The Classic Britcom Q&A Thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by thnkgreen, Jan 17, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thnkgreen

thnkgreen Sprezzatura! Thread Starter

I could not find another thread like this on SHF so I thought I’d start one. I’m a big fan of classic British sitcoms (‘Britcoms’ for short) but I live in and am from The United States of America. In America on Sunday nights my local PBS (Public Broadcasting Station) used to play old re-runs back in the 1990's when I was in high school which were great for putting me (and probably others) in a good mood before drifting off to sleep before beginning another school/work week. Shows like 'Are You Being Served', 'Waiting For God', 'Open All Hours', 'Only Fools and Horses', 'Fawlty Towers', 'Mr. Bean', 'The Black Adder', 'Porridge' and 'Keeping Up Appearances' - brilliant! I created a separate thread about my favorite of the lot, 'Father Ted'. You can find this thread here. Here's an old thread with more about some of these great shows, for those interested.

These shows were not pc, which I find particularly refreshing. People need to lighten up and laugh at one another and the mundane/absurd situations we find ourselves in now more than ever.

Sometimes I don’t get some of the jokes of these great shows. Sometimes I will see a prop like an old car, a book, a logo or something else which I want to better understand yet don’t know who to ask. As I’ve spent time on these forums I’ve encountered many members from across the pond who know a great deal about life in the UK so I thought maybe this thread may be of use to folks like me who want to learn about other cultures and the history of these television programs. I’m going to start off with three questions, one of which I have since learned the answer to.

Question 1: The show is 'Open All Hours'. What is the book that Granville is reading in Season 2, Episode 4?

[​IMG]

Question 2: Same show, 'Open All Hours'. What is the car that Nurse Gladys Emmanuel drives called? It is definitely not American. (I have since discovered that it is called a Morris Minor). I love the look of that car!

[​IMG]

Question 3: The show is called 'Keeping Up Appearances'. On this show there's a character named Onslow. He wears a hat with an 'FH' on it. What does that symbol represent? Bonus question - he loved 'bacon buttys'. What the heck are those??

[​IMG]

Anyone else love these shows but have questions about them?? Post below! :D

Last thing I wanted to mention. I watched a video on YouTube this morning where the top 50 Britcoms of all time were ranked and voted on. Check it out if you'd like to learn more. I wasn't familiar with several that were included in the top 10, though putting 'Are You Being Served' at (I think it was) 19... I highly disagree with that!!

Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
    NickySee likes this.
  2. mradmack

mradmack Roxanne + Geoff.

Hi! Great thread! As a U.K. (Scottish) citizen, I appreciate your love of our sitcoms. Something we excelled at! First things first!
    Question 1. I'm pretty sure it's a book made for the show. I can only assume it's a potboiler in the style of James Herbert or Dennis Wheatley judging by the cover. Something with gore and a bit of sex that would keep Granville hooked till the end ( as is pictured).

Question 2. Very popular, cheap simple car that was made to fill the post war demand for cars. U.K. production ended in 68 I think, but manufacturing continued in India for years after. Designed by the same man who brought you the Mini!

Question 3. I don't recognise the cap logo, or it's significance. Sorry! Bacon butties are...bacon sandwiches. Usually a bread roll, buttered and filled with fried (back) bacon. Streaky bacon, popular in North America, is not eaten as widely in the UK.

You may wish to check out Dave Allen. Very popular Irish comedian, who's TV shows in the 70s were hugely popular and influential. Happy viewing!

3. thnkgreen

Thank you very much for answering my questions. I will look for Dave Allen :wave:

4. Ignatius

Ignatius Forum Resident

Many of these were popular on PBS in the 70s, not only Dave Allen but Python,,The Two Ronnies and No Honestly.
    Don't ask me why PBS removed them except to make room for more pledge drives.:realmad:

HorseyAnn and thnkgreen like this.
  5. thnkgreen

I just recently discovered The Two Ronnies and think it’s a great show. Ronnie Barker can do no wrong as far as I’m concerned.

6. Kevin In Choconut Center

Kevin In Choconut Center Offensive Coordinator

The local PBS station here in the Binghamton area is WSKG and they too, used to run blocks of classic British sitcoms. For several years, that block aired on Saturday nights. Of the ones whose entire run I got to see, "Keeping Up Appearances" and "As Time Goes By" are my two favorites. I really miss being able to watch them every Saturday.

