The Church "Forget Yourself"...this new album rules!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by audio, Mar 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. audio

audio New Member Thread Starter

Just picked up my copy of "Forget Yourself", the latest offering by the Church. I would highly recommend this album. It's very nice. Anyone else heard it yet?

2. TMan

TMan Forum Resident

What a coincidence - I came to the forums just now to check for Church posts! I saw them Friday in Viriginia (great show, lousy venue) and picked up the new album (CD) yesterday. After one listen it sounds good. Not sure if I like it more than After Everthing Now This yet.

If you like rock music at all I highly recommend catching one of their shows (Church Tour Dates). Great two guitar interplay, excellent songs. I'd describe them as intelligent, atmospheric, psychedelic guitar rock. This tour they are playing quite hard - lots of layered, rocking guitar. Put on a GREAT show. Sound unlike, and way better than, just about anything made today. I guess Radio Head fans would like them (although I think the Church are much better).

Although a lot of people think of them as an 80's one-hit wonder (Under the Milky Way), they have never gone away and are truly an excellent band. In an ideal world they would be playing arenas.

3. audio

audio New Member Thread Starter

I've seen the Church twice. They put on a great show. Have you heard Mellow Drunk? They are friends of mine from the bay area and they sound very much like the Church. I thought they were going to open for them on this tour, but I don't know what ever came of it. Who knows,....maybe you saw them.

I'd say "After Everthing Now This" is a much better album then the latest one. The songs are better. I really like the production on this latest album, though. There are some fantastic nuggets on there such as the Beach Boysesque background vox in the beginning of that one song. In fact, this album probably features the most lush vocal layering I've ever heard from the Church and as usual, the guitar work melts in your mouth.

4. HeavyDistortion

HeavyDistortion Senior Member

After seeing The Church in concert last night, my wife has been asking me ever since to purchase the "Forget Yourself" CD. I'll be looking for it later today. The songs from "Forget Yourself" certainly sounded excellent in the show that I witnessed last evening.

Ed Hurdle
    HeavyDistortion

5. the 801

the 801 New Member

Caveat Emptor -- initial copies of the US release of 'Forget Yourself' on SpinArt come with a 30 minute, 3 track bonus disc.

6. bonjo

bonjo Forum Resident

c'mon, the bonus tracks aren't THAT bad. Actually, they're pretty good, if a bit long winded... ;)

Thanks to TMan for posting the tour dates link - I see that they're actually playing in Austin at SXSW, although it looks like they won't be offering tickets separately from a SXSW pass..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.