The Clash: London Calling exhibition at the Museum of London

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sound of the Suburbs, Aug 25, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Telegramsam

Telegramsam Forum Resident

I went last thurday, it´s small, just one room and dedicated exclusively to London Calling. The star is the broken bass, and there are clothes and artifacts from the tour, some original lyrics and other memorabilia. Could be disapointing for some but I loved it, and all the people there had smiles on their faces. The rest of the museum is interesting too, I´ve never been there before.

2. Telegramsam

3. Telegramsam

4. johnnybrum

johnnybrum Forum Resident

I went on Tuesday, and spent about an hour.Was surprised and heartened how many people were in The Clash room on a weekday afternoon....

Didn't buy the scrapbook but bought a £5 Armagideon Times as a souvenir.
    The Clash A5 Fanzine

The Museum itself is excellent and totally free :)

5. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

I see there is a 40th anniversary Japanese remaster of the vinyl. It's expensive at $75-80 but if done right, it could be worth it. Anybody know anything about the mastering of this Japanese edition?

Here it is on Popmarket but I've seen it other places, too.

6. TeddyB

TeddyB Senior Member

Tim Young did wind up doing the new UK 40th vinyl. I’m told the Japanese version is different but have not heard it.

danielbravo likes this.
  7. ggergm

That's nice to know about the 40th anniversary UK pressing.

As for the Japanese version, I have a sneaky suspicion about this. With that wonderful Japanese combination of simplicity and precision, I could see them doing an analog remaster.

We won't know how the water is unless someone dives into the ocean. I'm up for a swim. And in a twist, I'll be swimming toward a deserted desert island, as London Calling is an album I'd have if I was stuck on one.

Ordered from Popmarket, along with the new Who album so I can make free freight by 62¢.

It will be interesting to hear how it compares to my UK original.

8. Mad Dog

Mad Dog Forum Resident

Is this the one with the plastic slip cover? I see a mix of listings on eBay mentioning from Europe too along with the Japan release (on clear vinyl). Would that be the UK version or is that yet another version? If you know.

The Clash - London Calling

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
  9. TeddyB

TeddyB Senior Member

The UK version with the plastic slip cover was done by Tim Young at the behest of Mick. Don’t know if there was a separate version cut for Europe at a different pressing plant. If so, it’s piggybacked on the same work Tim did. The Japanese insisted on doing their own.

danielbravo and Mad Dog like this.
  10. Richard 1966

Richard 1966 Forum Resident

• I believe the ' slip case 40th' version is the 2013 remaster. The Japanese version I hope will sound a bit different and also looks like it is on clear vinyl too. Have ordered it from Amazon for 73 quid. I have bought this album for a sixth time . Thoughts please ladies and gents

rikki nadir likes this.
  11. johnnybrum

johnnybrum Forum Resident

Sound of the Suburbs likes this.
  12. Jason Manley

Jason Manley Senior Member

Maybe the least punk rock thing of all time. But, still very cool. :)

Sound of the Suburbs likes this.
  13. ggergm

Today, the 14th of December, 2019, is the 40th anniversary of the release of London Calling. It was released on this date in 1979.

I was looking around a Japanese website for The Clash and found a new HD remaster Sony did of the video for the song, "London Calling." It is below, along with a comparison video showing the improvement from the original SD version through a split screen.

I mentioned upthread I was going to get the Japanese LP remaster, which arrived today. How appropriate. Just looking at the package, I can tell that it is a labor of love. While I was at it, I ordered up the UK 40th anniversary remaster, too. When it arrives, I'll do a shoot-out, comparing both to my original UK copy. I'll start a new thread for that.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
  14. ggergm

Video #2 - SD > HD comparison

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
    zphage and Sound of the Suburbs like this.
  15. ggergm

16. Richard 1966

17. Richard 1966

Looking forward to that.

Also ordered the Japanese vinyl.

18. rikki nadir

rikki nadir Gentleman Thug

In case anyone intended to go but missed it so far, this exhibition has been extended until Sunday the 6th of September. This is because for some of the exhibition's original scheduled run, the Museum hosting it was closed due to the pandemic.

London Calling: 40 years of The Clash | Museum of London

I was really sad thinking I had missed it, but I went last week. The day I was planning to visit in March was the day the lockdown really started, so we decided we should abort our plans, even though we actually could have gone without breaking the law.

I am really glad I did - London Calling is my favourite album of all time. The exhibition is small but packed with detail - I loved the part devoted to producer Guy Stevens and his career. Also the summary of the music press coverage of the album and tour. And seeing the amps, guitars, and hand written lyrics and setlists was amazing.

Well worth a visit if you can amanage it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.