgetary conflicts are keeping me from going to this show but I can put in a good word for the restaurant and bar that's attached to The Sinclair itself. Great food & drinks and it has the added benefit of being directly adjacent to the club's entrance.

5. Levitated

Levitated Forum Resident

Wow, this show has sneaked up on me fast! I've got this show on the 12th at The Sinclair, then Swervedriver on the 28th at the same place!

I've never been there, I think it's just recently they've started having shows like this? I could be wrong. It's right in Harvard Square, so plenty of good bars around. Looks like it's right near The Border Cafe on Church Street (of course!). One warning, parking SUCKS in Harvard Square! I'm sure it's even worse now w/ all of the snow. Either plan on paying some cash to park, or plan on looking just outside the square & walking a little. Better yet park at Alewife Station in Cambridge & take the T in! Probably the easiest.

If you think you can make it, shoot me a PM that afternoon, I'll probably know by then where we'll be.

6. Levitated

Levitated Forum Resident

That sounds like the easiest option. Not sure mass quantities of margarita's at Border Cafe are a good idea on a week night.:shh:

7. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

My MOV pressing of Starfish just arrived yesterday!

I love Border Cafe but you are probably right and it is usually very crowded too. I'll PM you on the 12th if I think I can make it there before the show this time! @Maurice thanks for the tip.

8. ServingTheMusic

A few more Pix:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1970, Volt-and-Volume and AlienRendel like this.
  9. BadJack

BadJack doorman who always high-fives children of divorce

Any of you Boston types have any thoughts on Thursday's show? I thought they were pretty great.

JeffMo likes this.
  10. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Really high energy show and Steve is really inspirational at age 60 or whatever - bouncing around like a madman and far more animated when free from playing bass on some songs. I thought new songs were better live than on album, and "Miami" was epic!

I thought Ian started off poorly and I was missing MWP, but he seemed to improve over the course of the show and was clearly more comfortable with the new songs for obvious reasons!

Thrilled to get the Psychedelic DVD and cd at the Merch table too!

1970 and BadJack like this.
  11. AlienRendel

AlienRendel Senior Member

Let me just say that if you can pick up a US original LP somewhere, you will find that it sounds much, much better than the MOV pressing. Way more depth and 3D sound.

1970 and jimhb like this.
  12. Sad. Couldn't get tix for the San Francisco show and missed the Amoeba in store concert because I was in a meeting in Sacramento. Hopefully they come back around sooner than later.

13. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I had a US original that sounded very "meh" - lots of surface noise, ticks and pops throughout "Destination". If I can find a mint copy, I will snag it for sure.

I prefer the MOV LP to the VERY LOUD deluxe remaster cd, that is for sure.

14. AlienRendel

15. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

There are a lot of Church records on vinyl,group and solo,up through 1994.I own most of it.Go over to Discogs and read up on it.I came in with "Blurred Crusade" in 1982.

16. craigobau

craigobau Forum Resident

European tour just announced:

May 29 - Spain, Barcelona - Primavera Sound
    May 31 - Germany, Cologne - Luxor
    June 1 - France, Paris - New Morning
    June 2 - Netherlands, Amsterdam - Paradiso
    June 3 - Belgium, Hasselt - Muziek-o-droom
    June 4 - UK, London - Islington Academy
    June 5 - UK, Brighton - The Haunt

UK tickets on sale on Wednesday.

1970, JeffMo and AlienRendel like this.
  17. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Considering the amount of alcohol they (don't) put into margaritas at that joint, you should be unscathed.

18. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

19. ServingTheMusic

FANTASTIC! Thank you!

I am a huge fan of Steve's solo work and just ordered the new one from Bandcamp. The man is prolific. No..he redefines prolific!

Volt-and-Volume likes this.
  20. AlienRendel

The man needs an editor.

1970 likes this.
  21. BadJack

BadJack doorman who always high-fives children of divorce

I kind of view the Church as his editor. I like his solo stuff and respect its eclectic nature, but I have to admit that I prefer the relative focus that the group format seems to provide.

22. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Exactly how I feel. By far my favorite solo LP is Painkiller, and that was produced by Tim Powles and is very Churchian!

AlienRendel and BadJack like this.
  23. Cool! I especially like the first photo.

24. ServingTheMusic

Nah, let it pour out like a water gushing from a hose...

Yes, some of the stuff clearly is indulgent, but it is pretty much established that stuff is for the hardcore.

Like the album made with Garageband..a stinker..but, god bless him.

AlienRendel likes this.