The Clash - from garage band in garageland to neo-colonialist jamband...?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jon-A, Sep 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jon-A

Jon-A Forum Resident Thread Starter

Feeling uneasy about the general reverence for mid-period (i.e. London Calling) Clash, and maybe even something of a reappraisal of Sandista. My (reluctant) take: great punk band for one and maybe a half albums (The Clash, both versions, and some of Give 'Em Enough Rope) devolves into bloated over-reaching cultural appropriation (Sandinista and, yes, London Calling). I remember when London Calling came out to general acclaim - it was warmly received, but not because The Clash had succeeded in their crusade. Instead, their message had been diluted and conventionalized to a degree that the hoi polloi found acceptable and non-threatening. They were safe to like. They traded their rebel stance for fake reggae and rock'n'roll pastiche.

2. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

3. johnnyb1964

johnnyb1964 Treats please!

Don’t understand your take at all, OP. “Cultural appropriation’! Give me a break!

4. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Cultural appropriation?

Oh God...

5. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

I think you're over-analizing. I love those records and that's fine with me. Listen and enjoy

6. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

The important thing to me is "are the songs good?"

Crass have a lot of integrity blah blah but their music is bad. And worst of all, boring.

Give me "sell outs" like The Clash who can compose great music, thank you

7. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Edited that to the way I would say it.

vonwegen, mcwlod, entropyfan and 13 others like this.
  8. Jon-A

Edited to the way I would say it:

London Calling 3:19 Spanish Bombs 3:18 Clampdown 3:49 Guns Of Brixton 3:10 Death Or Glory 3:55 Train In Vain 3:12 TT:20:43

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
    Ken likes this.
  9. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

All great tracks. What's your point?

vonwegen, Droogmeister and Jimmy B. like this.
  10. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

also: elvis costello is a racist

:laugh:

11. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

I see no retreat from their so-called "rebel stance" at all. Sandanista and Combat Rock are loaded with songs of rebellion and social justice. They just happened to improve as musicians along the way.

12. Jon-A

That's my point - the ones I listed are great tracks. But 6 out of 19 is a little puny. I read that they showed up to begin the sessions with no new songs - and I think you can tell. Of course there's bound to be some filler, but that's quite a bit of weak, sloppy or indulgent material for #8 on Rolling Stone's 500 Greatest Albums list.

If you edited it down to a single record, you would have a strong album that looked a lot like Give 'Em Enough Rope, but the sprawl of a double album kinda hyped it up IMO. In fact, if they made a double of Rope by including all the outtakes, they would have had their 'masterpiece' that much sooner: "Other songs recorded during the [Give 'Em Enough Rope] sessions included the single "(White Man) In Hammersmith Palais", as well as B-sides "Pressure Drop", "1-2 Crush on You" and "The Prisoner". Four more songs were recorded: "One Emotion", "Groovy Times", "Ooh Baby Ooh (It's Not Over)" (AKA "Rusted Chrome", later reworked and released as "Gates of the West") and "RAF 1810." (wiki)

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
    Ken likes this.
  13. fmfxray373

fmfxray373 Capitol LPs in the 70s were pretty good.

The thing about the Clash was that every album was different from what came before, with the possible exception of Combat Rock, which in retrospect seems like a more accessible continuation of Sandinista!.
    Issuing something like the Clash II with songs that sounded just like the 77 debut would have diminished the power of their first album.

I have never, ever gotten the impression the Clash were "neo-colonialist." Where do they espouse restoring the British Empire?

14. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

I won't say this post is everything I hate about contemporary artistic discussions, but it's a lot of 'em

15. Jon-A

I was using the term neo-colonialist in reference to blithe annexation of other musical cultures, not their politics. Too sensitive?

And I don't begrudge them moving on from album to album - I just question their skill in doing so, and think London Calling is...overrated. After I wrote my previous comment, I took my own advice and made a Deluxe Give 'Em Enough Rope Playlist, including the album plus all those other tunes recorded in the same period. It's great! Fresher and less muddled than London Calling. Give it a try!

16. APH

APH Forum Resident

Why is being interested in other forms of music 'blithe annexation'?

17. Those imperialist Beatles and Stones with their blithe annexation of blues and rock n roll eh? And don't start me on that Elvis fellow. Oh, and every other musical act ever. Daftest thing I ever heard.

18. Orthogonian Blues

Orthogonian Blues A man with a fork in a world full of soup.

I never liked The Clash. But I will give them credit at least for being musically adventurous.

And I think it came from a genuine appreciation of other cultures that they experienced, not only on their travels but also in the multiracial milieu of West London. Nothing neo colonial about it.

19. SCOTT1234

SCOTT1234 Senior Member

Cut the Crap, mate! (Now if you'd said that one was bad I might have agreed with you). Anyway, the Clash grew up in an area of London steeped in the music that came from Jamaica and many other cultures. Absorb that every day of your life and it becomes part of your musical culture. Blithe annexation my a**! They weren't doing a Paul Simon.

20. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

Neo-colonialist ? Cultural appropriation ? Fake ?

WTF

vonwegen, Jack Lord, stever and 3 others like this.
  21. Paul Simon? That bloke who found music he loved in another country, went there and worked with local musicians, produced some great music and help raise the profile of African music generally and the careers of South African musicians specifically? What a blithe, appropriating bastard.

22. SCOTT1234

SCOTT1234 Senior Member

That's the one.

23. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Tasty worm. Shame about that sharp hook.

No Static likes this.
  24. Django

Django Forum Resident

Its probably more pastiche than cultural appropriation.

Jon-A likes this.
  25. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

After "Rope", they put out six full studio LPs across three titles before Jones' departure.

Speaking strictly for myself, I do not want to hear six albums of the Clash as produced by Sandy Pearlman.

Just curious, do you know anything of Strummer's upbringing and background? His professional musical history?

vonwegen, peskypesky, ajsmith and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.