If I had to guess why WSKG dropped all of them, it's probably a combination of burnout and the expense of airing them.

7. DeadParrot

DeadParrot Forum Resident

Have you watched Porridge yet? Acting wise, Ronnie Barker’s finest work.

Also Two Ronnies sketches like Four Candles, Mastermind, Swedish Made Easy & The Swear Box are up there with anything Monty Python did.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
    Derek Slazenger and HorseyAnn like this.
  8. Al Smith

Al Smith Forum Resident

Apparently the FH on Onslow's cap stands for Fulton Hogan, a kiwi earth moving company, according to - Onslow

If you haven't already, keep an eye out for the first series of "Doctor In The House", tv adaptation of the Dirk Bogarde films - first series written by Graham and Bill of The Goodies.

9. Malinky

Malinky Almost a Gentleman.

You are right about Father Ted, it`s hilarious. If you like that check out the recent `Derry Girls` if you can find it anywhere, it`s up there with Father Ted as one of the best comedy shows ever (though you may need subtitles).

smartiepants likes this.
  10. HorseyAnn

HorseyAnn Equine-loving, rhyme-artist

1stly, I'm amazed you didn't mention Dad's Army.

2ndly, I'll answer your question of "What is a bacon butty?". It's a bacon sandwich.

I loved most of the shows you mentioned. I'm glad you like our comedy.

11. HorseyAnn

HorseyAnn Equine-loving, rhyme-artist

Ronnie was brilliant.

12. m5comp

m5comp Classic Rock Lover

Alabama Public Television (the local PBS affiliate) used to show tons of Britcoms; it is where I learned to love "Are You Being Served?' and the follow-up "Grace and Favour"/"Are You Being Served? Again!" Unfortunately APT has dropped them all but "Keeping Up Appearances". I wrote them about it, and they said it was because of the cost of licensing the shows from the BBC. I have all the AYBS? and G&F DVDs and a Britbox subscription, but where is somebody going to be able to discover these shows in the future? YouTube?

13. thnkgreen

Hey thanks! I'd have never guessed that FH logo.

Al Smith likes this.
  14. thnkgreen

'Porridge' is brilliant. I've seen some of the Ronnies sketches you mentioned but will look for the others. Thanks!

HorseyAnn likes this.
  15. thnkgreen

I've heard of this show but not sen it. I will look for it. Thank you!!

16. thnkgreen

'Dad's Army' made the top 10 of the Best Britcoms list I mentioned above. I'll definitely have to look for it. Thank you!!

17. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

Great idea for a UK TV sitcom thread.
    I hope i can find something to say and contribute to it.

On the subject of 'Fools and Horses' the initial early years where it was 30 minute episodes were great.
    But it went to another level when they expanded them to 50 minutes.
    So many memorable Christmas specials too.

HorseyAnn and thnkgreen like this.
  18. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I honestly thought the title said this was a Bitcoin Q&A thread! :help:

Al Smith, Dave S and John B Good like this.
  19. thnkgreen

After doing quite a bit of research it seems the book that Granville is reading above is Curse by Daniel Farson. I cannot find a picture of that exact book anywhere online, but the one on Amazon has the same font so I am 96% sure it's the same book. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Curse-Daniel-Farson/dp/0600321177

mradmack likes this.
  20. thnkgreen

Speaking of 'Only Fools and Horses', the three wheeled van they drive - I've never seen one of those in the US. I remember seeing a blue one in Mr. Bean as well but know nothing about that type of vehicle - a Reliant Regal?

Reliant Regal - Wikipedia

Reliant Regal

21. boyjohn

boyjohn Senior Member

Well, I'm all for PBS being funded through taxes, but since that is probably (ok, definitely) not going to happen, what would be your solution for keeping it (and the individual stations) viable. I'm just curious, as I don't have an answer to that.

22. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

Just finished watching a Complete Ab Fab box (10 DVDs). and found myself wondering whether it could be made in today's climate.

23. thnkgreen

I think for one reason or another most of the shows above would not be made in today's climate.

24. thnkgreen

I think the only answer is a subscription based service, like Britbox on Amazon prime.

25. smartiepants

smartiepants Senior Member

Derry Girls is probably my favourite current TV series, we get it on Netflix here in the UK not sure if its being rerun anywhere else
    the inbetweeners is also very funny but I'm not sure how well the humour would travel

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.